Particle Photon/Spark Core RGB WS2812B

I am sory because bad english . I have tried many ways but I have failed.Could you describe it in stages as a video?

This post ran it down pretty well.

First of all thank you very much. I am not good at english and turkish. Some video will be more explanatory for me.

Just got my photon, and find your second list of instructions very very helpful, any way to move them to the top of the thread.

My only issue I have is that I have a set of 60 lights I am sure I defined them as 60 in the firmware but i only have 9 lights on and I can not seem to turn them off or on from the mobile app.

Is it a power issue ? I am just trying to power a 1m 60 LED string from a USB based phone charger

I have a strip with 88 lights on one photon so you should not have a
problem, but I would make sure that the power supply is greater than 1
amp. Also check the solder points on the LED strip, not all strips are the
highest quality. Beyond that I would double check that you coded for 60.

Thanks for the help the app in the phone does not seem to do any thing :frowning: right now its strange its not always the same lights that turn on when I unplug and replug the power in. So it could be power (but i have tried a number of different chargers)

Here is my code that I changed

> #define PIXEL_COUNT 60

I had to use the desktop IDE as I was having issues flashing on the cloud IDE

I have tried to attached some screen shots of the lights on and also the wiring harness that my lights came with. There was a connector that I removed and then soldered on breadboard connectors. Maybe there is a better way of wiring it up I could solder direct to the pads or maybe cut 5 off and try and work with that. The connector that is on both ends I think is for daisy chaining it has 3 wires green/red/white and then there are 2 single wires white/red on each end I was guessing this might be for more power ?. Any way I removed one of the connectors to get access to the ground pin.

Right now this is the charger I am using

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA5NV32M1398

what is everyone else using to power the particle photon ?

Are these lights ws2813b?

Thank you for the reply no these lights should be WS2812B’s I also posted a pic of the end connector

Oh, ha, I see what it is ws2812b is directional. You have it connected on the wrong end.

Did you get a chance to reverse the flow? I did this once too when I was
setting up a light painting device for behind my projector screen. You
have to check the arrows on the ws2812b and make sure your data and power
are flowing the same way as the arrows.

I redid the other end , redid the firmware uploaded plugged it all in and nothing :frowning:

I put the wire direct to the ground and the volt pin and I got a few lights on. I can’t believe it’s the bread board but I ordered another one and will try and test the breadboard pins.

It still does not react to the mobile app so I am kind of at a loss, is it power, the leds, the breadboard or a bad proton .

I kind of stepped away as it was driving me nuts. But tonight I will try and document and retest things and post what I find.

If you have time could you post the power supply that you use to drive your loops or post a pic of your wiring? Maybe it’s just something simple that I am missing.

But again thanks for all your help in this thread

I moved to a new breadboard as it just got delivered super fast shipping from China and perfect size for the project. I then started looking at the insulated end and of the LEDs I removed the white insulated tape and found that green does not mean it’s the ground wire. Rewired on the but nothing not sure if maybe I have damaged the strip or what the problem is. But as others have said going to pull out my hair on what should be a simple project.

Looks like the green wire is the one that should go to D2 pin, the whites are your grounds, reds the 5vs

This is one of the best projects I’ve seen on here. Has anyone created Firmware/device handlers with some cool effects to show what the addressable strips can do? I tried the kitchen version but wasn’t working well for me, so I’m using the template version. It works well, but it’s basically makes it a regular rgbw strip defeating the purpose of the addressable LEDs.

Yes, I will try to upload the code for ND and Chicago Bears touchdown celebrations. I have used the chasing lights sequence to stripe 8 blue 8 gold ( blue and orange for Chicago) and it chases those colors alternating all the way down the strip.

Nice, would that give me the ability in the device to push buttons for different effects? Right now this is what it looks like, and the alerts button just turns them white:

Would you also consider adding instructions on how to update the codes if someone wanted to add their own effects? I’ve seen other sketches with some really neat things. It would be cool to use those in this.

1 Like

That should be the updated file with more butttons for effects…

To update the actual colors you will have to go into the photon rgb template firmware and go down to the void GoND and void GoBears. Inside of those you will find
strip.setPixelColor(L,0,0,255);
else
strip.setPixelColor(L,255,0,0);
the 0,0,255 and 255,0,0 are the alternating color sequences you can change them to whatever RGB colors you like.

If you would like to call different effects then replace the GoND in the if command == ‘5’ with a call to a different function.

Thanks Justin. Looking at how you changed things I was able to figure out how to keep the current effects and also add a button in the Device handler to call a command for the Theater Chase that was already in the your Spark code. I tried to copy in a “fire” effect code but it didn’t work. If a code was written for Arduino should it work with the Photon or does it need to be altered?

Photon and arduino are similar and their libraries have a lot in common,
but not everything works. There best way is just to give it a shot.
That’s how I put together this project was using an arduino based neopixel
code set and adapting it to what I needed.

I actually used to use that theater chase code to run before my lights
turned on. Since I am using these as home theater accent lights when I
turn the main switch on I have commands that fire to turn on the home
theater accent lights.