[OBSOLETE] Hello, Home HomeKit (and Siri!) control via homebridge

Hi gang,
I’m pretty clueless when it comes to running servers and dealing with this stuff, but I’m definitely interested in Homebridge. Before I plant my feet on this one, I want to make sure I have the right gear. Does anyone know if the node.js package published for the Synology NAS is capable or running Homebridge?

If not, and this may be a stupid question, will an old mac be able to run the server software needed for homebridge?

thanks for your help.

Martin, is the only smart app installed the “JSON API” or did you also install “Hello Homebridge” ? I’ve tried to get this to work at least seven times. My builds of homebridge run and work on either a virtual machine, or on the pi, but it just will not pair (sometimes) or if it pairs it shows nothing in EVE and nothing works.

I’ve pasted the json output from both the the above smartapps , back to back, in case either are needed. Ive also tried each individually. It is so frustrating to have tried this so many times without success.

Hello there!

Just found this thread and I am very happy with what I am seeing here!!!

Will this solution work with EU Smartthings customers? I am asking because I have seen that there is a problem with OAuth for Europe - smth the dev team is supposedly trying to fix.

Also, will the original Raspberry Pi suffice (hardware wise) for the server part?

Thank you in advance

Kostas

Unsure if it will work for EU customers, OAuth is required. To answer your other question, the Raspberry PI (original) should be fine. I took a look yesterday and running a Raspberry PI 2 the CPU usage is below 2% utilization. That is running the SmartThings, Nest, MyQ and Harmony plugins. I told SIRI to “shut-down” the house (turn off 40+ switches and sensors) and the CPU blipped to 3%.

I am now dreaming of what else I should use the Raspberry PI for…

Rick, I only installed the json api smart app. One issue I had was due to my ignorance of linux directory conventions, so I didn’t know that .homebridge was a hidden directory and I tried putting the config.json in several incorrect places before learning about the hidden directories. The config.json file needs to be in that directory (mine was under home/pi/.homebridge). If you are sure of that, maybe put your config file up here. Also, maybe run through my “runbook” above to see if maybe there’s something missing from your install.

Martin

ktsi, look at earlier post from iotUK about a change for EU. Might work for you.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Can you clarify on the install NDMS part?

Also when you launch homebridge does it say 0 accessories and 0 platforms?

Mine always says that and I think that might be related to my problems. I am going to start from scratch again starting with deleting the smart apps themselves as well as the iCloud Keychain

Rick - I don’t remember exactly, but I think I had an error message trying to install one of the subsequent steps that prompted me to go back and install that. Given the syntax I used on the others, it’s possible I had to use “sudo apt-get” in order to install NDMS. When I launch homebridge, it says 0 accessories and 1 platform. Is there an error message saying it can’t find the config.json? Are you sure the token and passcode are correct (a new one is generated everytime you configure the json api smartapp). I don’t know anything about an iCloud Keychain…i did nothing on that.

M

Thanks, that helps. I was unsure if the icloud Keychain was in the mix, if you didn’t mess with it, it is probably not related.

I do not get any errors with the config.json. The only time I do is if I ‘sudo su’ and I am logged in as root, then it looks in the root user account folder for the ./homebridge directory. I will exit out back to the pi (non root) user and it loads homebridge without any config.json errors.

With that, it is strange that I am showing 0 accessories, and 0 platforms. I will delete the JSON API smartapp, reinstall it on the smartthings portal, and nuke the sd card and try again on the pi. Its a slow install…

One more question - I don’t see that you installed the homebridge-legacy-plugins. From reading the nfarina/homebridge README, I thought that was necessary for smartthings, since it moved to the legacy part. Is there any difference between the nfarina and the jnewland homebridge apps for the pi?

Thanks

Thanx dude! Now i need to find some time and try that! I am thinking of running a Linux VM inside my iMac which is always either ON or on STANDBY. Because i do not remember where the Raspberry Pi is. :slight_smile:

ktsi, FWIW, I was under the impression that you could run all this natively on a mac…though maybe you need a developers license.

Rick, actually, I did install the legacy plug-ins and I do see them load when i start homebridge. However, I looked at one of them and thought that they were all just related to accessories that you might try to access directly (i.e., not via smartthings) and it wasn’t really needed if you were leveraging smartthings/eve. Maybe that’s something else you could try, but I’m skeptical.

Well, I did just get a little further. I completely deleted the JSON API from the portal, and re-added it, O-Auth, etc. Ran the Smartapp on the ST app, added (6) check marks for switches. Generated config.json, pasted the config.json in the .homebridge directory. Rebooted the pi, and ran homebridge. This time, it loaded 1 platform [SmartThings], and the Feteched and initialized all six devices I checked! Very close! But…

Eve will not pair.

Now that I’m this close, I’ll re-do the pi from scratch, and follow above, to see if I can pair it.

Again, thanks for the help!

[edit] - I was on node v4.0, redid current to 0.12 redoing homebridge install now, taking a while…

Finally! Success! The pairing problem - On the phone, under Settings, Privacy, Homekit, I did “Reset Homekit Configuration” BAM! It paired, and all of my devices showed up in EVE as devices. It is finally working. Thanks to all for the help. Next step is to make the pi Auto boot to run homekit.

1 Like

Cool, Rick! Always something stupid right? Like mine was Siri being disabled in the settings!

Guys… I have the UK hub and am using this code https://github.com/jnewland/SmartThings/blob/master/JSON.groovy for my smart app to generate the config string. I replaced the graph.api.smartthings.com with graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com and generated the config string successfully. However, when I run the hombridge on my mac mini, I get the error

Loaded plugin: homebridge-legacy-plugins
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.AD2USB’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Carwings’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.ELKM1’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.FileSensor’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.GenericRS232Device’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HomeMatic’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HomeMaticThermo’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HomeMaticWindow’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HttpGarageDoorOpener’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HttpHygrometer’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HttpThermometer’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Hyperion’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.LiftMaster’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Lockitron’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.SmartThingsHelloHome’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Tesla’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.WeMo’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.X10’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.iControl’
Registering accessory 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.mpdclient’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Domoticz’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HomeAssistant’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.HomeSeer’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.ISY’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.LIFx’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.LogitechHarmony’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.MiLight’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Openhab’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.SmartThings’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Telldus’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.TelldusLive’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.Wink’
Registering platform 'homebridge-legacy-plugins.YamahaAVR’
Registering platform ‘homebridge-legacy-plugins.ZWayServer’

Loaded config.json with 0 accessories and 1 platforms.

Loading 1 platforms…
[SmartThings] Initializing SmartThings platform…
Loading legacy platform SmartThings
[SmartThings] Fetching SmartThings devices…
[SmartThings] There was a problem authenticating with SmartThings.

I’m assuming this has got to do something with the app.id and state.accessToken parameters it generates to use for the configuration. Is there any workaround for this?

Ok… Got it fixed. Will test it out once I get back home.

Will this work on both me and my wife’s phone? Or is this a one user sort of desl?

That happens when the OAuth access code/token in the config.json don’t match the smartapp.

It will work on multiple iphones (and also ipads!). On you iphone go to Settings->Homekit->[your home’s name]->Invite people and send your wife an invitation to her apple ID. She does not have to install any app (e.g. Eve). I have it working on my wife’s phone and an iPad with a separate apple ID.