Potential Wiring issue with GE SmartSwitch and Add-on

I have the GE 12727 toggle switch and my light I am assuming is a 2-way switch. I just have 2 wires in my box. There is a black and a white. If I just plug in the 2 wires the light just flickers. What do I do with just 2, is it required to have 3 wires?
Just need a little guidance.

@vpatrick1217, this switch requires load, line and neutral. You do not have a neutral in this box. You only have line and load, so this switch will not work.

1 Like

Just to update this thread - I had an electrician friend of mine over yesterday and had him take look… Power was definitely coming from the light but the wiring is just confusing in this house! the DIY’er who lived here previously was very creative. :slight_smile: Thanks everyone for your help!

I ran into the same thing last week, and found the solution to be counter intuitive.
You are going to need a new true neutral wire to make this work.
If I can find the original post I will update this post.

SW1
line to line
load to load
red to traveler under the tape.
White to capped white.

SW2:
Red traveler to traveler terminal
Ground to ground
Existing white to existing Black wire put cap on them to tei them together.
You will need a new true white neutral.

If you have access to the attic where the wiring is, it possible to fish a neutral wire down the wall(hopefully not an outside wall) to the switch location.

Is there a switch that does not require this so I can put a switch in this room.

Looks like Cooper makes one but you’re limited to incandescent bulbs.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/HomeSeer-Z-Wave-OnOff-Wall-Switch-Comparison-W7.aspx