[OBSOLETE] MQTT Bridge [device + app]

My issues resolved themselves today after I updated hass to 0.18 and flipped some switches as a test. Not sure if its related to the hub update today, but it might be a reasonable explanation.

Has anyone experienced issues with simulated contact sensors not updating in ST? Iā€™m posting it into mosquitto and can see it received, then the bridge passes it on and I can see it in the Live Log but nothing happens.

Hoping it is just a bugā€¦ this is stopping my garage door project from taking offā€¦

Sensor status: Garage Door Sensor - Large (closed)

Mosquitto publish/MQTT command:
$ mosquitto_pub -d -t "smartthings/Garage Door Sensor - Large/contact" -m "open" Received CONNACK Sending PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m1, 'smartthings/Garage Door Sensor - Large/contact', ... (4 bytes))

Received by Mosquitto/MQTT:
Received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, 'smartthings/Garage Door Sensor - Large/contact', ... (4 bytes)) open

Received by bridge:
smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 info: Incoming message from MQTT: smartthings/Garage Door Sensor - Large/contact = open

Received by ST:
Parsing 'index:00, mac:<mac_addr>, headers:UE9TVCAvIEhUVFAvMS4xDQpob3N0OiAxOTIuMTY4LjAuMTMzOjM5NTAwDQphY2NlcHQ6IGFwcGxpY2F0aW9uL2pzb24NCmNvbnRlbnQtdHlwZTogYXBwbGljYXRpb24vanNvbg0KY29udGVudC1sZW5ndGg6IDY5DQpDb25uZWN0aW9uOiBjbG9zZQ==, body:eyJuYW1lIjoiR2FyYWdlIERvb3IgU2Vuc29yIC0gTGFyZ2UiLCJ0eXBlIjoiY29udGFjdCIsInZhbHVlIjoib3BlbiJ9' Received device event from bridge: [name:Garage Door Sensor - Large, value:open, type:contact]

Ideas? The contact sensor on my phone just sits there. If I manually click it then it opens/closes just fineā€¦ Iā€™ve been banging my head for two days trying to figure this outā€¦

Well after some digging around in the SmartThings docs it appears that the contact sensor is read only. It does have one attribute but it isnā€™t something that can be set. Looks like Iā€™ll have to use another way to track the door.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Still experiencing this behavior.

For the life of me I canā€™t figure out why I canā€™t send messages to ST. It seems iā€™m running into similar issues from people above but do not see a solution.

Here is my environment:

Mac Mini running OS X El Capitan
Mosquitto 1.4.8 installed using brew
Node v4.2.1

MQTT broker and Smartthings-MQTT-Bridge are running on the same server

The bridge starts up and i see events coming in from ST:
info: Starting SmartThings MQTT Bridge - v1.2.0
info: Loading configuration
info: Loading previous state
info: Perfoming configuration migration
info: Saving current state
info: Connecting to MQTT at mqtt://localhost:1883
info: Configuring autosave
info: Configuring API
info: Listening at http://localhost:8080
info: Incoming message from MQTT: smartthings/2nd Floor Average Temp/temperature = 20.7
info: Incoming message from MQTT: smartthings/Indoor (1st Floor)/temperature = 23.3
info: Incoming message from MQTT: smartthings/Jasmineā€™s Room Motion/temperature = 20.18

Then I send a message to Mosquitto using the following command and get the following response:
mosquitto_pub -d -t ā€œsmartthings/Guest Bedroom Heater/switchā€ -m ā€œoffā€

Client mosqpub/7454-Donatello. sending CONNECT
Client mosqpub/7454-Donatello. received CONNACK
Client mosqpub/7454-Donatello. sending PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m1, ā€˜smartthings/Guest Bedroom Heater/switchā€™, ā€¦ (3 bytes))
Client mosqpub/7454-Donatello. sending DISCONNECT

And I see the following message in the bridge:
info: Incoming message from MQTT: smartthings/Guest Bedroom Heater/switch = off

But nothing happens on the ST side. I installed mosquitto using brew and canā€™t seem to find where the logs are being outputted everything seams to work expect for the fact that I canā€™t update ST from MQTT

Iā€™ve checked the ST Device and NetworkID and MAC seem to be correct etc. Any help would be appreciated.

I keep having the issue that no matter what I put into the config.yml the bridge wonā€™t connect to the mosquitto broker running on the same local host (raspberry pi)ā€¦

Iā€™ve tried all of the following combinations:
host: 192.168.1.124 ā† local IP address of this RaspberryPi
host: 192.168.1.124:1883
host: localhost
host: localhost:1883
host: 127.0.0.1
host: 127.0.0.1:1883

But every time the pm2 logs show an endless loop of ā€œConnecting to MQTT at mqtt://mqttā€

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# pm2 logs smartthings-mqtt-bridge

[PM2] Tailing last 20 lines for [smartthings-mqtt-bridge] process

smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 (out): info: Saving current state
smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 (out): info: Connecting to MQTT at mqtt://mqtt
smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 (out): info: Starting SmartThings MQTT Bridge - v1.3.3
smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 (out): info: Loading configuration
smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 (out): info: Loading previous state
smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 (out): info: Perfoming configuration migration
smartthings-mqtt-bridge-0 (out): info: Starting SmartThings MQTT Bridge - v1.3.3

try this

ā€“

mqtt:
    # Specify your MQTT Broker's hostname or IP address here
    host: mqtt://192.168.0.90:1883
    # Preface for the topics $PREFACE/$DEVICE_NAME/$PROPERTY
    preface: smartthings

I had a similar issueā€¦ I had to do what Atomicpapa did and use the IP address. Worked fine after that.

There are also a known issue with the older version of Node.js that Ubuntu (and possibly Raspbian) come with in the repos. Youā€™ll need to perform an update for the bridge to properly connect. I donā€™t think that is related to your direct issue though.

It appears that you have the ST -> Bridge -> MQTT link setup correctly and vice versa going the other way. I noticed that in your initial ā€˜incoming messagesā€™ section, where it lists the status of each item added to the bridge, that ā€˜Guest Bedroom Heaterā€™ is not listed. Did you make sure that it is added to the bridge as a ā€˜switchā€™? Even though youā€™re publishing the message to MQTT, the ST bridge may not know to look for those messages if not added.

oh yeah itā€™s there, what i posted was just a sample as i have over 80 devices sending messages to MQTT via the Bridge. I still havenā€™t been able to make changes to ST via MQTT Publish. But I can subscribe and see all the events update for sensors and switches etc. Not sure where to go from here

I guess I was a bit too fast about what this smartapp and setup does. I was hoping I could get MQTT sensor values into SmartThings and that does not seem to be the case, or am I missing something?

Anyone have suggestions on how to add life 360 support to this bridge? Iā€™d like to pass on location and battery info to mqtt.

just add the Life360 info in the Bridge smartapp under Presence Sensorā€¦

[edited for clarity and to add picture]

Looks like life360 connect is not showing lat lon, battery, charging, etc. It just shows, home and away.

1 Like

:grin:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/life360-trigger-vs-smart-things-presence-trigger/38985

Hi again. I now have two way communication on a switch between ST and MQTT. I have MQTT temperature sensors I would like to be visible inside ST, how can I do that? I tried @ncherry v_Temperature device handler as well as the simulated temperature sensor by SmartThings but can not get it to work like I want (MQTT temp values will update the temperature state of the ST device).

I publish a new temp value by doing:
mosquitto_pub -h localhost -p 1883 -t 'smartthings/TestTemp/temperature' -m '17'
And I can see that the MQTT bridge is getting it:
Received device event from bridge: [name:TestTemp, value:17, type:temperature]

But nothing happens and it does not seem like the TestTemp virtual sensor is getting anything. I guess I should see the virtuall temp sensor device handler getting a parse call or? I am a newbie with device handlers so not sure what to expect.

Am I on the right path or are temperature sensors (even virtual or simulated) read only and can not go through the MQTT bridge?

Hi Klas, I havenā€™t really look at it recently but just noticed that the value posted to the virtual devices doesnā€™t show in the ST App. But MQTT does reflect the changes that the ST App shows (Up/Down. Iā€™ll need to look at that. Sorry

Oh, I can control the lights and switches from mqtt, that I do quite often (weird).

Thanks Neil. I guess a switch is something with a controllable state so it makes sense it can work both directions. I have also seen state info coming to MQTT but it seems reflecting changes back to ST is the tricky part. Maybe a temp sensor with thermostat capabilities that are linked could be a way to ā€œfixā€ that but it sounds like a bit of a Franken-sensor to me :wink:

Iā€™ve upgraded to the latest STJ code (thanks STJ & Jeremiah) and finally figured out how to set a presence virtual device via mqtt (yea). I added that code to the MQTT Smart App (SA) code. I found the one thing that drove me nuts, the presence device code lacked the commands code. I added this to the device code and MQTT SA. I saw the same debug message so I suspect that there is a bit of code missing Iā€™ll try this a bit later today and Iā€™ll report back afterwards.

Just so the curious have something to look at:

and the vPresence code (donā€™t bother with the other presence code). I also need to clean up the codeā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve done a bit more work on the device types (temperature and humidity) and MQTT code. I can now get my values from mqtt topics for my arduino DHT (temperature and humidity). I discovered that I canā€™t get the barometerā€™s values (unless I used the temperature DT). Iā€™ve learned a lot about the DTs.

So this would now work:

mosquitto_pub -h localhost -p 1883 -t ā€˜smartthings/TestTemp/temperatureā€™ -m ā€˜17ā€™

with the mqtt and device type changes.

2 Likes