[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

Take a look at this modified DH by @ady624 in this thread. This DH is for SmartThings outlet but it also works with the Iris Smart Plug (3210-L). This one will show the accumulated power.

Thanks Jim, that one works!

I don’t really like the new changes to this device, why do I need to know how long it has been paired to my hub, also it seems to update the power usage every second. Is there a way I can I use the handler but only keep the on off ability. I don’t need any of the other metrics.

I believe with these I switched the device handler to the stock ST ones…because I just need the local processing, and cost effective zigbee power outlets from the Lowe’s discount wonderland (that appears to have closed)

Have you considered doing that?

I didn’t know that would work, I’ll try to change it later and see what happens

I am traveling, but memory serves its called SmartPower Outlet in the IDE. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

Yes, the default “SmartPower Outlet” device handler works with the Iris plug. On the plus side the built in Device handler Watt meter work for real time output.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Does anyone know if you use this device handler if it will repeat zigbee AND zwave??? Or just Zwave?

It should do both, but it’s hard to confirm either.

Well, I can see an improvement on my Nyce Hinge Door Sensors response time which is a zigbee sensor that was very far from my hub including a steel door in between. Should this just show as one device? Or two?

There should be one Zigbee device (Switch and invisible repeater) and one Z-Wave device (Repeater only)

Just did 3 more of these, I think they are my single most favorite device. Take less than a minute each.

I’m still doing the z-wave portion though I have no idea if it’s really doing anything. Assuming it is, I have a very robust mesh at this point!

Interesting. Originally it came up as a zwave device which I force deleted when I was troubleshooting. I finally got the zigbee, outlet working but now I don’t see the zwave device even after trying a device exclusion. Any ideas?

Tap the button very quickly 8 times.

I just got this smart plug a couple of days ago, and this thread was invaluable in getting it set up. Initially the Zigbee radio paired without a problem, but I couldn’t get the Z-Wave repeater to pair. I followed the directions in the initial post:

…then I read more. It appeared that many people had slightly different problems, with slightly different answers, so I went on an experimentation journey based on what others had already tried and succeeded about 30 minutes later. Thank you to everyone for posting your experiences and suggestions! I’m glad to be part of this community!

Here’s what I ended up doing to get everything set up:

1. Created, saved and published the Device Handler from the link in the first post
  2. Start “Add Thing” from the IOS ST app
  3. Set up Zigbee smart plug
  4. Tried, but failed to get plug into Z-Wave pairing mode.
  5. Removed ZigBee device from ST
  6. Did a Z-Wave exclusion via the IDE
  7. Rebooted ST hub via the IDE
  8. Start “Add Thing” from the IOS ST app
  9. Reset the Iris Smart Plug (Hold button while plugging it in)
  10. Add and configure the Iris Smart Plug thing
  11. Start “Add Thing” from the IOS ST app
  12. Rapidly press smart plug button 8 times (voila! Z-Wave pairing mode = 3-4 rapid blinks every ~10 seconds)
  13. Add and configure Z-Wave Device

This is currently my only ZigBee device. At the time I had a single Z-Wave dimmer switch, a couple of Sonos devices, and node proxy (courtesy of @redloro) controlling a Russound stereo. Not a complex system overall, which may have contributed to the success.

3 Likes

Thanks for this note, the driver, and all the discussion and work here! I finally decided to install a couple of these, and, … well, holding the button too long makes the ZigBee join fail. Geesh. :confounded:

Unfortunately, though I got it to join my Z-Wave network, it doesn’t seem to be participating in the mesh.

Perhaps it’s because I’m on a V1 hub (non-Z-Wave Plus)? I don’t particularly need a Z-Wave repeater at this location, but I have two more of these Iris Outlets that might go in locations where they could contribute to Z-Wave…

Network repair for Z-Wave Repeater Iris: Desk Office [4F]: Failed to update mesh info

I would be really interested to know this…

So, you’re theorizing that a z-wave plus device would not participate in a z-wave mesh if the Hub isn’t z-wave plus as well?

Maybe @JDRoberts knows?

All zwave generations are backwards compatible. You can add a zwave plus Device to a zwave classic (fourth generation) controller and it will work fine, you just won’t get to take advantage of some of the newest features, in particular pair in place.

No matter what I do I get this when doing a z-wave repair:

I have it as a z-wave device:

Not a huge deal as I have G.E. switches all throughout my house. It appears these guys are really difficult to get right.

2 Likes

I have had success getting it to clear this error in one of two ways. First, the easy one. Just unplugging the outlet for 30 seconds. If that doesn’t do it, then resetting the outlet and running replace in ST.

1 Like