[OBSOLETE]Intermatic PE653 Pool Control System

Did you remember to publish the device type after you saved it? Then you can go into the IDE and change the device type manually to the correct one.

Yes, I didā€¦ thanks!

What device type is the controller using now?

It connects as ZWave Multichannel Deviceā€¦ I have to manually go in to the IDE under ā€œMy Devicesā€ -> Edit -> change ā€˜Typeā€™ to ā€œIntermatic PE653 Pool Control System.ā€

Then save the deviceā€¦

I made sure that your device handler was updated directly from you repo (instead of copy/paste); and that it is published ā€œfor me.ā€

The other thing Iā€™m doing is then going in to the marketplace installing the multichannel controller app, and assigning it to the device name from the device listing (thereā€™s only one choice, so itā€™s no big deal and in this case Iā€™ve named the ZWave now PE653 device to ā€œPoolEquipmentā€).

Doing all of this definitely creates all 5 switches, but they are ineffective; i.e. canā€™t turn them on or offā€¦

The interesting thing is that it creates one switch for the device itself and toggling the switch associated to the ZWave device turns on and off channel 1 of the physical PE653 but nothing else.

ok, so talked to Frank Pomeroy at Intermatic today, he had no joy in getting the PE653 to work with the STV2 hub.

we talked for several minutes, and he was having the same symptoms that I am having even with the @bigpunk6 device handler. ST sees the device, but the multichannel controller creates switches that arenā€™t useful, and the only channel available is the on/off on the zwave device itself controlling only channel 1 (see my previous post).

Neither version of the firmware seems to make a difference according to him (v3.3, v3.4, and an unmentioned ā€˜to be releasedā€™ version in testing right now).

He was on the phone with samsung support, but again, no joy.

Frank has my contact information (email. cell, website); and is continuing to investigate the issues, and will keep me apprised of the situation as things develop.

Sooooo this (at least for the time being) ends a two week sojourn with nothing to show except a $450 boat anchor. (On to Amazon to buy two CA3750s I know these work because I have one controlling the fountain).

Iā€™d like to take a poll though, might provide SOME useful information to Intermatic:
OF THOSE WHO IN GENERAL SEEM TO HAVE THE SOLUTION WORKING CAN YOU ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:

1. What firmware version of the PE653 are you running?
  2. What version (and type) of smarthub are you running, e.g. Smartthings Hub V2?
  3. Do you have the 953 remote control, and is it currently paired to the 653 in the operational configuration?

You might want to reach out to frank and let him know your situation, but he has been monitoring this board.
fpomeroy@intermatic.com

Thanks all!

It still looks like you donā€™t have the device type installed correctly. It should look like the below images.

@bigpunk6, do you have any documentation that you used to create this device handler? The one thing I would love to add is control of the P/S button to switch between pool and spa. Or did you get this far through trial and error?

Or have you ever been able to see the traffic between the 953 and 653 to get the values in that way?

For your poll:

1. Firmware version 3.1
  2. Smartthings Hub v2
  3. 953 paired with Smartthings hub, and then paired back to 653 as secondary controller

Hereā€™s what the devices look like after they are changed to the @bigpunk6 device handlers:

From the ā€œMy Homeā€ screen:

And the device itself:

Now here are what the endpoint switches look like youā€™ll notice thereā€™s no on or off next to the switch:

When tapping the icon, this is all that happens:

Iā€™m fairly certain that your device handler ā€œseesā€ the device, itā€™s for some reason the multichannel app can enumerate the endpoint switches, it canā€™t seem to control them.

Hereā€™s a snapshot of the ā€˜logā€™ screen for switch endpoint one; you can see that the log indicates that the connection is ā€œhealthyā€ (I surmise that to mean that the device handler for that endpoint has established a connection to the corresponding socket - to use an IP term - ) and that itā€™s sending the command to the PE653 over that socket, but thereā€™s no response (physically or logically) from the PE653 itself; i.e. on the phsyical controller there is no response from the physical controller other than turning EVERYTHING off if any of the circuits are turned on, and not turning ANYTHING on at all; additionally the state of the endpoint switches never change (and apparently never receive correct state information from the PE653) because the state of the endpoint will not change from 'turning off" to ā€˜offā€™ it will simply time out and return back to ā€˜onā€™.

WHEW that was a mouthfulā€¦

This is all really too bad, because conceptually itā€™s a great idea, IMHO Intermatic was/is myoptic to consider a ZWave implementation that is so specific to their equipment only (itā€™s not like ZWave hasnā€™t been around for a while). Bad on me for getting suckered in to the grand unified theory of controllers and throwing away $400+ on thisā€¦ Iā€™m fairly persistent, and I hope this all works out; but without a doubt their CA3750 controller is an absolute DREAM, I used it with my fountain on both Wink and STV2, and it connected and controlled without so much as a blip. Too bad they DISCONTINUED that in favor of the PE653 (not feeling the love).

Just BTW, I tried connecting the PE653 to both Wink and STV2ā€¦

Donā€™t even get me started on the effects on the Wink hub - it was TOTALLY hosed (technical term), but essentially the same symptoms. Tried using the the Wink API to control the PE653, but the API is SO POORLY documented it was a exercise in complete frustration; itā€™s a REST API, so itā€™s using standard web service calls (GET/PUT, etc) and JSON for the calls, but I could for the life of me figure out how to enumerate the endpoints (ST taxonomy).

I might try to use some of the information in @bigpunk6 device handler and see if I can get somewhere with that information, but Iā€™ll probably spend my time on more productive pursuits.

I like the STV2 environment because the API is very well documented, and the IDE provides for a LOT of tinkering (which I love).

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know thatā€™s kinda why Iā€™m thinking the problem lies at least in great measure with the PE653, FWIW.

3.3. Havenā€™t upgraded yet.
V2, but it doesnā€™t matter.
No 953 remote

Iā€™ve contacted Frank. Perhaps we can work out a deal for my device type.

For your poll:
1.Firmware version 3.4
2.Smartthings Hub v2
3.953 paired with Smartthings hub, and then paired back to 653 as secondary controller

I get ThermostatSetpointReport, SensorMultiLevelReport and ConfigurationReports, but I never get any others.
Like many others, my switches can cause the receiver to turn the pump off, but never on. My controller works fine

Sure wish we could get ahold of that document codytruscott mentionedā€¦

Also, isnā€™t there any way to monitor/log what is happening between the controller and receiver? They are now both on the same network.

Soā€¦ which developer needs a donation to kick this off and try to integrate the rest of the controls into a working ST device?

I donā€™t need a donation, I need data. The document or device handler that @codytruscott has should get me going. Or if @Intermatic_Rob has the document that describes the 653 z-wave implementation.

How to I get the controller pair the ST? I can apor the remote the controller doesnt show up. I am on ST v2 hub

I have reset everything and put both in to inclusion mode and it flashes like it pair but never shows up in ST.

Which thing are you referring to, the 653 (hardware wired to everything) or the 953 (remote for the 653).

I put my steps in an earlier post (#239). You need reset everything, pair ST->653, pair ST->953, and finally pair 953->653. 953 becomes secondary controller.

1 Like

@magicshot
Thatā€™s the big challenge on this thread.
Some of us have the PE653 working but with older versions of the firmware.

See several of my posts. I have a PE653 no controller on an STv2 hub v3.4 of PE653 firmware and no joy.

Been in direct contact with the developer at Intermatic and he admits to the PE653 not working properly in the lab with several 3rd party controllers like Smartthings. It wasnā€™t originally developed for 3rd party integration.

Just BTW bought 2 CA3750s as direct replacement for my mechanical timers on pump and booster; both installed and connected within minutes.

Just my two cents.

Best of luck.

How are you pairing the 953 with ST? I tried using option 3 add device and it doesnā€™t pair.

It is a non-intuitive step. After the 653 has been paired with ST, do the following to pair the 953 with ST:

Start ST looking for a new device, on the 953 choose Controller Copy and then choose Receive Net Only. The 953 should report ā€˜Successfulā€™. Depending on your firmware, the 953 may become unresponsive. Donā€™t panic. Remove the batteries and reinstall in the 953.

You should now be able to pair the 953 to the 653 where it will show that it is a secondary controller. (This is no big deal, you have complete control of the 653, this just affects which device ā€˜ownsā€™ the z-wave network. ST is the primary for the z-wave network)

1 Like