Plan for Updating WebCoRE SmartApp

Hey, I also just wanted to add that this sounds like the best long term solution to me and if the development community will be the ones leading this effort, I’d be interested in pitching in monetarily to help those who do the coding. I hope that anyone working on this makes us aware of their “Donate” button. I frequented the Donate button on the WebCoRE site.

2 Likes

If power remains between 3 and 8 Watts for 60 seconds, Then do stuff.

1 Like

I had that problem too. I brought that to their attention and was treated like I was being a nuisance and they suggested a complicated work around. I found that you can now do that with the standard routines in SmartThings so I didn’t even bother with SharpTools.

I find it funny that SharpTools does not even have the same functionality that the standard routines have and they seem to be in no hurry to update it at all as all new features have to be voted on before they are considered.

1 Like

How dare they listen to voice of the customer! :joy:

On top of dealing with the new SmartThings architecture and making an automatic migration tool, they are actively adding features to the rule engine Rules / Variables based on Date or Calendar - #56 by josh - SharpTools.io (web) - SharpTools Community

6 Likes

SharpTools introduces new features on a regular basis and, yes, they prioritize the release of those features based on user feedback—an astonishing idea that I wish others would adopt. Also, they were a little busy recently trying to prepare for the end of the groovy platform, upon which they previously relied.

Yes, for those coming over from webCoRE, SharpTools is missing a lot of valuable features. But I don’t want new features “hurried,” I want them to work.

Remember, you can always run Hubitat in parallel for those pistons you just can’t port to SmartThings or SharpTools.

5 Likes

Both of those projects are nice but you need to have the basics in place first. You shouldn’t need to ask to get the same functionality as a standard routine in the SmartThings app will get you.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the example. You can create a rule which sets a variable true/false based on if the value is within a the desired range and then react to that variable staying true for your desired period of time.

I can understand the desire for a ‘stays between’ type of trigger and would encourage either of you to post a feature request for it. As @Automated_House and @bthrock mentioned, user feedback is a key part of how we prioritize what we work on.

Jimmy linked to an example of it where we saw an influx of WebCoRE users requesting math and date features, so I developed and released a labs feature within 48 hours to help cover the need… and within a few weeks we built it out as native feature since it gained a significant number of votes.

Is this the post you’re referring to?

5 Likes

Thanks for the example, it seems variables are required for most Sharptools rules. Should be called Sharptools Variables :rofl:
On the same theme, why can’t you use local variables? The global variables will reach in the hundreds for the average home.

And number 3, how come there’s no “If any” as a trigger? Or is that a variable workaround also?

When any of the triggers occur, the rule flow runs. (eg. triggers are always OR).

You can edit an IF Condition and switch it between ‘any’ and ‘all’ (eg. OR / AND)

The ‘average’ home probably doesn’t use variables at all and could get away with the free tier of SharpTools. I agree that many WebCoRE users fit more of the ‘power user’ profile and are more likely to use variables though.

Why? I use Routines for some things and SharpTools rules for other. I don’t need SharpTools spending time coding things I can do natively. I want them to spend time EXTENDING the native capability.

5 Likes

I think the key to switching from WebCore to SharpTools is to go into with the understanding that it is an alternative solution, not a direct 1:1 replacement and was built using different rules logic. It’s no different than when we first learned WebCore logic or now the Rules API. Things are not done the same but once you learn the logic it’s pretty easy. With all the newly added features I was able to completely move off WebCore and maintain all of my complex automations which include http actions, math and date calculations. Not to mention @joshua_lyon and Jimmy are very active and responsive in the Sharptools community and are always willing to help find solutions or workarounds.

Edited for typos

9 Likes

I mean’t, If any of Switch1,Switch2,Switch3,Switch4,Switch5,Switch6,Switch7,Switch8,Switch9,Switch10 changes to on.

Now in Sharptools it seems you have to write…

If Switch1 changes to on

If Switch2 changes to on

If Switch3 changes to on

If Switch4 changes to on

If Switch5 changes to on

If Switch6 changes to on

If Switch7 changes to on

If Switch8 changes to on

If Switch9 changes to on

If Switch10 changes to on

Quite cumbersome and not very elegant.

And number 4, it seems Sharptools can’t toggle a light like WebCoRE and the ST app.
Can’t you just insert the code to check if the light is on or off and do the opposite?

Having to write each time another rule, If Switch1 is on, then turn off Switch1, Else turn on Switch1 is quite peculiar.
A toggle would be simpler, how many votes would this need if I drum up some support for a toggle feature? Just so I know, would 20 votes be enough?

This feature request got a bunch of interest with the WC shutdown Select multiple devices in rule triggers and actions - Feature Requests - SharpTools Community

That’s what I do when needed but its rare that I just want to toggle. More often I’m setting something on or off based on some other condition or event.

Create a virtual switch. Create a routine that sets it to on when any of switch1, 2, 3, etc are set to on. Create your other rules based on the virtual switch state.

1 Like