On or off indication for Attic exhaust fan

sometimes you can fix your issues with balancing the registers (dampers). Those closer to the fan/cooling source get a higher pressure, so they should be opened LESS than dampers farther from the fan.

Filters must be clean for HVAC to work as designed. Does it get better when you take the filter out temporarily? Maybe you have the wrong type/too-restrictive for your system.

Lower attic temp can help reduce system load.

Ceiling fan in the room, can reduce need for cooling, and they are cheap to operate.

You may even be able to select a higher speed termination on your existing fan motor. Note that speed might be too much flow for your ductwork.

Otherwise you could try smart vents and do time scheduling of rooms. Fun.

1 Like

I change the filters religiously. But will check if it gets better with the filter out temporarily.

When I had my HVAC guy service my new home AC and Hot Air system he told me that the Filtrate filters put a strain on the fan as they restrict flow way to much. He suggested the less expensive filters and change monthly instead of every three months. It did make an improvement. But as I had mentioned before return and supply vents in the proper locations and booster fans were needed did the trick for me.

So I was browsing the community for ā€œhigh temperatureā€ and found this thread. My ask is somewhat related, looking to you all for advice/recommendations. Iā€™m looking for a way to monitor attic temperatures. Background: I live in Phoenix, AZ in a 2 story home, and I have concrete roof tiles. During the summer my roof temp can exceed 170Ā° F, and attic temps in excess of 140Ā°F. I prefer a sensor system to be run on 120v vs battery. The sensors Iā€™ve been looking at either cannot accurately measure/register temps over 125Ā°F or the sensor itself cannot be located in an environment over 104Ā°F. My primary use is monitoring. Secondary would be to control an attic fan through a Z-Wave outlet. Any information would be useful. Thanks in advance. Eric

I allow the automatic temperature and humidity controller on my fan to turn it on and off, but I have a Zigbee switch that reads watts inline with the fan control. This switch stays on all the time and I use a piston to sense the watts and turn on an indicator showing fan on or off by watts.

Which switch are you using? Iā€™m looking to do the same thing you are.

There arenā€™t many out there in terms of zigbee wall switches, but it could be GEā€™s Zigbee paddle switch (thatā€™s my bet at least). I love these things, and I have many of them in my home (29, and more coming).

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-Compatible-Monitoring-45856GE/dp/B019HTH2A0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ge+zigbee&qid=1552650478&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Thereā€™s also Smartenitā€™s zigbee device:

Thanks. Zigbee or Zwave is fine. My other paddle switches are ZWave.

1 Like