[OBSOLETE]Intermatic PE653 Pool Control System

Honestly I do not know. I just bought the unit last week. How w Update I check.

Also, as an update I got multichannel working.

All seems to be working well.

When your on the PE953 configuration screen it should be in the top right or left corner of the screen.

I will have to setup my PE953 as a secondary controller. When I do that I will let you know.

So I got my heater physically installed and here are my thoughts on the DTH:

1. Heater initially reported a pool temp of 77 degrees, since then the temp has not changed and I have not seen a log that shows any update to the temperature.

2. When I installed the DTH followed by the Multi-Channel app, I received 5 additional switch points (which is what I received prior to moving). I have seen some reports of users receiving up to 10 switch points.

3. For whatever reason VSP4 is on (I turned it on), but cannot turn it off. In addition when I select any VSP button the logo seems to do what I want and the physical device acts accordingly (ie. VSP turns onto 3 when I press VSP3), but the DTH screen shows ā€˜VSP Turning Onā€™ and will not state on. In addition, if I refresh the screen it then shows VSP3 off.

4. On the same note, switches 1-5 do not function this way, if you turn on any of those switches it takes a while to go from ā€˜Turning Onā€™ to ā€˜Onā€™ but that eventually happens.

5. Temperature slider (for me) does not appear to work at allā€¦ here is the log when I change the temperature, here is the log but it seems the temp will not set.

345ccce0-45ec-4273-bd4e-f6a39194149a 8:04:35 AM: debug <<<<< dly:1000/1000
    <<<<< Event: [value:39, unit:F, displayed:true, name:poolSetpoint, isStateChange:false, linkText:Swimming Pool Control Center, descriptionText:Swimming Pool Control Center pool setpoint is 39Ā°F]
    345ccce0-45ec-4273-bd4e-f6a39194149a 8:04:35 AM: debug >>>>> ThermostatSetpointReport(precision: 0, reserved01: 0, scale: 1, scaledValue: 39, setpointType: 1, size: 1, value: [39]) - description:zw device: 64, command: 4303, payload: 01 09 27
    345ccce0-45ec-4273-bd4e-f6a39194149a 8:04:33 AM: debug <<<<< dly:1000/1000
    <<<<< Dev cmd: ThermostatSetpointSet(precision: 0, reserved01: 0, scale: 1, scaledValue: 96, setpointType: 1, size: 1, value: [96]) --> 4301010960, delay 1000
    <<<<< Dev cmd: ThermostatSetpointGet(reserved01: 0, setpointType: 1) --> 430201
    345ccce0-45ec-4273-bd4e-f6a39194149a 8:04:33 AM: trace setPoolSetpoint(96.0, 1000)
    345ccce0-45ec-4273-bd4e-f6a39194149a 8:04:33 AM: debug quickSetPool 96

What is the difference between the PE653 and PE653RC and will either work? Is this stable enough to warrant the purchase? Are there still problem with the different versions of the firmware?

I pulled out my installation manual, and Intermatic seems to use the terms ā€œPE653ā€ and ā€œPE653RCā€ interchangeably.

Installation is tricky but I havenā€™t touched mine in over a year and it is rock solid. The PE653 software version on mine is 3.4.

Logged into the IDE, I am on FW 3.4.

More informationā€¦ I got the temperature to refresh by installing pollster.

Perhaps auto-polling function within the DTH solves that solution.

I know 3.4 has issues if you have a variable speed pump. I was having issues with getting it to update the temp as well. My pool is closed ATM so I cannot test things until itā€™s open again.

@CAL7 do you have a VSP?

I donā€™t seem to have an issue controlling VSP, I have issues with the device updating and turning the temperature up/down.

Even refreshing the temperature is an issue unless you use the polling app.

What type of VSP are you using?

Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump

The pump seems to work, it just does not reflect so in the DTH on the screen.

From a macro levelā€¦ the DTH simply does not refresh.

No VSP. The temp is slow to refresh but eventually does - not sure what provokes it.

will the PE34065RC also work. It appears to be the newer model.

Just looking at the PE34065RC very briefly, I think the answer is yes it will work. However, I believe that is just the same PE653 bundled with a panel, P4043 & a couple of actuators. The 4043 was upgraded 2+ years ago to the 5043. I donā€™t recall the exact reasons, but Intermatic recommended at the time to wait for the 5043.

Call Intermatic customer support. Iā€™ve always found them to be extremely helpful (although not necessarily knowledgeable about the SmartThings integration).

CAL, it is just a different package with a control panel depending on the panel you can control actuators and stuff as well. Intermatic support is awesome! Rob and Frank do a great job over there! I hope one day they will have full integration with SmartThings.

1 Like

I have only Filter and booster pumps connected at the moment with air temperature sensor. Both pumps are single speed pumps. I do not have heater connected to the system yet. Is there a way to report air temperature in the app? Is 0 deg tile supposed to report air temp?
Any help is appreciated.

I found that installing pollster and polling the device got the temperature reading to appear

Justin, thank you for the reply. Would you point me to the installation?

I have had pollster forever and I think at one time it was native to ST.

I would suggest that you go to GitHub.com and simply run a search for Pollster. From there you can copy the code as a new smart app in your IDE.