[OBSOLETE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

:+1: Nice. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Does this mean we will need an always on PC running this server app for the automation to function?

1 Like

Blockquote

Yes, you’ll need an always on PC running windows or Linux or a raspberry pi or potentially any other platform he decides to support.

Can myQ be controlled by a relay (like zooz ZEN16 or ZEN17 devices) same as other garage doors or do they prevent this in some way?

You can however because of the MyQ security you will need a button such as the Garadget to make it work. Basically you hook up this button to your opener and then hook up the Zen to the extra set of wires. I did this last year and have the components up on top of my opener.

1 Like

Chamberlain/Liftmaster (owner of myQ) have done everything in their power to prevent easy third-party automation of their garage openers. Given their near monopoly in the residential market, they are attempting to use that leverage to prevent other home automation platforms from gaining or holding market penetration. To anyone listening: Don’t buy Chamberain/Liftmaster when shopping for your next garage opener. A few small competitors remain available and are worth looking at first.

2 Likes

Things are progressing quite nicely. I now have my real doors being discovered in SmartThings and can successfully send commands to them. I’ve got a couple more things to clean up and will then transition to getting this in a place to distribute so others can test.

10 Likes

You’re a Stud!

Thanx for all your efforts
 you have a lot of folks that are very dependent on all your labors, and it is appreciated.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thank you @brbeaird. Your efforts from Day 1 developing this MyQ Groovy integration are very much appreciated. I’m not great coder but a good tester. Let me know how I can help in any way.

2 Likes

Wow I think you’ll soon get my $10 double coffee “coupon”!!! You’re the best!

In the mean time, I actually transitioned to IFTTT and virtual switches to be able to close the garage, it’s not ideal, you lose the ability to open it in anywhere except physical remotes and buttons, but at least closing automation is kept for this time.

1 Like

I should mention this new method of running the integration from a machine on your network simply polls MyQ for door status, so this will remove the need for a separate door sensor.

6 Likes

Wow. Wasn’t this what you did before MyQ Lite and it caused issues?

Yep, but that was only because ALL the traffic was hitting MyQ from the SmartThings cloud where all the app installations lived. Now that the connections will be from each person’s individual home, there is much less concern about it being blocked like that. Home Assistant has been doing it this way for a really long time.

4 Likes

Would it still possible to still use door sensor?

If we are already using IFTTT and a virtual switch to monitor door status or have a open/close sensor, will the new version need the server app to run on our LAN?

This is one of my most use smart apps currently and can’t wait to get this updated! Thanks for your hard work on this.

Do you have a means of accepting donations?

Yes, there will be a small server app to run on your LAN - either via executable, docker container, or anything that will run NodeJS code. Without the need of a sensor, it should simplify the setup process.

I’ll have donation links once I have the stuff out there for anyone that feels so inclined.

7 Likes

Hey brbeaird! So happy that you’re continuing with this in the new edge platform. I have not been following the development of the platform at all and nearly died the other night when I got an email from ST about the timeline. So been in a panic to see if this and a few other custom integrations will have drivers for edge which I know nothing about so far. lol You’ve kept this up to date for years now and ever responded to me personally a few times and really appreciate the time and effort you’ve put into this. Will certainly send you a donation when then link goes up as a token of that appreciation.

1 Like

i’m looking forward to trying it out too. I’m just now getting MyQ interfaced on our 2014 era liftmaster opener (had myq from factory). I use a tilt sensor now just to monitor but will look forward to remote control.

Please let us know when you post the new process. Thanks for all your hard work.

Still chugging along. I keep learning new things I can do with Edge stuff, so I’ve been mostly working on ways to make things as stable as possible. A big thing I want to handle well is IP address changes, both on the hub and the local server, which means they’ll both be sending regular pings to each other so they can hopefully automatically recover in most cases if needed. I also realized I could have the server send door status updates to the hub as soon as they are detected rather than needing the hub to ping the server every few seconds, so that will be cleaner as well.

Getting closer.

10 Likes