[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Anywhere there is a text field you can use the variable. So, in a voice report there is a pre and post message…In some of the extensions you can have custom acknowledgement…they can be used there. Basically, anywhere there is an open text field you can use these variables…

I will update the wiki to make that a bit more clear.

Technically yes…I am probably going to make it easier for the user by putting a variable in that you simply place in the text field and it will encapsulate the text and set the trigger on the back end…I am testing this right now to see how the LONG text switch Amazon uses can be placed in the text field.

awesome, thanks

I assume that worked? If not, or you run into issues…let me know…

What I was trying to figure out is where do those custom variables reside? They aren’t in anything I cut and paste into the AWS…

Under “LIST_OF_DEVICES” in my setup variables there is nothing listed. Is this normal? I remember all my devices being here last time.

This should include the list from your app…are you using the latest version? Make a change in your device list in the main app and see what happens are report back…

@zatman …under Settings>>Text Field Variables…These have nothing to do with Amazon and are part of the app…

1 Like

I forgot to select the devices in the app. That was my bad.

1 Like

@zatman
I looked at the documentation…did you see this section? http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Text_Field_Variables

Basically, the instructions imply that everything under the main heading in the wiki called “Settings” are under this area in the app… Let me know if you already saw this section and it was not clear, or if you just missed it originally. I assume you got this working?

Awesome! We love to make Alexa talk trash and mess with people, so the ability to have her whisper in my statements will really help with the creepy factor! :slight_smile:

Ok…well while technically it can do it the wording is extremely complicated when entering the data in the small text field. Let me do something like a text words here variable type to make this easier for the end user.

Let’s see if I can get this in by next Friday.

Awesome MichaelS, very grateful for all your hard work!

Truth be told I knew I would have to do this when I introduced this feature…so I already had the code in my head on how it would look.

You knew someone out there like me would ask for it :slight_smile:

I saw it as being under the app section, put didn’t quite understand that the phrases were resident in the app and would not be part of our skill adaptation.

FYI, the %random1% text variable worked fine in the voice reports, but did not work for a custom acknowledgment in a macro. The second set of text(s) used were longer than in the voice reports.

I actually got this working…I need to better define the switches within the text, but the code works…Will release next Friday.

Hmmm…I looked in the code and that should work…specifically what type of macro are you using?

AWESOME!!! Looking forward to it!

A generic extension to turn lights off, turn 1 on and have Alexa say 1 of 3 random phrases. The lights work fine but Alexa replies “percent random 2 percent” The phranses are30 to 46 characters long with no punctuation.