[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Garage Door Controller

I replaced the battery. I tried everything suggested above. The status still shows as “unknown”. I can operate the garage door using the app just fine by pressing “open” for both opening and closing. How can i get the status to show up correctly? Where is the issue?

Also what battery are folks using for the sensor?

Two things to try. First, re-pairing the tilt sensor… It comes paired, but, who knows…

Pair Tilt Sensor to your Garage Door Controller.

By default, the Tilt Sensor should already be paired to your Garage Door Controller, if you find that they are not paired together and the tilt sensor position is not changing the status of your Garage Door Controller over your interface, please follow the steps below.

• Press and hold the main GDC button (located on the front of the unit) for 5 seconds then release.
  • Make sure that it entered sensor pairing mode, look at the back of the GDC and refer to the LED, it should be blinking slowly at a rate of once per second.
  • Tap the Tilt Sensor tamper switch once.
  • The LED on the main GDC unit should stop blinking which should indicate that the pair was successful.

next if that doesn’t work would be running a recalibration of the tilt sensor to the control

Calibrating the Garage Door Controller Manually.

You can also calibrate the Garage Door Controller manually using these steps, you do not have to use configuration settings to put the garage door, and may be more preferable and easier to do so manually.

• Ensure that the garage door is closed, and the tilt sensor is in an CLOSED position, while the GDC shows a CLOSED status on your gateway interface.
  • Using the main button located at the very front of the unit (Switch Button), press and hold its button down for 10 seconds, then let go. If successful, the network LED on the back will be blinking rapidly to indicate that it is in calibration mode.
  • Open the garage door using the Switch Button of the GDC, or through Z-Wave commands. Let it open all the way.
  • Now close the garage door using the Switch Button on the GDC, or through Z-Wave commands. Let it close all the way.
  • Calibration is now complete.

these and other instructions can be found here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000053811-garage-door-controller-gen5-user-guide-

Hei Robert.
How do I get rid of the delay before opening/closing?
I don’t find the place in the code, and not which parameters to use.
Snurrebakken

Well, I added the Aeon Labs device, it shown has a “Z-Wave Switch Secure”, then went to api.smartthings.com and changed the type of the device to “Z-Wave Garage Door Opener” and everything works fine. I didn’t need @Robert_Vandervoort code.

Z-wave device are self describe and use common interfaces, I don’t understand why Smartthings could not do the mapping automatically most of the time. They just have to mark them as ‘detected’ but “not officially supported” if they care about that.

Who ever control that old doc should do an update -> https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-51756635596032/zw062-aeotec-garage-door-controller-using-with-smartthings-hub-custom-device-type.pdf

@Mobidic you are correct in that Z-Wave devices are self-describing. The reason custom handlers are written is because the configuration parameters are not. The generic handlers SmartThibgs provides will send the commands like on or off or open or close for the garage door opener for instance.while That works, there are a lot of parameters you would likely wish to change like the alert tone that is played or not, or calibration of the open and closed sensor.

Some devices come from the factory sending a basic report or a notification report when they are turned off or a cover is opened, water is detected, etc. there are times when that might not end up being useful. There is usually a configuration parameter to control what method is used when that happens. If your generic handler expects to see one thing and the device does another, it goes unreported.

This is why we use custom handlers and heck, I have even customized handlers for things well supported by SmartThings natively like the GE / Jasco dimmers and switches. I have one switch in particular that likes to flip itself as to which direction is in or off. There is a configuration parameter that you can set to define that. Or when you want the dimmer to dim quickly or slowly. The Aeon doorbell code I wrote people took off with and started using it to play sounds on actions using a music player capability command set. It does not self report as a music player…

I’ve been meaning to revisit this code at some point just haven’t found the tim…

I have just tried to start using the new app. It looks like I have lots of code revisions to make as everything is just in the checking status state.

The delay is t a feature or parameter. That is just SmartThings. I have fairly mixed results with the garage door controller. Usually it is very responsive. Sometimes I have to tap it twice. There is a sound that gets played prior to open and close. Are you hearing it first then it opens or is there a delay before the sound? How long of a delay?

The sound is played before the garage port opens.

The is no other delay before or after that.

I just want to get rid of that sound and just open the garagedoor.

Svein Arild

Med vennlig hilsen
Svein Arild Johnsgård

Looks like there is a configuration for that. I will update the code for this. I also need to get it working with the latest app but I’ll push this change for you. In case you are interested it is parameter 25 and 26 in the configuration parameters listed in the engineering sheet here.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/6052990294/original/ES%20-%20Garage%20Door%20Controller%20Gen5.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJ2JSYZ7O3I4JO6DA%2F20180806%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20180806T124357Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=29964c600c3f8974adb27dacbb07dbb398b78b4c22f1c8295d1ad90699816b4e&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=Host&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf

Thank you!

Svein Arild

Sendt fra E-post for Windows 10

Så bra! Jeg fikk ikke åpnet koden på linken, men du har den vel sikkert lagret. Gleder meg til å prøve.

Torstein

I get an error trying to open that pdf file:

AccessDenied
Request has expired
2018-08-06T12:48:57Z
2018-08-06T13:35:35Z
53C5FD07DFCF8E9F

gchOwdJ0y2yscZDIoWSJC/BVIlU8C84Wl2zj3ytsHqavCwKVrAH5cBJATX8ncsr31YQFBsuR3ao=

Here is the link to the document. It is on Aeotec’s help site. Just scroll down to garage door and the link opens the doc. https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000088070-gen5

@Svein_Arild_Johnsgar

I’m working on redoing this device handler and adding configuration preferences. It’s a bit of an overhaul. In the meantime, if you want to turn off the sound and delay, edit the device handler and find this section towards the bottom

// Set blink, sound, volume of opening action
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 37, size: 4, configurationValue: [5,1,1,1]),
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber: 37),

// set blink, sound, volume of closing action
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 38, size: 4, configurationValue: [10,2,1,1]),
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber: 38), 

then change it to this (makes the last configuration value in each array 0)

// Set blink, sound, volume of opening action
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 37, size: 4, configurationValue: [5,1,1,0]),
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber: 37),

// set blink, sound, volume of closing action
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 38, size: 4, configurationValue: [10,2,1,0]),
		zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber: 38),

Thank you. That will Fix it.

Is it possible to turn off the alarm with your device handler? Everything else works.

I have also tried your DH, Robert. Status is reported correctly, but none of the buttons (open, close, refresh, configure) in the app is responding. When I press the large button on top it changes status to opening or closing, but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Did you pair it close to your hub then move it away to your garage? If so, try it closer to your hub. Diagnosing can be difficult. Lots of variables. I know the handler works… did you mount the sensor and remove the little plastic battery protector? It goes on the door and let’s the controller know when the door is up or down which changes state and operation of the button.

No, I paired it in the garage, quite some distance from the hub. Will try excluding it and include it again close to the hub. The sensor works fine, the handler reads the correct state of the door.