Problem with controlling a roller shutter with smarthings and a fibaro switch (FGRM-222)

Just thinking about stuff you haven’t tried that might help…

I have a similar control routine on a TV Lift device that has two control inputs UP and DOWN like your roller shutters require. Here is the control logic of what I did and possibly could help you.

Instead of a Fibaro I setup dual relays that give momentary pulses (mimics the up and down push button switch that came with the Lift) relay1 contact that closes momentarily for UP and a separate one that the relay2 contact closes momentarily for DOWN. I also use Amazon Echo so it is non-intuitive to say “Turn ON TV Lift Down”, etc. So I added a Virtual Momentary Switch labeled “TV” so that with Alexa I say “Turn on TV” or “Turn off TV”. Then using SmartLighting (smartapp keeps it local control) when TV is ON it, I pulse the TV Lift UP relay1. And when TV is OFF, I pulse the TV Lift DOWN relay2. When I want to stop the TV lift UP movement , instead of sending a repeat signal to the same TV Lift UP relay, I send a command to the TV Lift DOWN which stops the UP action. Don’t know if your setup could work similar but it was something to chew on.

1 Like

OK, then I would suggest another alternative that is device based and not expensive:

How about the same control logic but now using the H801 RGB LED Controller? Basically have the control relays be driven by the H801.

The H801 gives you 5 independent variable channels to control. You just convert the variable voltage output to energize a simple relay. @erocm1231 smartapp allows for very fine control in the milliseconds over each of the channels. So you can easily configure 1800 milliseconds into the channel to basically give you the on-off relay action. I just tested this setup for you and it works.

I know it seems a little weird because the device is designed around RGBW lights but the flexibility of the device handler and smartapp by @erocm1231 gives you what you want. Maybe @erocm1231can chime in here to make sure I am not missing anything concerning the exact timing issues.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback Robin and dalec!!!

I have 15 shutters so buying a controller for each would be a little expensive and I also do not have the space in the fuse box in my tech room…

@dalec: how would that RGB controller work? do I connect the same 220V input that I would connect to the fibaro roller shutter input to that box and then I can control multiple channel?

The RGB controller would send the line power through relay contacts to the Fibara controller on the S1 and S2 terminals.

@anon36505037 I think the cloud delay only affects when it starts the shutters moving. Once the H801 starts the UP/DOWN the pulse would stay on for exactly 1800 millisec. The timing function is all located at the device handler on the hub?

1 Like

Gotcha :slight_smile: ooohhh yeah that does get tricky.

Wow this looks pretty complicated to a noob like me but on the other side it only needs two modules so i would definitely love if this solution works!! I would just need to understand how it works :joy:

I was just thinking if the following would maybe work:

Invert the outputs of the relay so that “OFF” means my rollers go up and then have a hard coded OFF again after 1.8 seconds so thta they stop in the position i need… would that work?

What do I need to get the solution that you propose running? Would one Fibaro Relay Switch be enough if I only want the 1,8 second version and not the normal one also for now?

I just bought two fibaro relay switches and they will be here Tuesday. Once they are here what do I need to do in terms of device settings/software besides wiring them like in the diagram you posted?

Hi,

I am the neighbor from @Bee_Jay :slight_smile:
I have the same problem. I use here 2 Fibaro Switches FGS-222.
But I get an error when i push “configure” with your code to set the parameters.

6c5ea585-b9c1-42a2-91a3-3f4f28804f1a 17:41:46: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘value’ on null object @ line 364
6c5ea585-b9c1-42a2-91a3-3f4f28804f1a 17:41:45: debug Executing ‘configure’

Hi,

I paste the code in the IDE as new Device Handler. Then i assign the new handler to the switch.
After that, i push the “configure” in the ST app.

I always get the error:

6c5ea585-b9c1-42a2-91a3-3f4f28804f1a 19:36:10: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘value’ on null object @ line 364
6c5ea585-b9c1-42a2-91a3-3f4f28804f1a 19:36:10: debug Executing ‘configure’

Line 364 is the first line in the configure-method to set the parametervalues.

Everything works with the device handler, only the “configure” button to set the parametervalues make problems.

I have this one:

I only need to set param4 to 1800ms (1,8 sec.)

input name: “param4”, type: “number”, range: “0…65535”, defaultValue: “18”, required: true,
title: “Parameter No. 4 - Auto off for relay 1. " +
“Available settings:\n” +
”[1 - 65535] (0,1 s – 6553,5 s) Time period for auto off, in miliseconds,\n" +
“0 - Auto off disabled.\n” +
“Default value: 0.”

I have a different scenario like @Bee_Jay.
I only need a signal with 1800ms to bring the roller shutter in the correct position.

At the moment:
o1 open the roller shutter
o2 close the roller shutter

New Scenario:

1. Send “On (o1)” -> for 1800ms -> The Roller shutter get an inpuls with 1800ms and move to the perfect position
    Optional: 2. Off for o1

Finish

Okay. Thanks.
Now it works to set the parameter.

When I set Param4 to 18
The Roller Shutter move 3 times

The roller Shutter go up 3 Times a 1,8 second up.

Param 3 with 0 is correct?

Sorry :slight_smile:
No, it moves 1.8 sec up, then it stop´s for a very small time then go up for 1,8 sec…
3 Times

The Switch1 Button always shine Green in the app.

the link:

o1 from the switch go to 2
o2 from the switch go to 1

The Roller Shutters (22 parts) react on the “Com bus”. Every blind control is connected with a cable to the “com bus” 1 and 2 (yellow in the picture). The fibaro switch is in the cellar. Start in the app “Up” so the signal go to every blind control to “2” and the roller shutter move up.

I am confused.
Now it works with Param4 and 18 (1800ms).
But in the app after the auto off the Switch1 always shine green

It seems like the “auto off” do not change the status of switch1 back to off.

Amazing!!! Thank you so much. I will test this once I receive my two relays and will give you feedback.

I definitely owe you a drink! :slight_smile: