[OBSOLETE 1.1.6 5/25/16] Big Talker - Talk when events occur

@sam_alian No problem. I tagged you in another one of my posts as well.

Anyhoo, why are you trying to use the IDE to create the device? There is no need for this and it may wind up making the integration more iffy. The R1 is an officially supported speaker. You can add it right from the marketplace through the ST app. There is zero need to use the IDE to install the speaker.

BigTalker, on the other hand, will require the IDE to install the smartapp, but it seems like that piece you got down without an issue.

I’m getting the same error as above and the branch is set to master. I was able to update from 1.1.6 using this method but it seems to be having issues with this one. See images.

You cannot import/update/publish the .png files. I’ve removed them from the repo just now to prevent this issue.
When there is an update for BigTalker, the update will be listed under the “Obsolete (updated in GitHub)” list.

DOH! I wasn’t paying attention to that. That said, I’m on 1.1.6 and I thought you had created 1.1.7 or is that inaccurate?

I just updated it using the code. Hopefully that doesn’t break anything.

Due to the age of this post, I am no longer able to edit the main post with new release info, therefore the 1.1.7 release info and discussion is here: [(OBSOLETE See 1.1.10 or later) 1.1.8 10/11/16] Big Talker - Talk when events occur

Thanks. That did the trick

1 Like

I really appreciate your help BTW. Jumping in and helping like this is really awesome of you.

1 Like

Hi @rayzurbock,

Can you tell me how to setup the update from your github in the IDE?

1 Like

2 Likes

Got it to work. Thanks @greg .

2 Likes

Hi, first off, thanks for writing this app! I am using it so that when my mode gets changed in the morning using Ask Alexa I have Big Talker do a weather report. The problem is, my echo is right next to my speaker, and with Ask Alexa she keeps talking after the command and waits for a follow up command but the weather report is rambling on at the same time. Is there any way in Big Talker I can add a ‘delay’? So, ‘when mode changes to home, wait 10 seconds, then weather report’?

Thanks!

1 Like

Currently BigTalker does not support adding a delay to speaking. I’ll investigate adding to version 1.1.9 if I can work it in.

3 Likes

That would be fantastic and very much appreciated!

I’ve been using Big Talker with Lannouncer for a while w/o issue. Today I connected a pr of Samsung R1’s today. They are showing up in ST but there no option to select them in the BigTalker app. What am I missing?

It sounds like you are running BigTalker in speechSynthesis mode (selected in-app when initially configuring BigTalker). LanNouncer requires speechSynthesis mode. I believe the Samsung R6 is a musicPlayer device in SmartThings and thus BigTalker needs to be in musicPlayer mode for it to show up. You can install another instance of BigTalker from the in-app marketplace ( Marketplace > SmartApps > My Apps > Big Talker ) and choose musicPlayer. This install will be separate from the already installed instance but will allow you to configure musicPlayer devices.

1 Like

You’re exactly right. Thanks

1 Like

This is absolutely an amazing app and device handler configuration! Job well done!

2 Likes

I have installed all of the components as listed at the top of this thread.

The issue I am having is that Big Talker does not see my LANnouncer device.

The LANnouncer Device I created does communicate with my android phone.

I can have it chime, speak, strobe ect. from the Device itself

I also have this working with VLC things and Big Talker, but I want it to work with my android phone.

Anyone know why Big Talker is not seeing my LANnouncer device?

It sounds like you are running BigTalker in musicPlayer mode (selected in-app when initially configuring BigTalker). LanNouncer requires speechSynthesis mode. If you have other speech devices configured in musicPlayer mode, you can install another instance of BigTalker from the in-app marketplace ( Marketplace > SmartApps > My Apps > Big Talker ) and choose speechSynthesis. This install will be separate from the already installed instance but will allow you to configure speechSynthesis devices such as LANNouncer. (You can also remove the app and add it back and select speechSynthesis mode to configure for usage with LANNouncer if you don not want more than one instance)