Please add battery view

Please add a dedicated view in the app that shows the battery status of every sensor at a glance.

I want to be able to check the status of all my sensors in ten seconds and know if any need maintenance. If the app happens to know the type of battery needed it would be helpful if it showed that too, and if it doesn’t it would be nice if I could set it from a list and have it remember it for next time.

2 Likes

A while ago I put together a parent/child SmartApp to give me a view like you want. You can select as many or as few devices as you want, as well as add as many child apps as you’d like to categorize them:

Code if you’d like to give this a try: (save and publish parent first, and then just save the child app in the IDE)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jsconstantelos/SmartThings/master/smartapps/jsconstantelos/dashboard-battery-monitor-parent.src/dashboard-battery-monitor-parent.groovy

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jsconstantelos/SmartThings/master/smartapps/jsconstantelos/dashboard-battery-monitor-child.src/dashboard-battery-monitor-child.groovy

2 Likes

John, that is cool, and I may try it later, but it’s also something that ought to be built in, because once you have a handful of SmartThings devices it gets ridiculous checking them all individually.

2 Likes

I use Action Titles to give me an at a glance view of all my battery levels.

2 Likes

So do I - :wink:!

2 Likes

Here’s another option for device battery monitoring, and a whole lot more.

Agree there should be some sort of battery management feature. I use Actiontiles which shows the current battery level but we need something more comprehensive. I have 20 battery powered devices. The thing is that some of my devices stop communicating once the battery level drops below 57% and other devices fail at completely different battery levels. We need a “Device Health Page” that shows the health status of every device. This should include the current battery level, the last communication date and time that occurred between the device and hub, and some way of verifying or pinging a device to verify its operation. We also need a way to set alerts when a battery level drops below a certain predefined level, or a level set by the user. This seems like very basic stuff that should have been implemented many, many years ago. I don’t know why Smartthings, and now Samsung is so slow to address basic features that are absolutely necessary for any system that is dependent on wireless battery powered devices.