Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot.

Well, I did get it working, even though it was still a bit bumpy. Took the first bulb downstairs (which is the same floor as the hub) and reset it. Ran through the pairing again. It still didn’t seem to complete setting up the device properly (it kept spinning in the ST app after the light blinked to indicate pairing) but this time when I backed out the “to be configured” device was properly identified as the right type. I finished configuring it, and the properties showed up correctly and I was able to turn it off and on and manipulate the color temperature.

Then I put the second bulb (which I hadn’t get done anything with) into the same lamp and tried setting it up. It did the same thing the first bulb did. After the first pairing, it only came up as a generic thing. I reset it like the first bulb, and it paired successfully the second time, but with the same caveat as above of not completing the configuration on its own.

Not sure what that’s all about, but in the end, my bulbs are working. Thanks again for the help!

I have one Cree bulb connected right now with you any issues for about a year. The one issue I had just like most of all my issues I jack around with the setup and mess something up, then I have to go back and fix it. I just installed 6 Osram mini garden lights to the front of my house. They look great and work great! I have them on a schedule for the past 2 months and no problems.

I’m doing just that with a devolo paddle switch which is set to change mode between the automated mode…I.e. Various instances of smart lights smartapp and manual which leaves them off so GF doesn’t get annoyed when they randomly switch on (based on motion) when she is sat reading in the day time…

Not fitted a luminance sensor yet so have the various smartapp instances set against sunrise/ sunset and then lower levels at set times

Out of curiosity, are there any smart apps that can manipulate the color temperature of these bulbs?

Most popular is @Kristopher Circadian rhythm app that changes the color temp throughout the day to mimic the sunlight.

I think Rule Machine has added Color Temp or will soon. That should give you lots of options.

No stock ST apps that I know of. If you have something particular in mind, someone here can probably help you out.

1 Like

@Simon_Goldberger thanks, i’ll dig around and see if i can find something like that here in the states.

i’m pretty set at this point on ditching the wemo and lifx and just getting smartthings and some dimmer switches, but it would be good to have on/off by my bed as a button/switch.

Thanks, that helps. I’ve installed Circadian Daylight. I think that’s the kind of thing I was looking for. I checked out Rule Machine, which could be interesting, but it doesn’t look to do color temp yet, only full color changing bulbs.

Thanks for letting us know your experiences @Kristopher i was a bit reluctant to upgrade all the bulbs so this was great to know. just over half done now - really wish i had switches (and your script to simplify the process!)

Yeah resetting them is really a pain. ST says you can do it with 3 second intervals but the manual says 5 second.

I just got my first, and only Osram bulb. I was wondering if there is a way to have the light turn on when a presence sensor returns home. Basically I’d like the light to come on in the hallway for X amount of minutes when presence sensor A or B or C have arrived and if it dark outside (sunset, or specified time)

Thank you.

Use the Smart Lighting app to turn on when someone arrives after Sunset. The only limitation is that you can’t turn it off after a certain amount of time.
The Smart Rules app on iOS also can provide similar features and turn it off after a delay.

1 Like

Ohh wow I didnt even dive further into that app. Thank you! can use the Smart Light Timer to turn off after x min.

In order to avoid my wife from flipping the physical switch on/off i have to install a zigbee or z-wave light switch so it syncs up?

I see that GE sells both a zigbee and z-wave ver. any benefit using one or the other for the Osram light?

I don’t see a way to turn the light off after x min after being turned on after arrival. That might be a suggestion for ST to add that feature. You can turn the light off after it stops seeing motion, but it would have to be triggered on with motion. Any help here from anyone else?

Second, don’t put the Osram bulb on a controlled switch because you’ll have competing programs trying to manage the light. Either use a smart bulb or a smart switch.

Finally, if you do want to add bulbs or switches, try to stick to the same system, so if you use Zigbee bulbs (like the Osram), then try to find Zigbee switches. Some Zigbee and Zwave devices “repeat” the signal and can extend your wireless range for that type of device. It is OK to mix and match, I have several of both kinds, so they all are repeating and reach as far as my detached garage!

1 Like

There’s nothing built into ST to do complex stuff like this. @Tolik, take a look at Rule Machine and Trigger Happy threads. You’ll have to sign-up for the IDE access as a developer, and be able to copy-paste code from Github; but there are lots of FAQs that will walk you through it. Both those apps are very flexible and powerful, and there’s a thread dedicated to helping folks get the logic correct.

I completely agree about choosing bulbs or switches not both, and to stick to one protocol for the benefit of a stronger mesh if possible.

The issue is my wife keeps flipping the light switch. She doesn’t want to use her phone to turn it on.

In theory, it would make sense to stick with one protocol, but in practice many community members are using zwave switches with zigbee bulbs and it all works out OK. You just need enough devices of both types.

Don’t mix a networked dimmer switch to control the current load to networked dimmer bulbs, but just an on/off switch should be OK and a lot of people do use them to increase the family acceptance factor. (It’s also fine to use a networked dimmer switch, often battery-operated, as a kind of " remote" to control a networked dimmer bulb as long as the instructions are just sent by network command, not current change.) Choice is good. :sunglasses:

Z wave is more popular for fixed point devices like residential light switches in part because it doesn’t run into interference from Wi-Fi. Zigbee can. Since the usual first step in reducing interference is to slightly reposition things, that’s typically a lot easier with a battery operated motion sensor than a light switch.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Z-wave_versus_Zigbee

2 Likes

I had to remove the little round switch from all my lamps because friends and family kept manually turning them off. I also have put tape over some switches. It’s not pretty, but It works until people get the idea.

I like the idea of having the option to turn the light on/off with a wall switch. The automation part i’d like mostly for simple things like coming home and the light being on already or if motion is detected etc.

Different people have different use cases. In my case we have a lot of people coming through the house, both healthcare workers and my housemates friends, and they don’t necessarily have any access to our home automation system (or even necessarily have smart phones to begin with). So having some traditional switches is helpful.

We also use the Amazon echo for voice control a lot. Everyone likes that one. :smile:

2 Likes