[OBSOLETE] Peanut Plug with Smartthings? (DTH in post 35)

That link doesn’t seem to work.

I just tried it and it worked for me. Weird. You can search for the title “Securifi Peanut Plugs” and it should come up.

It looks like that thread may be access protected in some way. I can’t get there either, and it gives me the error “Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!”

Oh! I see what happened. I sent you the link to a message conversation between me and another user. I wasn’t on my PC at the time, so I thought he and I were conversing under this topic. We didn’t figure anything out, so neither of us updated this topic.

@WellBalanced Did you figure out how to update the Peanut Plug from ST, or are you updating them with an Almond hub?

I’m using the Almond, but they still don’t report usage properly after updating, and they don’t always update.

I bought an Almond 2015 on eBay that was advertised as “not working, for parts only”. I thought I might be able to resurrect it, particularly if it was a simple problem. Unfortunately, the issue is beyond my skill and familiarity with the platform to repair. It sometimes starts up with a blank white screen, sometimes the front LED comes on but the screen stays off. If anyone is interested in this, please DM me.

I just submitted a pull request to @pakmanwg to add handling for voltage and amperage to the Peanut Plug DTH. When I have a chance, I plan to look into adding the Retain State option. If I feel particularly ambitious, I may tackle OTAU.

1 Like

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

I stumbled across this DTH after owning the peanut for a month. I was hoping since it was so new it would have the new firmware but thats looking like a nojoy since in the ST CL App im not seeing power readings. Stinks they didn’t do that from the factory. Going to leave a review on amazon, only way to get some attention!

Jamesham

Excellent, I just merged your pull request. The device handler works much better with your code instead of the guess work I did before. Thanks.

1 Like

For anyone else having issues pairing the new batches being sent out after Christmas

Install the device handler above BEFORE pairing and smartthings will recognize it.
I tried to pair it a dozen times without the handler and the plug would stop blinking, like it had connected to the ZigBee network, but nothing showed on the App.

Once you add the device handler, it will auto choose Peanut Plug when pairing.

Thank you pakmanwg!

Just got two Peanut plugs from the recent Amazon deal. I can’t get them to pair.

Using ST Link with Nvidia Shield
Have tried both classic and new app.
I also tried to install it manually using the new app with the GE Zigbee outlet type.

I’ve attempted to pair it across the house, in the same room as my hub, and plugged into the power strip my hub is plugged into (can literally set the link on top of the switch).

When I plug in the plug (or reset it), the pairing indicator flashes 5-6 times and then goes solid green (or out, depending on the switch power status), and nothing gets found in the app, even after letting it sit for 4-5 min searching.

If I unplug my hub, the pairing indicator flashes for several minutes before timing out.

I tried dfisher’s suggestion to install the device handler first, to no avail.

Anyone have a suggestion?

That may be reason right there.

I have some ZigBee devices that were not able pair / maintain a connection to the SmartThings Link. I threw it in a drawer and bought a v2 hub.

THanks for the suggestion. I’m not sure if it’s the right solution because I was talking to a guy on a ST group on facebook last night with the exact same issue who uses a V2 hub.

However, this could be the time to upgrade. . These would actually be the first zigbee devices on my ST hub, so I have no idea if zigbee is the source of the problem with my hub. I still have most of my HA stuff on Wink because I’m too lazy to move it, and because I didn’t want to move it all onto the link only to have to migrate to a regular hub later on. It might be time to take the plngue.

So I removed the Link as the culprit. I found a local Home Depot with a V2 hub on clearance and set it up tonight. I have the exact same issues I described above. If I put the Peanut in pairing mode, it will stay in pairing mode until I search for a new device on the ST Classic app. Within 2-3 seconds of starting a search, pairing stops flashing, but the hub never finds the device.

I literally just spent an hour going through the same ordeal. I finally found that if I install and publish the device type handler using the github information earlier in this thread through the ide, then follow the pairing procedures it worked fine. For some reason I had to have the device type handler installed first.

I had forgotten about that step with my new hub. I just installed the DH and got them paired with ease. So it appears that Veeceeoh was correct about my issue being with the ST Link.

Thank you to all of you for your help and input!

1 Like

I’m wondering if its a slightly different version of the peanuts that’s making us have to install the handler first. If it is, its still not at the correct firmware version to allow energy use monitoring.

There’s definitely something different going on. I searched all over the web for a solution to my issue and found NOTHING relevant. Everything prior to your post today indicated that they paired out of the box with no issues as a generic Thing, but I’ve now come across 4-5 people having this issue with orders shipped from the recent Amazon deal.

It sounds like your trick might be the new normal procedure.

1 Like

Same issue. I just had to use the custom device handler. I had setup peanut plugs before with no issue. You just had to change them to a zigbee switch in ide. Something changed. Now they appeared to pair (stop flashing)but never showed up in smart things classic app. I don’t know what changed but I have setup multiple plugs in the past without using a device handler. Good news is they worked fine with the device handler.