[OBSOLETE] [Deprecated] New TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb Integration

Thank you very much for your work on this TP-Link/Kasa Plug Integration. I thought I would let you know that I used your code today and did not have any issues, everything is working as it should. Its also worth saying that I am not a developer and this is the first time I have done this, thank you for making it so easy.

1 Like

I’d like to ask a question

can you do if tp link light switch turned on send ifttt trigger ?

1 Like

I think so, using the IFTTT SmartThings integration. I have not done it, so you will have to try that Smart App and see.

1 Like

can you please check or someone else if it works

I am not an employee of SmartThings nor any other commercial enterprise. All my efforts are based on my hobby. Therefore, I will decline.

1 Like

First of all thank you for your time with making this program for tp link and smartthings. This might be the wrong place to post this. My question is this. I have installed this program and it works just fine with the smartthings app and turning things on and off. The issue is with Alexa, she has discovered the devices but cant control them. It says device unresponsive. I do show 2 devices for each switch, because alexa discovers tplink fine and now the smartthings tplink is discovered also. Only the alexa one works from that app. I assume this is normal, but is there a fix.
Thank you in advance for any help and replies.

First, thanks for the comments. Let me see if I can give information that helps.

1. When stated as unresponsive by Alexa, does the device work? I actually suspect it is not.

2. Did you by chance disable “remote control” for the devices in the Kasa App? That could cause an error like this.

3. You state you have two versions of the device in the Alexa App. I suggest disabling the Kasa capability in the Alexa App. With SmartThings connection, the device will be controlled by SmartThings and (even more important), the current status will be known by SmartThings.

Wow fast response. In alexa app it shows 2 listings for the same name (ex. denlight). If I tell alexa to turn on denlight it works, and in the smartthings app it shows only 1 denlight and changes state ON/OFF.
If i disable the remote function in KASA, then alexa app only shows 1 denlight. If I select it and try to turn on/off, or say “alexa turn off denlight” she says unresponsive check connection.

and if i disable kasa skill in alexa app. then nothing works. says denlight(kasa) unresponsive, and denlight (smartthings) unresponsive.

Gutheinz, I follow what you said a little closer. I disabled the kasa skill in alexa. I made sure I had remote control on in Kasa app. Then I discovered devices (after removing them from alexa first). Now I have only 1 listing in the alexa app and it works thru smartthings triggering. Also it works with voice command thru alexa. Seems like everything is working as it should.

Thank you for your fast replies and for the assistance.
paizano1

1 Like

Greetings. I was able to install this app successfully and all appears to be working well. The switches are available in Smartthings and function as expected.

I have noticed that when I change the name of a plug/device in the Kasa app, the name is not updating in Smartthings. I had gone to the TP-Link Smarthings Manager custom app, Device Preferences Page, selected the plugs in the Select Devices to Update option and saved. I was not sure if this was related or not but the new name is still is not updated in Smartthings. Should the device name be updating or is this just a limitation? Thank you.

Limitation. It was a design decision to not update the device name from the Kasa account name after initial installation. You get into a rabbit-hole of updating Kasa with the SmartThings data and SmartThings with the Kasa data. Large opportunity for code errors and adding a significant number of messages.

Hello,

I’ve been using the TP-Link device handlers for about a year and am still running the old version I believe. I’ve been using it successfully with TP-Link HS200 switches.

Today I added two new HS210 3-way switches and am trying to add them via the SmartThings Tp-Link SmartApp. When I get to the last step after selecting the devices, I tap Save and I get “An unexpected error occurred”. I have confirmed that the devices have Remote Mode enabled.

Do I need to update device handlers? If so is there an upgrade process or do I have to delete everything and re-do all my setup? Hoping to avoid the latter.

Thanks.

EDIT: I was able to figure this out. I just installed the new Device Handlers and SmartApp alongside the old one and added the new switches. It worked!

You need to update the device handler and application.

I just setup a new 2018 ST Hub and when I login to the classic app, it doesn’t show me anything. Any tips with this part? Is it possible to see/use the newest ST hub with the classic app? IF not, any tips for integrating the TP link switches I already have with the new ST hub? Thanks!
Dave

A question for a broader range. One item is to make sure that the app is actually connected to your HUB. This is a step that has to be run after installing the app on the phone.

hi mate im trying to add an hs110 but get this error any ideas f14b38e1-2841-4267-b6d9-de1a92230f61 22:32:09: error physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type ‘(Cloud) TP-Link EnergyMonitor Plug’ in namespace ‘davegut’ not found. @line 202 (doCall)

You have a mis-match between the Service Manager Version and the Device Handle version. Add the following dh

(Cloud) TP-Link EnergyMonitor Plug.groovy

from the location

I had this issue too when logging into IDE and classic, couldn’t see anything. It was the locations. Thanks!

It was the locations! Couldn’t see anything when I logged into classic, or part of the IDE site, but the default location for the classic app was empty for some reason. Switched locations and all is good. That also got me on the right track to installing everything via the cloud based option and it worked like a charm! Yo da man! Thank you thank you thank you!

Updated Service Manager and Device Handlers

The Service Manager and Device Handlers have been updated.

Primary Focus. Simplifying the installation procedure and provide better update handling from the original versions to the current.

Instructions. Instructions have also been updated to accommodate easier understanding of the various Service Manager functions.

See the Original Post as well as the new read me file on GitHub.

Upgrade Recommendation. As usual, update is provide for users who need to add the newer devices. Legacy users may not have any advantage in upgading for the sake of upgrading.