[OBSOLETE]Intermatic PE653 Pool Control System

Please!

Can someone post high level logs.

I am trying to interpret how @KeithR got the temperature slider to adjust the temperature through the quicksetpool and quicksetspa functions.

1 Like

Justin, iā€™m Catching up on your recent journey. Sounds fascinating. Looks like you got the multiInstance classes sorted out. That was one of the fundamentally broken things in the DTD when I first started working on it. Seems the PE653 uses the older versions of the multi channel ZWave commands. That was what was behind much of the earlier version incompatibilities. Anyway, you seem to be past that.

Anyway, I grabbed logs of setting both the pool and spa setpoints. Hope this helps. Seems you have an awesome support resource.

wrote:

ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:51 PM: debug <<<<< dly:1000/1000
<<<<< Event: [value:70, unit:F, displayed:true, name:spaSetpoint, isStateChange:true, linkText:Pool Controller, descriptionText:Pool Controller spa setpoint is 70Ā°F]
ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:51 PM: debug >>>>> ThermostatSetpointReport(precision: 0, reserved01: 0, scale: 1, scaledValue: 70, setpointType: 7, size: 1, value: [70]) - description:zw device: 16, command: 4303, payload: 07 09 46
ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:48 PM: debug <<<<< dly:3000/1000
<<<<< Dev cmd: ThermostatSetpointSet(precision: 0, reserved01: 0, scale: 0, scaledValue: 70, setpointType: 7, size: 1, value: [70]) --> 4301070146, delay 3000
<<<<< Dev cmd: ThermostatSetpointGet(reserved01: 0, setpointType: 7) --> 430207
ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:48 PM: debug setSpaSetpointInternal degrees=70.0
ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:32 PM: debug <<<<< dly:1000/1000
<<<<< Event: [value:80, unit:F, displayed:true, name:poolSetpoint, isStateChange:true, linkText:Pool Controller, descriptionText:Pool Controller pool setpoint is 80Ā°F]
ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:32 PM: debug >>>>> ThermostatSetpointReport(precision: 0, reserved01: 0, scale: 1, scaledValue: 80, setpointType: 1, size: 1, value: [80]) - description:zw device: 16, command: 4303, payload: 01 09 50
ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:29 PM: debug <<<<< dly:3000/1000
<<<<< Dev cmd: ThermostatSetpointSet(precision: 0, reserved01: 0, scale: 0, scaledValue: 80, setpointType: 1, size: 1, value: [80]) --> 4301010150, delay 3000
<<<<< Dev cmd: ThermostatSetpointGet(reserved01: 0, setpointType: 1) --> 430201
ad4b4f6e-6099-4588-9a03-fd43b7c41c8a 9:51:29 PM: debug setPoolSetpointInternal degrees=80.0

1 Like

Everyone has been extremely helpful over the past few weeks and I think we are at the end of the line to getting your device fully ported over. A few points:

1. I really do not have to use the multi-switch app in hubitat as hubitat allows for the creation of these custom commands in RM (plus your Mode buttons help tremendously);

2. The last issue I ran across concerned temperature. I finally provided relevant logs to the hubitat group and they think their next FW update will fix the issue giving me control over the temperature control of the pool/spa.

As FW updates in hubitat happen weekly (ish), I would expect something in the next few days.

1 Like

@KeithR Thanks for your earlier contribution and helping out now.
@JDogg016 Thanks for both the ST and Hubitat work.

Iā€™m close to moving this from ST to Hubitat - two things holding me back: time & concern about pairing the PE953 remote. (I donā€™t want to lose the remoteā€™s ability to set independent timers.) Iā€™ve been reviewing all the forum comments from 2014 to remember how it works.

My remote shows up as a secondary controller. Do you know if itā€™s secondary to the PE653 or to ST? Does it matter? If I unpair the PE653 from ST, is it possible Iā€™ll lose the remoteā€™s control of the PE653 (the PE953 shows as a device in ST, but Iā€™ve never used it as an ST device)?

I finally got this up and running this weekend with my single speed pump! Many thanks, for all the hard work. Now Iā€™m looking to upgrade to a VSP. Any recommendations? Leslieā€™s is offering free install and a 5 year warranty on the Jacuzzi J-VSP150, so Iā€™m leaning that way, if it will work.

Good to know. Congrats! Since you posted here, I assume you have it on Smartthings (not Hubitat), right?

Do you have the PE953 remote also paired? Direct to the hub or through the PE653?

Yes, Iā€™m on ST! Have not tried the remote yet.

I recommend the Pentair Inteliflow VSP. as it has the best integration with the PE653 (IMHO). The prices at my local pool store were all comparable. Although I generally do my own installation (wired up my PE653 myself) I went with the full service approach because it is the only way to get the full 3-year warantee. They charged me $150 for the install but that included the 240V GFCi, which is required by code in a retrofit.

My PE653 and pentair intelliflo VSP consume 100W when idle. Does anyone knows if thatā€™s normal?

I sure hope not! Do you have any clue as to whether itā€™s mostly the panel or the pump?

Off the top of my head, I canā€™t think of a good way to measure the power going into the sub-panel. If I can get some tips, Iā€™ll try to measure my PE653 (pretty sure the pump is nil because itā€™s a dumb single speed).

Completely different question: I have moved on from ST over to the hubitat platform and am dangerously close to porting the Intermatic driver over completely.

The only function I cannot get to work properly is temperature control/thermostat.

When I run the command quickSetPool(90) where 90 is an integer, the log returns this:

It seems setPoolSetpointInternal() expects an integer but receives a string.

If I run the command setHeatingSetpoint() I receive the log as follows:

Any ideas?

Is this something to do with delays you set in place? Your prior logs show debug logs regarding delays.

When you say you ā€œrun the commandā€, do you mean you are adjusting the slider on the UI? Or do you mean you are calling the method directly from RM, or something similar?

If from the slider, then it points to a difference in Hubitat. The slider has an action clause that invokes the QuickSetSpa method when you release the slider. In ST, the value of the slider is sent as the method parameter, probably as an integer type. Inside the QuickSetSpa it calls setSpaSetpointInternal which has its parameter ā€œstringly typedā€ as a Double. In ST, Groovy is able to ā€œcastā€ from whatever type came from the slider to a Double. In Hubitat this is not happening. Hubitat tries to find a compatible method either String typed parameter and cannot. Thus you get this error.

If you are calling from RM, see if you can explicitly set the parameter type to integer or Double.

Maybe we should move this discussion to the Hubitat forumā€¦

Agreed on moving the discussion.

Above is the link. There are no sliders in Hubitat.

This is why I suspect I get an error when trying to use quick set spa or quit set pool.

If you look at the latest posts from the thread you can see the launch and how Iā€™m receiving errors when using sit poolside interval in row machine

Any thoughts?

I just reset my working pe653/953 system and paired 653 to ST. I need help with the following:

(1) when going into the device settings in ST. It keeps asking me to ā€œfill in all the fieldsā€. I have nothing left to fill.

(2) what does M1 ā€¦ M5 does?

(3) I followed vera instructions but I cannot get 953 to pair. The part "Choose #2 - RECEIVE NET ONLY. " does not exist in my 953. My firmware is 33P as it says on the top right corner of the remote.

(4) How to create timers to run the pump as my vsp switches donā€™t show up as switches in ST.

I want ST integration as well as what it used to work unintegrated

More to follow. Thanks

Is this still a good procedure to get 953 to pair as secondary?

Actually this procedure works. I have PE953 paired as secondary now

I got (3) sorted out.

Additionally, The ST app doesnā€™t work right. The VSP buttons are not reflecting the status. VSP4 is always on. then I press VSP 1 - 3, it says ā€œturning onā€ ā€¦ then goes grey. When I press the VSP4 button (which is always on, eventhough the pump is not running), it says ā€œturning offā€ and goes back to ā€œonā€.

(5) Now I have a Zwave Remote in ST for PE953ā€¦ Is there a DHT for it?

(5) no, there is no DTH for the 953 remote. I donā€™t think that is even possible. The 953 is a controller and as such it expects to send commands and receive replies. It does not listen for unsolicited commands. Besides, what would expect to tell it to do?

(1) I have heard this reported before but have never been able to reproduce it myself. Are you running IOS or Android?

(4) did you configure the DTH to say you had a VSP? The VSP buttons only display if so.

(2) The M1 - M5 buttons are simple macros. You can configure each one with a name and to select a pool/spa mode, a VSP speed, set temperature, turn any of the 5 switches on/off, all with a single touch.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I actually got the Double sorted out by changing the code toInteger. I still have an error in like 1501 if you want to hop over to the hubitat thread for screenshots.