SmartThings Community

New to Smartthings and would like to know how to get echo to work with linear garage door opener

All, thanks for the response. So I have the garage door already setup and working with ST. I created the virtual switch last night and Echo now sees the virtual switch. This is where I am confused. How do I program the virtual switch. Ultimately I would like to say, Alexa open garage door. Alexa, close garage door. Would I need Alexa Helper to do this? How do I get Alexa Helper? I see that the routines are mentioned. Up this point I haven’t really used routines with ST. Is this the best way to go? Let me know and thanks again for your reponses.

(Jimmy) #8

ok Jason, i haven’t had my full dose of coffee this morning. I can’t find a link to the custom DH in that thread or any thread you linked to in that thread.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #9

Well, I have no idea what happened. It was there before…

But this is the device handler that I use.

I’m going to redo that write up

So I apologize in advance for my continued confusion on how this all works. Where do I install this code? Do I need to somehow download an app on graph.api.smartthings.com to get this working. Is the virtual switch still in play here? Sorry for the repeat question but will the code that you sent me allow me to tell echo to open and close the garage door or is the verbage turn on/off? How do I add a device to a virtual switch? Please bear with me on my questions and unfamiliarity with customizing ST with echo.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #11

So very sorry. We got off track big time.

No, you will not need a virtual switch to make this work.
The verbiage will be, “Alexa, open/close the garage door”

Follow this link for instructions on how to install a custom device type. This should help you. Please ask all of the questions you need to.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #12

@ibeastie
Follow this link. It’s better than the first one.

(Micheal ) #13

Hey there…I am the author of Alexa Helper…Sorry to give you more reading material, but this should help…

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper

In addition, I am here to help if you need it.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #14

We are probably confusing the hell out of you… Sorry.

But to clarify. There are two ways to do this.

1. using custom device handler and direct use with Alexa (what I described above)

2. using Alexa Helper. Which is an outstanding so that does a whole lot of great stuff.

Either way will give you the same result in the end. Your garage door will go up and down when you tell it to. I honestly don’t know if the verbiage is the same for both methods, but again, same end result.

I use the method I described, but I also use Alexa helper extensively with a lot of other automations.

So I was able to get the parent and child code on the api site. Where do I go from here now?

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #16

Are you going the route of Alexa helper?

Yes. Sorry about that.

(Jimmy) #18

Got mine to work with just the custom Device Handler. Thanks @bamarayne!

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #19

Not a problem… Ok, you have the parent and child apps installed in the ide? And you have the door controller included in smartthings?

When you go into the device, does it open and close properly?

It opens and closes in st. Confused on how to get it to open and close with Echo

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #21

Ok, follow these steps…

1 - open Alexa Helper
2 - tap on add/view virtual switches
3 - name the switch whatever you want to say to Alexa, garage door should be good. Make it an Alexa switch. Tap create switch. Tap done. Tap done again.
4 - tap create new Alexa scenario
5 - name the scenario, garage door open/close
6 - Tao scenario type. Choose the third one down (devices). Tap done.
7 - tap control scenario settings.
8 - Tap control switch, choose the switch you just created.
9 - choose switch state reacts to. Choose on/off.
10 - scroll down to “when switch is on” and choose smart things device control.
11 - scroll to the bottom and choose garage door. Choose your garage door. Tap done.
Scroll down to “when switch is off” and repeat steps 10 & 11.
12 - Tap done repeatedly until Alexa helper closes.
13 - go back into Alexa Helper. Your garage door scenario will be on the first page. If it is tap done.
14 - open the Amazon echo smart app.
15 - tap on my switches.
16 - choose the box next to the switch you created.
17 - tap done. Tap next. Tap done.
18 - tell Alexa to discover your devices.
19 - tell Alexa to open the garage door
20 - if it opened tell her to close the garage door.
21 - if that verbiage diedoes not work, try telling her to turn on/off the garage door.
22 - enjoy.

Let me know what the verbiage is.

Edit:
If the verbiage is on/off using Alexa helper I know for a fact that open/close works great using the custom device handler.
Fyi, this device will not run local with either of these methods.

Maybe I should go custom handler then. I really want to say open and close. How do I go about doing that? The Alexa Helper App did not show up or is myapps I the st ap. What do you mean by run local? Apologies again on my ignorance. This whole custom smart home thing is new to me

(Micheal ) #23

There are a lot of steps to get this to work…Be sure to read through the manual here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper

Your first step is to get the app installed. Be sure to publish it in the IDE…you will then see it in the marketplace.

I have the exact set up as you, and no offense to anyone here, but forget about any custom device, the statement about running locally, or any thing else…the Linear Garage door opener works great as installed by the SmartThings app. You can always change it later…right now just focus on getting it to work with Alexa Helper.

And please note, there is nothing special you need to do to use the command open/close…That is a function of the Amazon Echo, NOT Alexa Helper or SmartThings. Once you get this working you should simply be able to say “Alexa, open Garage Door” and it should open.

Very high level steps you need to follow are here. Refer to the manual for more specific detail:

1. Install the code for Alexa Helper and the child app
  2. Create an Alexa Switch to control the open/close states
  3. Associate the Alexa Switch with the Garage door device (using a Control Scenario within Alexa Helper)
  4. Associate the on command with open, and the off command with close
  5. Test and have fun!

Let me know if any of this is helpful.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #24

Yeah, I want sure about the verbiage which is why i mentioned.

@ibeastie Once you get the software installed, just follow the steps above and read the instructions…

You’ll be good to go!

Michael, for some reason I don’t see “my device types” I have the the Parent Published and the Child set to unpublished like the documentation suggests. Not sure why things look different. Correct me if I am wrong but “my device types” is where I will create the “Alexa Switch?”

(Micheal ) #26

The Parent app needs to be published. The Child app CAN be published but it is not necessary and it can just confuse the user when looking in the market place.

Regarding the Alexa Switch, that code is here: https://github.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/tree/master/devicetypes/michaelstruck/alexa-switch.src

You WILL publish this code under My Device Handlers. Again, there are a lot of critical steps, but once you get through them you will know 90% of what you need to do in other Smart Apps. The device installation is listed here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper#Virtual_Switch_Setup