Official Google Nest Integration (January 2021)

Was anyone able to get a temperature reading not just from the thermostat itself but from the additional temperature sensor?

This one https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_temperature_sensor

You canā€™t, unfortunately

So unfortunately the Nest items are not in the IDE which means that they canā€™t be added to ActionTiles.

Only being available in the ST app isnā€™t really a full integration.

Does this work with google assistant instead of alexa?
I dont find any option to run a routine except with voice.

Is there any play around this?

Google havenā€™t implemented this yet natively in Google home. You can just do voice or time at the moment. But they have revamped their routine UI recently so I imagine there will be more triggers soon! You would have thought Google would have done this for their own system before SmartThingsā€¦

Lol true.

I could use alexa but im not sure if i can use the cast feature to a chromecast?

Has anyone seen when setting the Nest temp in a scene that the heat shows (for me) Fahrenheit but the cooling shows in Celsius?

If I set heat and cool then it changes the 72F to 72C. Iā€™m not sure if it really changes F to C but it displays that in the app.

Why one in Fahrenheit and one in Celsius? Iā€™m hoping this is a bug. Iā€™d rather not have to convert to set a cooling temp.

i have seen one other user report that issue.

Yes this happens to me also, I believe this relates to users who use Celsius rather than Fahrenheit as defaultā€¦

It also seems to change each rime I load the app, sometimes it will show the temperature as Fahrenheit and heating temperature as Celsius and vice versa

Samsung seems to prefer Fahrenheit.

No, I use Fahrenheit not Celsius so donā€™t think that would be my issue at least.

Mine hasnā€™t changed, heat is F and cool is C each and every time.

I hope ST might have an idea or at least looking at it otherwise Iā€™ll have some issues come spring.

Anyone any information on whether Smartthings will add a placeholder for the thermostats in the IDE so that it can work with other smartapps?

It will not work with groovy smartapps due to the architecture being different.

So it basically will only work with the lame automations in the new app and nothing else right now?

Correct. If you need to use webcore, just make a virtual switch to act as a relay.

It doesnā€™t work with any API or architecture. Only works with the SmartThings app.

@Brad_ST can we get some confirmation as to whether the ability to turn cameras on and off from ST is forthcoming?

This is just junk. I really regret moving off my still working NST Manager integration to this.
Surely this is just a stop gap integration and theyā€™ll improve on thisā€¦

1 Like

I think itā€™s google being stupid.

The nest x yale lock was basically abandoned after it was launched, now that the secure system is discontinued itā€™s completely useless and thereā€™s no reason to buy it over the zwave version. I canā€™t believe they still sell it and I donā€™t expect it to come to ST.

As for the protects they added them to google home but they still donā€™t work with Alexa.

I hope they add the ability to see temperature sensors, turn cameras on and off, and add the protects in to SmartThings. Currently the integration is half baked.

Obviously most of us would have preferred that Google didnā€™t shut down nest as a separate company.

3 Likes

Re. 3. yes, I have the same issue. Mode sort of provides the state information, butā€¦

I also find that switching between Eco and Heat via the Nest app changes the mode in SmartThings to Heat,
but the reverse does not,
i.e. switching between Heat and Eco via the Nest app does not change the mode in SmartThings to Eco

I also found that the RBoy RLA smartapp (highly recommended) does not recognise the Nest as a thermostat, but Iā€™ve worked around this by setting up a virtual switch to control the Nest thermostat mode.

1 Like

I donā€™t have cooling but mine also randomly switches between Celsius and Farenheit for heating.