[OBSOLETE] Lock User Management (LUM)

@RBoy hasn’t posted in this topic since October 2021. His website FAQ hasn’t been updated in months. It’s over folks. It’s not happening.

RBoy has no obligation to maintain the app. Such is life.

I installed the lousy Samsung’s pin manager. It kinda works. I recommend everyone dig-out your old physical keys and keep an eye on platform alternatives in the future. Bye-all!

Hi,

This is an update for the upcoming SmartThings migration. SmartThings had previously communicated that they expect to shut down the groovy platform on December 31st. While we have been working with SmartThings to migrate our apps to the new platform, the migration may not be completed before SmartThings shuts down their old platform. When the shutdown happens, it will impact all installed groovy SmartApps including Rental Lock Automater (RLA), Lock User Management (LUM) and Lock Manager API (LMAPI).

We recommend an interim option that would allow you to continue operating your locks remotely through SmartThings. SmartThings has released an app called Smart Lock Guest Access (SLGA) which allows you to manually program user codes from the SmartThings mobile app. To install Smart Lock Guest Access:

1.   Open your SmartThings mobile app

2.   Click on the Life tab at the bottom

3.   Click on +

4.   Scroll down and click on Smart Lock Guest Access (if you don't see this app, please send an email to support@smartthings.com and ask them to enable it for you)

5.   Follow the on-screen prompts to install the SLGA app

6.   To program user codes, click on "LOCKS" drop down on the top and then select "Lock Codes"

7.   You should see all the existing programmed users (including those from RLA, LUM and LMAPI)

8.   Click on "Invite Guest" to add new users to your locks

You may also be able to access SLGA from a web browser in the near future via https://my.smartthings.com and then click on Automations.

Please note that while you can install SLGA alongside RLA/LUM/LMAPI, you will not be able to add/delete users from SLGA as long as RLA/LUM/LMAPI are “enabled”. One way to program users via SLGA would be to “disable” your existing installed SmartApps without deleting them. To do this, click on the Automations tab, scroll down to the SmartApps section and “disable” the RLA/LUM/LMAPI SmartApps by tapping on the blue button to the right of the app (it should turn grey when it’s “disabled”). After you have verified that you are able to add/delete users from SLGA you can “enable” the SmartApps again to continue using them until SmartThings shuts down the platform.
Please keep in mind that if you delete RLA/LUM/LMAPI from your SmartThings mobile app, SmartThings will not allow you to reinstall these apps at this time.

If you have installed our custom device handlers for your locks and other devices SmartThings should automatically transition your custom device handlers to the new SmartThings drivers and you should be able to continue controlling your devices from the SmartThings mobile app. While we are working on custom drivers for the new platform there isn’t a way to migrate the old custom device handler to the new custom drivers at this time. The easiest option would be to let SmartThings to migrate your custom device handler to the new built-in drivers. This will happen automatically and likely without any notice from SmartThings. If you’re having issues with controlling devices from the SmartThings mobile app after Dec 31st, try to “exclude” your affected devices and pair them again with your hub or contact SmartThings support for assistance.

We deeply apologize for the disruption and appreciate your support as we work through these issues with SmartThings. We will reach out to you once the migration has been completed. You can also follow our website for more details and updates on the migration.

Sincerely,
RBOY APPS

Replies to this mailbox are not monitored. Please note that there will be a delay in our responses due to a high volume of emails

3 Likes

Can you change a code with SLGA? I can see a list of names assigned to my codes, but I can only edit the name, not the code. I disabled LUM as suggested. How do you change exiting codes with SLGA? Thanks.

@rcbjr2 you don’t edit (or even see) the codes: you just add, delete, or rename them. Neither RBoy or Samsung’s proposing SLGA’s equivalent to LUM or RLM, just working as an interim solution in the absence of a full migration.

1 Like

I agree, no obligation at all.

But that doesn’t mean I can’t be salty about being a paying customer who has to rely on other community members copy/pasting emails into the forum to get an update about something I rely on every single day. Seriously, why isn’t @Ben_Fletcher 's comment included in RBoy’s FAQ? This one comment has given me 100 times the information all of RBoy’s updates over the last 6 months have given me.

No developer has any obligation to any of us. @joshua_lyon is getting rid of his Tasker plugin app, which I was NOT happy to hear because I rely on it so much. But you know what? I respect the hell out of the guy for taking it head on, communicating with his customers, and not leaving us with radio silence to wonder what’s going on.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I have been quite shocked that something as simple as this hasn’t been said yet. Do you have a rough time frame on availability? Is this something that is months out, or shortly after migration?

1 Like

SLGA gives some useful notifications on my phone, but I think the only way to use them seems to be Tasker and AutoNotification. I can’t find a way to react to the notification in a Routine. And I can’t seem subscribe to it in SharpTools. Anybody find a way to use a notice in a Routine? Thx.

1 Like

Lights go out tonight.

Will the lights go out? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Appreciate you pointing out this announcement, I hadn’t seen that yet. I replied thanking ST for considering end user needs and asking that they monitor migration progress when setting their final shutdown date.

Hopefully this delay will give @RBoy the needed time to finish the migrations of all of his very helpful apps.

2 Likes

Looks like he updated his FAQ page in the last day or so, so this gives me hope that he’s still working on a new replacement for this app.

1 Like

No migration yet on my system that I can see across multiple hubs/locations. Looks like ending Groovy on 12/31/22 was more of a start to a slow roll migration.

Read my post above. ST made an announcement earlier in the week about the migration.

1 Like

I see that, but with no definite timeline attached it’s almost worse to announce this in the eleventh hour. For those of us using these groovy tools in production scenarios it’s critical to know when things are going to change so personnel and logistics can be coordinated. FWIW I do see some devices have already been moved over in the background to new drivers, which is encouraging.

My understanding is that in most cases transitioning a Groovy DTH to an edge Driver is a much simpler process than transitioning a groovy smartapp to a smartapp that runs with the new architecture.

For one thing, custom edge drivers are allowed to run on the customer’s own hub, but cloud hosting is no longer provided for custom smartapps and they are not allowed to run on the hub. So you have to figure out where and how you’re going to host the smartapp and how you’re going to tell other people to do that. That gets complicated. :thinking:

It’s not impossible, but it’s more than just recoding in a different language, the way edge drivers are.

Thanks @JDRoberts. If that’s the case, I assume it’s good sign when the ST API site shows a device executing locally vs online already? That’s not many other than the Samsung-branded hardware on my hubs, but could at least inform what devices to be concerned about going forward.

Groovy SmartApp Shutdown - Announcements - SmartThings Community

Does this mean that LUM might be gone sometime next week??

We need to hear from @RBoy to say what thier schedule is for the updated LUM.

6 Likes

There is no “button” beside the Rboys Smart App to “disable” as there is with other legacy smart apps. The only option is clicking the name opening the app and then selecting delete which I really didn’t want to do being hopeful this can eventually be transitioned.

UPDATE

After I reported the missing button thanks to someone it has now been fixed. However I am using the Smartthings Lock Management for one residence. It significantly pales in comparison to the Rboys app I use for other residencre! . The whole point of having the Smart Lock with Smartthings was so I knew IMMEDIATELY via a notification who unlocked the door!! PLEASE PLEASE make sure that functionality exists somewhere before decommissioning the existing functionality.

1 Like

I wonder if they are hung up on the new monetization/licensing model needed in Edge for their revenue? See Monetizing Edge Drivers - #4 by RBoy

They really should tell us what’s going on!