[OBSOLETE] Xioami Zigbee Door/Window Sensor, Motion Sensor, & Smart Button Device Type

And i played with the door sensor too. It is NO circuit. When you move the magnet close to the magnetic reed switch, it will close the circuit and report the status to ST. I managed to hook it to arduino and use it to close the circuit based on input from a sensor. And i just ordered a couple sensor which returns a digital output of High when it detects something. The output should be able to control a relay or some switch

try giving the pairing switch a short press, it might bring the connection back alive.

Done!!! Except the temp sensorsā€¦

Using the method I mentioned above, I connected a total of 5 motion sensors, 2 switches, and 10 window/door sensor (some were already installed, so that took a bit longer)

Hereā€™s a screenshot of the list of devices I managed to connect, ones without a specific name is just connected to the hub, but not installed. Ones with specific name are installed in the said area. Hopefully it will all stay working.

great! The temp sensor, plug, and wall switch is always the troubled one.

Hi Rave, Iā€™ve got the ZigBee ID for the temperature sensor from the Xiaomi app, but Iā€™m quite new at this and still donā€™t quite understand how to add it in the IDE, what do you mean by getting the Network ID from Hub log?

when I was pairing with ST, I check the Hub log, and it shows a lot of these, and it appears the hub is getting status update instead of pairing info every time I click the button.

2016-12-14 4:28:04.836 AM PST
moments ago HUB humidity: 71.12% humidity: 71.12% humidity: 71.12% false
2016-12-14 4:28:04.742 AM PST
moments ago HUB temperature: 26.83 temperature: 26.83 temperature: 26.83 false

My switch just reported offline as I was reading your post!

hmm that is interesting. I know when the magnet is close to the reed switch it will send a signal - from door opened to closed. I might just short the reed switch and see what happens then. I was testing the DI+ & GND terminals on the door sensor. If they were closed it reports the door as closed and when they open it reports the door as open. So I guess it does send a signal either way. Thinking about it more I know why I keep thinking this is a NC circuit when technically its just 2 different statuses (interpreted by the gateway) - If i were to use the xiaomi app to do the automation - ie having the window sensor as the smoke alarm, it wont work because in the xiaomi app you can only set a scene when the door is open and not when the door closes. with ST this wonā€™t be a problem though.

You can actually set a scene when a the sensor is opened or closed. These are the options i see in the app

Window/Door opens
Window/Door closes
Window/Door has been opens for more thanā€¦

obviously, you canā€™t use the third option

There should be one event that start with ā€œcatchallā€. Thereā€™s a network ID inside. Maybe something like this
catchall: 0104 0008 0A 01 0140 00 EC9A 00 00 0000 0B 01 0400

EC9A is the network Id

And what you see there is exactly the problem. The zigbee device is paired to ST and start sending data but ST did not fully complete the pairing process. Hence, you donā€™t see the device in ST

I just looked and you are right. I swear that close option was not in the app when I checked two weeks ago. Iā€™ve updated it twice now so maybe it was implemented from an update?

So it now looks like both the switch and door sensor will do the trick for my smoke alarm idea. awesome!

1 Like

Not sure what I did to get the temp sensors working but it was an all night deal. There are 2 states the lights will flash single and double flash, long press will get it from one to the other. I think I did long press to the single flash state then shirt presses.

Nothing special just a lot of trying. And still reporting this morning.

When you long press, youā€™ll see a short light. That is the pairing process. The second time you long press, the long light means it is unpairing

I think what Rave means is the log you see when you click on ā€œLive Loggingā€ at the top.

I see a single flash and double flash, not long and short.

Xiaomi just increases the price for Motion sensor, Switch and Plug around 15~20%. Still cheap though. I managed to snatch a few of them at their original price from an unofficial store. So far, i will have 5 plug, 5 motion sensor and 5 switch.

One interesting thing, my internet connection went down for 10 minutes today, of course the ST lighting automation failed. Surprisingly, using Xiaomi Hub and its app, the zigbee devices shows as offline but automation did work. And whats even more surprising is i can actually control other Wifi devices such as wifi plug and air purifier from the app without internet connection.

I think iā€™m gonna move away from ST slowly and implement Home Assistant or other local home automation that does not depends too much on the cloud.

@Rave what DH are you using for the Temp Sensor? iā€™m using the SmartSense Temp/Humidity Sensor one but it doesnā€™t seem accurateā€¦

Good news, all the devices Iā€™ve connected before is still online and activeā€¦ Iā€™ll give the temp/humidity sensor a shot later on in the afternoonā€¦ Good thing they are all online and active. :slight_smile:

Just connected all my sensors, including all 6 of my temperature sensors. Thank you Rave!!! It is so nice to have the tips and tricks needed to get it up and running, especially with the ability to go behind the regular GUI and set it up when it wouldnā€™t do so normally.

I agree it would be much more reliable if we donā€™t have to depend on STā€™s cloud to have automation work. The ability to run everything with internet cut off is nice. I wonder if it is a good idea to get stuff like Jilia Pi and slap it on a Raspberry Pi3 https://www.centralite.com/products/jilia-pi Since this company also makes a lot of STā€™s stuff, it should be pretty well made.

As for Xiaomiā€™s system, Iā€™m not sure if it is because Iā€™m in Canada, but to me it is very very very slow, yes, the gateway will respond to automation really fast, like button presses and stuff. However, the app communicating with the gateway is very slow here, some times the gateway even crashes. It just felt too alpha software too me. Since I didnā€™t have much faith in Xiaomiā€™s software anyways, I never intended to use the gateway for more than testing out the sensorsā€¦ so I guess Iā€™m good here. :slight_smile: Not to mention it saved me a lot of time when connecting temperature sensor to ST. :slight_smile:

@David_Wei what part of Canada you in??

One of my temp sensors isnā€™t reporting, i think i mucked it up. stuck in single flash and i cant get it to double flashā€¦

Thinking single flash is pairing and double flash is reporting modes.

For those with the temp sensors are you getting Zigbee ID reporting in IDE? Neither of mine are, just Device Network ID.