[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Code says it should work…are you using the latest version?

Smart App 2.2.8
Lambda 1.2.8
Schedules 1.0.0
Voice 1.0.3
Weather 1.0.3

hmmm…I will need to test this…you are behind in the schedules code but that shouldn’t make a difference.

I am giving blood right now so only using one arm but will see what the issue is.

1 Like

ok…found the issue…while random1 works, random2 doesn’t…will find out why and get the fix published Friday.

Thanks for the troubleshooting – especially for a pretty silly macro. I can manually change the reply.

This is such a great program - still so much to learn & incorporate.

Thanks…I just fixed the issue! I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Ironically, found an unrelated issue while troubleshooting so it was a good quest.

1 Like

I just installed the app and extensions per the wiki but when I select settings it says “something went wrong and can’t load your screen right now.” I searched this thread for a possible solution but this thread is huge!

I have never seen that error before…can you post a screenshot and you live logging filtered for Ask Alexa, please?

Also, if you could help me troubleshoot…I am betting you don’t have any macros or extensions created yet… correct? If you go live logging, capture the line number that is giving you the error…this along with screenshot will tell me if this the issue I fixed this morning or one more error trapping opportunity when there are no macros and extensions created.

If anyone is having issues with Ask Alexa Control Macros today, I found that Amazon may have changed the output of some items sent back to SmartThings when using the simulator verses voice commands. Let me know via PM or here if you are having issues with this…I have an easy fix or you can wait until Friday until I post new code…Let me know.

I updated the documentation here to reflect how the function will work: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Text_Field_Variables (See the bottom of the section)

I have found this could be useful for emphasis as well, so future versions may have more of these advanced features as well…Great suggestion!

Edit: I had a few minutes and added the emphasis function too for next Friday’s release!

So… how do i change the “would you like anything else?” to “And then?”?

In what context? There are many responses available based on the the context of what you are doing, whether it is a voice report or extension, if there was an error, etc…some of these can be configured at the macro or extension level through the custom acknowledgment area. If this is the output you want for everything, contact me via PM and we can discuss the one or two lines of code to change to get that.

The error from live logging is:

10:23:18 PM: error Access Token not defined. OAuth may not be enabled. Go to the SmartApp IDE settings to enable OAuth.

I was going to remove and reinstall the app thinking I might have installed incorrectly but remove is under settings. I was going to remove by using IDE but that was unresponsive when trying to access the app. Screenshot from an S8 is below. I tried the app on an android tablet and iphone 7 also. Different error screens but all had the error.

You are correct. No macros or extensions have been created.

FWIW -
error cropped up.

Your issue above is related to your OAuth. You enable it within the IDE, then run the Setup Variables: The instructions are quite extensive, but here is that specific section:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#OAuth_Setup

Let me know if that helps at all…I am probably going to error trap that better right on the main screen as this is one of the more common issues with installation.

I apologize! That was detailed in the manual I just missed it. Probably because I installed directly from GitHub integration. It’s read the manual not skim the manual! That fixed the problem and I’m moving on. Thanks!

1 Like

No need to apologize…it is a long manual…most apps don’t give installation instructions any more! Anyway, glad it is getting you further along.

Hi @MichaelS,

A new one for you — the LIST_OF_SHPARAMs on my Setup Variables page does not appear to be updating regardless of what I do or change. For example, I deleted several “out of the box” ST routines (“Good Morning!” and “Good Night!”) and I renamed several ST routines I created previously (e.g. “Everyone Has Left” -> “Departure Automation”). Neither of those changes are being reflected when I refresh my Setup Variables page.

On the other hand, I made several changes to my Ask Alexa macros, and those LIST_OF_MACROS changes are being reflected when I refresh my Setup Variables page. So, I know the page itself is partially working correctly.

Any thoughts on what could be happening?