[OBSOLETE] .. Updated Open Source Ecobee Device Type and SmartApps

Had to uninstall this. Kept loosing connection. Don’t know why but I have 8 sensors which are key to my home automation. When they stop working, stuff stops working. Dang.

Hello, looking for some help.
After installing the Ecobee(Connect) SmartApp and entering my ecobee credentials, when I hit Done I get this error message in the Live Logging.
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method format() on null object @ line 765

And on my phone screen I get a message “An unexpected error has occured”

I have OAuth enabled and actually get the green “Ecobee(Connect) is now installed and automating” and I see the OAuth token in the Live logging as well. Did some searching but will admit I am new to SmartThings and still figuring things out. I did searches for this issue before posting and couldn’t find any info so I am hoping someone can help me.
Thanks in advance.
J

I’ll try to look at it tomorrow.

Just to make sure, did you install the Thermostat and Sensor device types?

Yes, Device Handlers for both are installed.

Not sure if it helps or not, but the “Smartthings” Ecobee (Connect) seems to work, and I can even switch the sensors to your device type, but when I change the thermostat the Smartthings app on my phone crashes.

Also just tried removing everything and starting over with the same result

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method format() on null object @ line 765

Thanks for your help Stryker!!
J

Hmmm, okay, looking at line 765 it is:

atomicState.sunriseTime = sunriseAndSunset.sunrise.format("HHmm").toDouble()

Which should only be reached if you do not have a Timezone set for your location. But that must mean that this is failing:

def sunriseAndSunset = getSunriseAndSunset()

Bus since getSunriseAndSunset is a native SmartThings function I’m not sure why it would fail to return a value!

Do you perhaps not have a location set for your Hub?

That is exactly what the problem was. I went in and set my location and all is good now.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

J

1 Like

The API disconnected again today (I’m not sure if it’s related to the SmartApp issues today). I went to reauthorize and after entering Ecobee credentials, logging in and then hitting Accept, it redirects back to a SmartThings login page. Not able to authorize even after logging into that.

Are there still issues with SmartApps currently affecting this? Or did something change in the API or an OAuth change? Anyone else have this issue?

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I closed the app and then tried again and it worked the second time.

This is starting to get annoying! Mine disconnected today as well.

I am not aware of any backend changes that have been made. So not sure what is causing things to be more unstable recently.

Not that I don’t like your code. I’ve been using it for quite some time. I’m just curious about the official ecobee integration. What are the pros and cons of switching to it?

The official Ecobee device just does the basic thermostat, motion and humidity capabilities. Some additional features available with this DTH:

1. Special ecobee comfort settings
  2. Fan control EDIT: Fan mode (auto)
  3. Weather information
1 Like

The stock one does has fan control.

It is also very stable and does not lose its connection with the cloud.

I could not get the stock ST integration to work correctly to control my
smart vents. This integration has been very stable for me with very few
exceptions (usually related to ST having trouble). I am using an Ecobee 3
ver 1 with 7 remote sensors and 14 Keen smartvents controlled with Keenect
ver 1. I have not retried the stock integrations since I set things up many
months ago and I have not tried the ST Ecobee integration with the new
Keenect ver 2 yet.

This sounds pretty good.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a Rule Machine replacement? I should really move away from it as it’s no longer supported.

Strongly recommend CoRE. As far as I’ve seen, it does everything RM did and more.

1 Like

It also had support for Routines integration. And had support for turning off (or alerting) based on contact sensors.

First of all, thanks for your hard work on this. It’s the community here that really makes Smartthings such an amazing home automation ecosystem.

I was just wondering if anyone else is having any any problems with the smartapp on the latest version of Android? I can’t adjust the heat up or down with the up/down arrows. It doesn’t appear like they are registerting any finger presses. The slider does work, but the circles that display the temp to the right of the slider are not displaying properly. It looks like the temperatures are out of the circles at the bottom right, so you can just see the tops of the numbers but can’t make them out. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? It seems like it might be a bug, but I don’t want to automatically assume that.

kept getting disconnected form ecobee with this smart app (almost every other day)

switched to the stock ecobee app and have not seen a disconnect in over a week and no issues integrating with my Keen vents

I do miss the ability to put the thermostat in home/away mode with SHM and have to manually switch the thermostat temp to achieve savings

Same here. Months, many month, can’t remember when (or if) it failed (I’m sure it has once when the ecobee server was down for maintenance). Incredibly reliable.

I wrote an app that controls my home and away “functions”. I have it set home or away based on presence (someone home = home, no one home = away). When I (or my wife) come home, it resumes programming. When we leave it sets the new temp (overriding the thermostat). It works well. No issues - No complaints.

The official ecobee app doesnt have the ability to set the thermostat to Home, Away or Sleep?