[OBSOLETE] OVO Energy (Connect) V2.2.5 (Smart Meter OVO customers)

Hi Tom , would there be any chance of receiving a smart gateway? Which details would you need? I am a customer of ovo

Is there any way to start again and re-install this Smart App such that the child devices get recreated? When I re-install the child devices don’t get created and so the app is no use. Any suggestions would be really helpful - @Alyc100’s app would be extremely useful if I could get past this issue.

Thanks to anyone who’s out there with ideas

Simon

Hi tom

Just a quick question if you can help. you sent me a gateway a few months ago - its been great, but in the past few weeks - theres a new problem. every few minutes, the device goes to ‘network pending’ and the device shows ‘n/a’ usage. then it restores. this is happened all day long. I haven’t changed anything with the setup, both the smart meter and the gateway seem on, gateway has 3 green lights.

any idea what this could be?

can anything be done with the gateway if you have left ovoenergy? I would like to receive current usage into smartthings as I do not have a standalone receiver and have now moved to an alternate energy supplier.

Unfortunately not to my knowledge. I’m sure there might be a way to get the values transmitted from the gateway but haven’t looked into it. This particular integration uses a cloud to cloud integration with OVO and if you don’t have an active account with them then this won’t work.

Hey guys, is it still possible to get a gateway?

Update Available: OVO Energy Meter Device Handler v2.4.3 - Enable chart display when API returns corrupt historic data.

Hello Tom @Teld_47,

Please can you send me an OVO Smart Gateway.
My account number is 6193818.

Thank you.

Regards,
Sean

Hi Tom,

Please send me a gateway - I’ve just had my smart meter fitted.
My Ovo customer number is 6515121.

Thank you very much!
Duncan Gallimore

Hi Tom @Teld_47,
I haven’t heard anything about my gateway. Are gateways no longer available? These seem to be great ‘golden handcuffs’ to keep customers with Ovo - if I could get this working I’d certainly be motivated to stay with you.
Thanks again, Duncan

I don’t think @Teld_47 is active on these forums anymore. Maybe contacting OVO directly might be a better option.

Has anyone had any luck getting into the admin of the smart gateway? I’ve had to move away from Ovo as their prices have gone up significantly against some of the other “new” energy companies. Only Ovo can add new devices to your existing smart meter, so the only way to access the smart data is through the smart gateway

OVO have just announced that the smart gateway will cease to function from the 25th May. Maybe GDPR related considering the date. OVO do say that half-hourly usage will still be available which may still be useful for high electricity/gas usage alerts and obviously daily cost notifications will still function.

I will work to modify the smart app accordingly around this but obviously live energy usage will cease to work after 25th May.

Hello Alex
I have been benefiting and enjoying the OVO Smart gateway functionality and integration with SmartThings for 18 months up until this announcement. I was bitterly disappointed at this decision since my installation (after some initial teething problems) has worked very well and I have been able to do lots of interesting things scraping this data using IFTT. This is in appreciation of the work that you did in writing the code. Thanks.

I spoke at length with the Smart Meter support team at OVO to express my dissatisfaction with this decision. It is not related to GDPR regulation change on 25th May - they say this is just an unhappy coincidence. The issue was the irregularity and faults that people were experiencing (but not me) with the accuracy or inconsistency of the readings of real time data and tariffs through their smart gateway. It sounded to me that although they promise a better solution in their recent communication this is not going to be any time soon and the representative was slightly vague about what their future plans might include. However, I expressed my displeasure and was assured that this feedback would be conveyed up their food chain.
They have also supplied me with a vastly improved In Home Display (IHD) (Chameleon IHD Model CA30201 - rolled out last year) which I received this morning. The app and website have already stopped displaying live usage information and the device handlers in SmartThings are not pulling data, so it looks like they have already killed this functionality ahead of 25th May.
Best wishes

Hi there - see my post below as well. I asked about Tom Eldred @Teld_47 when I called the OVO Smart Metering and Technical Team on Tuesday of this week. Apparently he still works at OVO, but was engaged on another call at the time, as I would have loved to hear his take on the OVO decision to stop supporting Smart Gateway and OVO live usage.

UPDATE: OVO Energy (Connect) v2.5 & OVO Energy Meter Device Handler v2.5

• Removal of Live API Feed
  • Remove Live Energy tiles
  • Tiles now displays historical energy use from last week
  • Update main power display to show yesterday total power usage now that live usage is unavailable.

Definitely less useful than before but I’ve been trialling this for the last couple of days and found it slightly useful. You still get push notifications at midnight on previous day’s energy usage and comparison. I also have a webCore rule to check if my house is in away mode that daily electricity and gas totals are below certain levels and trigger to turn thermostat and smart plugs off if they’re not.

As always let me know your feedback.

I installed 2.5 yesterday, Twice now the smart meter things have disapeared from my things list and when i go back into the smartapp it shows null under “choose your meters”, when i tap that it shows me them with a tick and when i save they are back in my things list. But they have never shown any data, only “–”.

Now got yesterdays data coming in but still losing meters from things list at least once daily and having to go and re add them in the smart app?

Alex, is there any way to amend the daily usage notifications so that we can insert the ÂŁ per kwh unit price to give us a ÂŁ amount on the usage each day please?

It should do this already. Ensure you have ‘Send daily cost information’ enabled in the OVO Energy smart app settings.