New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

All I care about is turn on and off a light bulb or light switch. Is that too much too ask from Samsung? This fiasco did not start recently. It all started with new app transition two years ago.

Few weeks ago, I started to move all my rules to Alexa. Alexa routines are not advanced, but they DO WORK! I have disabled all my rules in SmartThings for the time being

Ok,

So how can this be so complicated. I have a simple zigbee door contact sensor (named “Front Door”) connected to my smartthings hub.

I have the NEW alexa skill activated and linked to my account and my “Front Door” device shows up and I can see in the alexa app the status of the contact sensor changing when the door opens and closes.

NONE of my alexa routines will trigger. I have two routines one when the door is open (to say front door is open) and one when its closed.

From the length of this thread I see this has been an issue long before we were forced to upgrade to the new skill.

Are there any official steps to fix this issue? I read something about renaming the device but i’ve tried renaming the device in both the alexa app and the smarthings app and it still doesn’t work.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the skill is broken as far as triggering an Alexa routine. :disappointed_relieved: SmartThings engineering is aware of the problem and is working on a fix, but has not given us a timeline yet. The problem is erratic and does not affect all people and always. Because they are working on it, it may get better for a while, then get worse again. There’s nothing that a customer can do except either be patient or look for other options. See the following:

New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020) - #792 by JDRoberts

Renaming is a fix for a different problem where devices are not recognized by Alexa even for on and off commands. But that’s different than the not triggering a routine issue. See the thread above for details on that.

Hey guys, I should clarify. Device names are fine with non ascii characters. The issue with non ascii characters are limited to manufacturer name that is supplied to Amazon while doing discovery. This name is set by device when paired and it is not something user can control.

3 Likes

Device name is fine, only manufacturer name set by device has issues.

1 Like

Since the new skill triggering has been very delayed and most often does not occur at all. Last night magically my door sensors is triggering alexa to run my routine. Am I lucky or did a fix go in?

Could Alexa now work? - #2 by JDRoberts

1 Like

Where are they? I’ve got two Peanut Plugs and had no issues with Alexa discovery.

Try creating NEW routine in Alexa app. Does the device show up as a supported device, or under not supported device?

Good news here. For the last 3 days all of my Alexa routines with SmartThings have been working perfect. I have several new ones that replace Echo Speaks and they have been working with no more than a one second delay as well. Very good news here.

2 Likes

Same here. Added a couple of new ones and they are all working so far.

I noticed our door sensor routines were working correctly last night… This gives me hope.

Shhhh! Don’t want to jinx it! :zipper_mouth_face:
(My Alexa routines have been triggering properly for a couple of days)

1 Like

@Lars
While you’re looking at the Alexa code, there’s another issue I’ve noticed.

If a device is recorded in smartthings as “name’s light” for example, it’s passed through to Alexa as “name s light”. This causes some issues as Alexa can’t then recognise when you ask for it due to the space. If the apostrophe can’t be passed, then “names light” seems to work just as well, but I’m having to edit the names of my devices after they’ve been picked up which isn’t helpful for keeping track of which Alexa device is which smartthings device

Regards

Known issue, and not really an issue. Let’s call it now known normal behavior. Amazon wants it parsed out from SmartThings. It’s irritating, but how it’ll be for now on. :rage:

1 Like

Well, I held out until they pried the old alexa skill out of my cold dead hands. After upgrading it looks like my zooz powerstrip child devices no longer get discovered.

2 Likes

This is a known issue with the new skill :frowning:

1 Like

Mines show up as switches on the Zooz and Aeon strips but I used the below app to create the devices.

@Lars,

Can you give an update on the status of the fixes Smatthings has been working in terms of the Alexa Skill and Integration. Seems all of my devices are working properly but wanted to get your feedback.

Thanks,

John

3 Likes

I’m interested in the status as well. My biggest issue now is having a working virtual button/momentary switch. Everything else seems to be responding in a timely manner.