[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

Thank you. Yes, the power meter is there.

After more reading, I learned that when setting up the plug (z-wave), you have to be closer to the hub. I was a long ways away. That then worked the first time.

hello! This worked perfectly for me using the Iris 3210-L bought at Lowes today. I updated the documentation slightly to reflect some changes in the Smartthings app since the OP. I hope it’s useful.

Thanks so much for getting this going, my simple Christmas tree project is done in minutes. :smiley:

First: The Zigbee Outlet

In order to pair the Zigbee Outlet, first add the youdevicetype device handler at the bottom of this post to your IDE. Once you have the youdevicetype device handler added and published, open the SmartThings app and hit ‘Connect New Device’ within the Marketplace. goto Things and ‘Add Thing’. After SmartThings starts searching for a new device, plug the Iris Smart Plug into the wall, and wait for it to be discovered by the hub. It should pair as ‘Iris Smart Plug’ ‘Outlet’ using the ‘Iris Smart Plug’ device type. If you are having trouble getting it to pair follow the ‘Zigbee Reset Instructions’ below.
Optional Step: If you want to have this plug run locally, go into your IDE and switch the devicetype for the plug to the ‘SmartPower Outlet’ devicetype.

Second: The Z-Wave repeater

Once you have the Zigbee Plug added into SmartThings you can go back to add the Z-wave repeater. In order to do this, first start the pairing mode by selecting ‘Connect New Device’ within the Marketplace in the Things -> Add Things within SmartThings app. Once the hub is searching for a new device, hold down the button on the front of the Iris Smart Plug until the light begins to blink, this should only take a few seconds. Some users have reported than holding down the button doesn’t work and instead they needed to tap the button 8 times rapidly in order to get it into pairing mode. Once the light is blinking SmartThings should discover the repeater as a ‘Z-Wave Device’. This is the proper devicetype for the repeater. It will show On/Off and Dimming functionality within the device in the SmartThings app but you can ignore this, it doesn’t actually do anything and is something extra within the default devicetype.

At this point you should have two different devices added to your home, one Zigbee switch (which also acts as a Zigbee repeater) and one Z-Wave repeater.

ZIGBEE RESET INSTRUCTIONS: If the Zigbee portion will not pair you may need to reset the plug. In order to do this, unplug the Iris Smart Plug, hold down the button and plug it back in while continuing to hold the button. When the light first comes on, release the button and you should now be in pairing mode. Open the ‘Connect New Device’ screen and it should instantly find the Iris Smart Plug.

5 Likes

I am so frustrated! I have been trying to get this to work all night! I added the device handler from this post. It shows up in my device handlers list as publised, but no matter how many times I try to add it, it always just comes up as Thing (please wait) and never as an outlet. What am i doing wrong? Please help!

blebson : Iris Smart Plug Published

Thanks!

Just go into the IDE, into that device that’s just called Thing, and change it. Not sure why it’s not detecting it correctly right off the bat though. Check live logging as you try to add it and see if anything comes up.

My IDE doesn’t show any of my devices. It never has. I see the device
handler listed but not my devices.

Click on hubs. Then choose your hub Now click devices. Are they there? If so, then you’re on a different shard.

I tried using zwave repair after connecting this plug

it gives the following error
"Network repair for Z-Wave Repeater [05]: Failed to update mesh info"

Does it mean the device is not connected properly in zwave mode?

Sounds like you are logging into the wrong IDE. What website are you going to?

I type in ide.smartthings.com which directs me to
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/login/auth

I dont see my hub or devices when I log in there. I am using same account
that I use for my smartthings app that sees all my devices and controls
them.

Try going here: https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/

2 Likes

Well son of a 
 Thanks so much! Why the heck was the smartthings login
not sending me to the correct place! No wonder it wasnt working!! woohoo!!

3 Likes

Got this for 22 bucks at Lowes today! Thanks for the great information on how to get this connected.

1 Like

Anyone else seen problems with the switch not actually working correctly? I discovered the one I bought is stuck on, even though the blue light turns on/off, and the internal relay makes the “click” noise when I change its state via my app. I can’t imagine this is anything but a hardware defect but thought I’d check for other’s experience before the return trip

When you say stuck on, do you mean the device that is plugged into the SmartPlug stays on despite the clicking, or that SmartThings is statusing the plug as being stuck on? If the outlet is always energized even though the relay is triggering then yes, you have a defective plug.

Yeah, that would be “stuck on”. Returning today as its obviously defective.

I picked up 5 at the infamous $9 black friday price, and mine all do the same. Also not sure if that means the ZWave repeater isn’t working. They all paired as both “Outlet” and “ZWave Device” and device status shows “On”

So, I just setup 2 of these today.

1. Copy/Paste the attached code into IDE->My Device Handlers->Create New Device Handler->From Code.

2. Click Create.

3. Publish->For Me.

4. Go to App and Add New Device (If you’ve already added “Thing”, remove it first).

5. While the app is searching, unplug the plug for a few seconds, then plug it back in.

6. You should get a new device of type of Outlet within 5 or so seconds.

What other reporting options does Iris Smart Plug give?

Looks like just power consumption.

Power and Energy, watts and kwh’s. The iris one also lets you change when min/max intervals are for reporting. I keep mine at 15 and 300 respectively. That gives a good balance of accuracy without spamming the cloud too much.