Notification when GFCI trips

I am trying to figure out a way to send a text or push notification when a GFCI outlet trips. The specific use case is that I have a fridge plugged into a GFCI that occasionally trips, cutting off power to the fridge and causing my frozen goods to defrost. I’m trying to find a way to receive a notification when this happens so that I can take care of it.

I assumed there would be a CoRE piston for this that pings a smart device and when no longer finds it online sends an alert. Absent that, I purchased a Zooz Zen15 power monitor thinking it I could tap into when it is shut off. Alas, I have been unable to find a solution that works.

Any clever ideas?

It’s not webcore, but “simple device viewer“ is a very popular smart app which will monitor the SmartThings logs and if a device has not had any activity for the time period that you select can send you a notification.

You can find it and other approaches to this problem by looking at the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, looking in the smart app section, and reviewing the list for “wellness check.“ :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

You can also look down at the bottom of that page at the project report section and look on the list for “power“ projects. Those have some other options including a plug-in device that can send a message when the outlet it is plugged into loses power.

1 Like

I’d recommend using a current sensor on the circuit powering your fridge. Aeotec has a nice Gen5 model that monitors two circuits but you can make due with a cheaper, earlier model as well. Just add a SmartApp/condition that sends an event if the current drops to near zero for a minimum time period. Since the sensor is powered from a different circuit you’ll always be able to interrogate it.

You’ll have to remove the front panel from your breaker box and kill power for a short while installing the current transformer or practice installing it one-handed as a safety measure.

A better solution might be to change out the GFCI outlet if it trips for no reason. They are not supposed to do that. They do get weaker as they age. That is why you should test them monthly. For less than $20, you can get a new one.

1 Like

I have the same issue, just a different cause. I investigated this and bought an energy meter and also put a temperature sensor inside the freezer. The freezer doesn’t draw power when not cooling so the absence of power through the meter isn’t accurate. For my use case setting the temperature sensor to send a push notification anytime the temperature rises above 30 degrees seems to work. I tried lower temperatures but it seems the defrost cycle interfered with that.

It would be nice if the power meter had battery backup feature and could monitor when the outlet loses power. Apparently the energy meters that exist (at least the last time I checked) can’t send notification when the power fails, because it has no power to send the notification.

Good suggestion and is absolutely something I plan to do. I’m just a little paranoid now …as well as the fact that I am simply set in motion to figure out an option to this puzzle.

1 Like

I read somewhere about a motion sensor device that plugs in but also has battery backup. The approach with that was to monitor for the event of shifting from power to battery, and send a notification based on it. Sounds like a good option but I can’t seem to find the device referenced.

Anyone have idea of devices that are powered and switch to battery when power is lost?

I like it. Next challenge… I’d also like to put a similar notification on my sump pump in case it, for whatever reason, loses power. But the sump pump only draws power when the water is high enough to trigger it. Given that most of the time it is idle, I don’t think triggering based on power flow is an option.

The project power project reports quick browse list I mentioned in post 2 above has at least two topics that discuss exactly that kind of device. One you can buy from Amazon and one you can make yourself.

That’s why it’s always helpful to start with a quick browse list, it’s usually the fastest way to find things that you know you’ve seen in the forums before. :sunglasses:

For that situation it sounds like you’d like to ensure that the sump will run when you want it to? I’d suggest wiring up a Z-wave dry contact switch in parallel with your existing sump switch so you can turn it on whenever and validate the resulting current draw is what you expect.

Or, you could monitor the sump switch itself and when closed, have a Z-wave event sent to your app that will look for a corresponding current draw within a short period.

I have a smartoutlet plugged in to the other half of my GFI. I created a piston to notify me if that smartplug goes offline.

1 Like

I am just getting started with SmartThings after loosing the contents of our freezer while out of town. I have ordered a hub and a smartoutlet. Where can I find out how to import your work.

Thanks

I have the solution: It utilizes a SmartPlug, either Zigbee or WiFi and my App called GFI Notify. The Plug is plugged into any outlet on the same GFI circuit you want to monitor. When it loses power (trips), you will get notifications (a push and several text messages) within 30 seconds. You can be thousands of miles from home. You can take remedial action. Have someone go to try to reset the GFI or at least plug the freezer and refrigerator in live outlets until you get home to check things out. My system is patent pending and will be available soon to everyone.

GFI Notify now working great. No longer need to worry about losing food in a freezer when your GFI trips. All the details at: gfinotify.info

You’re seriously trying to sell this idea for $50? Give me a break.

To anyone else looking for a solution just plug in a smart plug and setup the SmartThings Energy Alerts to notify when you have a 0 power reading.

1 Like

Are you saying that the SmartThings Energy Alerts can monitor a single smartplug that’s plugged into one specific outlet and send a push and SMS text messages to a designated cell phone when power is out to that one specific outlet, not the entire house? And also do the same thing when power is out to the entire house? And do both within 2 minutes or less?

That’s exactly what I’m saying and what I use it for. There are settings for text alert and push notifications built in. You can also setup the polling intervals if you wanted to tighten up the status updates.

I have a Smartplug installed in my garage GFI which is on the same circuit for the outside house receptacles. We just recently had the storm Isaiah roll through and some moisture built up in one of the IN USE boxes which in turn tripped my monitored garage GFI Smartplug.

I got a text and push notification.

As for power to the entire house? Luckily I have a generator and I don’t use it for that purpose but I assume the hub notification it’s offline is sufficient.

1 Like

Is that the new WiFi plug? GP-WOU019BBAWU ?

I had heard that handled notifications differently since it’s a hub optional device, but I hadn’t heard any details. :sunglasses:

Excellent new GFI trip detection and notification system. Check out gfinotify.com.

I’m looking to do exactly this, but on three separate GFI on different circuits. What SmartPlug are you using. Do you know of any other compatable smart plugs?