[OBSOLETE] .. Updated Open Source Ecobee Device Type and SmartApps

Thanks for the reply. I reauthorized it and it works.Question. When I came into the app this morning I noticed that the data had not been updated since last night, when I reauthorized it. Is this normal that the data is not refreshed until you go into the app and hit refresh?

@StrykerSKS thanks so much for this! I received/installed an Ecobee3 last night and today installed your wonderful app.

I set up Routine Handlers to set the Comfort Setting based on Smartthings Mode change and I ran across one issue. Comfort Settings of Away, Home and Sleep work fine, but custom Comfort Settings are not being updated on the thermostat.

Any suggestions?

No, this is not normal. But I suspect this is a platform issue as Iā€™m seeing this same issue with other devices (such as my Schlage lock). Iā€™ve been troubleshooting an issue for the last hour or so with my lock and finally realized that the app wasnā€™t refreshing automatically even though I can see in the Live Logs that the platform knows that it is a state change.

Iā€™ll try to take a look at this over the weekend. In the meantime would you mind opening up an Issue in github (if you have an account):

Also, if you have any log information that might help me track things down, please include it in the issue.

I just have to say thanks for all the hard work, I tried to use other Ecobee/Smartthing Connections, and did not have as much success as I have had with this version. I love everything about it and how it is connecting with my set-up. However I have 2 areas that I was wondering about.

1. Is it possible to adjust the Ecobee ā€œminimum fan runtimeā€? I would like to adjust my AC fan run more often at night.

2. Is it possible to use other sensors in conjunction with Ecobee sensors to find the average temperature in the house? Is the Watchdog Devices feature?

Thanks

Iā€™ve got some hooks in place to support this. I need to revisit the implementation. It gets a bit tricky as Minimum Fan Runtime is a thermostat setting and not tied to a mode. So setting the value will keep it that value until changed back, doing a ā€œResumeā€ will not change it back. So implementing this in a way that doesnā€™t cause strange interactions with other features is critical, but I also want to avoid having to store too much state information.

There is no way to feed sensor data from non Ecobee sensors back to the Ecobee. They use proprietary sensors. The only option would be to use a combination of the Ecobee sensors, external sensors and a custom SmartApp to control the Ecobee completely manually, which sorta defeats the purpose of the Ecobee (might was well get a basic Z-wave thermostat in that case).

There are some SmartApps out there that could do that for you and you can use the sensors that are exposed with them if you wanted.

The Watchdog Devices were a workaround for the issues with Timers in the platform. Since the timers have been fixed I will be removing the Watchdog Devices feature in the next main update. It can actually cause more harm than good if used incorrectly (too much polling, etc).

Iā€™m showing a last poll at 7/19/16 at 17:23:16 EDT in my ST app. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s not normal, but I havenā€™t messed with this app since i installed it on 7/13. Hitting refresh does not update it. Thoughts?

Youā€™ll likely need to reauthenticate. There have been some platform anomalies that might have caused an issue.

Click the Gear when in the Thermostat screen, then Guided Setup. Then go back and reauthenticate (even if it says it is connected).

Thanks! There has been no change. Should i notice something immediately?

Thanks @StrykerSKS. This ecobee device handler was just what I was looking for and works great. I can now do everything I want without IFTTT.

@marx, I also noticed the smart app routine bug with setting custom comfort settings. I did find a workaround with CoRE. If you setThermostatProgram to Smart1, Smart2, etc you can set a custom climate.

Keep getting the ā€œThermostat is disconnectedā€ message couple of times a day. Logging in over and over again even though the application shows itā€™s connected. I think the thermostat is not responding to CoRE commands either. Any ideas?

1 Like

Same issue for me. I had to uninstall the app, it was too annoying.

Did the case matter (eg Smart1 vs smart1)? That might be what is causing the issue.

Sorry you were having an issue. Did it always do
It or only recently? Any info on your setup that might help troubleshoot?

Yes the case did matter. It did not work when I tried it the other way.

For any of you that use Ask Alexa, I have submitted some code to @MichaelS to see if he will integrate Climate modes Home, Away, Sleep and Resume Program using this device handler.

How did you contact me? I havenā€™t seen it, but am happy to add another custom device. Just FYIā€¦you get to beta test this for me as I donā€™t have that device to test myself :slight_smile:

PM me with the details if you havenā€™t already.

@StrykerSKS - Would it be possible to add an attribute that lists the custom comfort settings? I would like to integrate these with Ask Alexa. I have written some code to do this based on what you have but I donā€™t think it integrated as well as it could be.

As a working test I added this attribute to the device type:

attribute "availableCustomPrograms","string"

And this function:

private def updateAvailableCustomPrograms(customPrograms) {
    def tempCustomList = parent.getAvailablePrograms(this) - ["Home", "Away", "Sleep"]
    if (customPrograms != tempCustomList) {
        customPrograms = tempCustomList
        generateActivityFeedsEvent("availableCustomPrograms = " + customPrograms)
        sendEvent("name":"availableCustomPrograms", "value":"${customPrograms}", descriptionText: "Updated Custom Climate Setting List", displayed: false, isStateChange: true)
    }
    return customPrograms
}

Though it may end up being better if this exists in the parent

I ended up calling this from the poll function but Iā€™m certain there is a better way to do this

def availableCustomPrograms = updateAvailableCustomPrograms(availableCustomPrograms)

Having some trouble with the open contact child smartapp. The last several trigger instances donā€™t seem to have actually changed the HVAC state (despite it being set for HVAC & Notify). I see in the notifications where the smartapp recognizes that contacts are open/closed, but doesnā€™t seem to move on actually making the changes. Is anyone else having issues with this, or perhaps thereā€™s something I can check into?

When did you see the trouble? If it was this morning then you were probably impacted by the server maintenance that Ecobee was doing. When their cloud is down there is not way to send over the commands.