[OBSOLETE] Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)

No, not from what you’ve detailed.

Let’s separate your issues first, however, because they are completely unrelated.

Aqara Door/Window Sensors not communicating with hub
When this happens, it’s because of one of two reasons, either

1. their ZigBee network connection was interrupted, or
  2. you are using ZigBee repeater devices that Xiaomi/Aqara devices are incompatible with.

In both cases, Aqara / Xiaomi devices won’t rejoin the ZigBee network when requested by the hub because they are not 100% compliant with ZigBee protocol.

There are a whole host of things that can lead to reason 1, search for ZigBee interference / signal strength, so I’ll focus on #2. Any mains-powered ZigBee device, with the exception of some ZigBee smart bulbs (e.g., Sengled), is very likely a repeater. A ZigBee repeater helps to increase the range of a ZigBee mesh network by acting like a WiFi extender: ZigBee end devices can connect to a repeater that is closer with better signal strength instead of directly to the hub.

The origin of the problem in this case is that most ZigBee repeater devices have a check-in timeout period of time that is shorter than the 50-60 minute regular check-in time of Xiaomi / Aqara devices, and when those devices finally do try to check in and the repeater asks them to follow the normal ZigBee protocol of leaving and rejoining the network, Xiaomi / Aqara devices never rejoin.

There is no way to reprogram the Xiaomi / Aqara devices, and there is no way to easily affect whether end devices choose to connect to a particular repeater device except to remove that repeater device from the network completely.

A handful of repeater devices have been confirmed to work with Xiaomi / Aqara devices: XBee Zigbee modules (see here for more info), IKEA Tradfri Outlet / Bulbs, and user iharyadi’s custom ZigBee multi-sensor repeater solution . Also in theory Xiaomi / Aqara’s own mains-powered devices like the Xiaomi Smart Plug or the Aqara Wired Smart Wall Switches should work as compatible repeaters, but I don’t own any myself and haven’t read enough reports by users to know for sure.

Do you use any mains-powered ZigBee devices? If yes, I would highly suspect them as the reason that your Aqara Door/Window sensors dropped off the network.

Incorrect battery percentage reported

Most of the Xiaomi / Aqara device handlers include some code designed to retrieve battery voltage data that is sent when the device’s reset button is short-pressed. This was added as a way to help populate the battery percentage tile when pairing the device rather than waiting for the first time the device checks in (normally 50-60 after pairing, depending on the model.)

Changes in recent SmartThings firmware updates led to some messages that don’t contain any battery voltage data being formatted differently, and as a result this code pulls out an incorrect voltage value that gets reported as an out-of-bounds percentage.

This is absolutely nothing to be alarmed about, and as soon as the Aqara / Xiaomi device performs its regular 50-60 minute check-in that includes correct battery voltage data, the percentage value will appear as normal.

I am working on a method to filter out the messages that don’t contain battery voltage data, but as I work on the device handlers in my free time, and my free time is limited, and I am not paid to do any of this work, updates to all the device handlers with a fix won’t happen immediately.

I hope this information is useful, and I’m sorry for any inconvenience. Just please keep in mind that any dropped connections of Aqara / Xiaomi devices are completely unrelated to the device handlers.

2 Likes