Mini Smart Socket Integration

I just picked up a few of these Mini Smart Sockets dirt cheap.

They have a couple of different brand/model names but they are all the same (NTONPower, Tan Tan, etc). They work fine with the smart life app, they work fine with Alexa, but I would like them to work with ST. They are Wifi only.

I have the TP-Link HS100 plugs working in my system and I was hoping these could work in a similar fashion. Any suggestions on where to start to get these working w/ST?

The Model number on the plug is: XS-SSA01
FCC ID: https://fccid.io/2AL65-XSSSA01

1 Like

I have also purchased a couple of these plugs and trying to figure out how to integrate with ST. Is there documentation on how to do custom integration?

Answering part of my own post. You can write custom integration code.
http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/cloud-and-lan-connected-device-types-developers-guide/building-lan-connected-device-types/division-of-labor.html

The issue is that device documentation is required to know how to communicate to the device.

Interested to see if this can be done.

These sockets have been on sale for cheap for the last 2-3 months and they keep coming back. I’m really interested to see if these could be integrated. Currently have 8 at home and expecting 4 more!..

Any luck on getting this to work?

nope. i stopped using them. i strictly only use wemo mini plugs now.

Thanks. Going to regift this item I guess to my brother who I got an Alexa and doesn’t have a st hub

I’m not an expert in any way, but I have found a way to make these plugs somewhat communicate with ST.

If this plugs use the Smart Life app then it is possible to make them work with IFTTT and SmartThings as long as you are ok with waiting 1-1.5 seconds extra for your plug to turn on/off and you count on an Always ON internet connection. I have so far been using many of these plugs since they have been coming up on sale for months and I have found a way to bridge ST and the Smart Life app using IFTTT. Every single one of my plugs I can manage them via the ST app, Asking Google Home to turn these on/off does update the ST app and triggers the action withing the first second 1 or 1.5 sec.

So far I have the following models: XS-SSA01, TUS-001, JH-G01U and YM-WS-1, The former 2 will appear in IFTTT for the Smart Life app while the rest will require the user to create a Scene within the app that will show up in IFTTT.
ST integration requires creating a virtual On/Off Button Tile and create an applet in IFTTT to bridge both the ST Tile and the Smart Life plug (or scene).
In a short sentence: it is possible but not the classical way; it will require some knowledge and it is kind of tedious. But once is done it’s done.

1 Like

A DTH for these should sorta mirror the tp-link DTH, no??

I’m no expert, but maybe I’ll have a look at it.

Yes, the approach would be similar to how the old TP-Link DTH worked (which required a bridge server running 24/7). The new TP-Link DTH uses TP-Link cloud so no local bridge necessary. These plugs don’t seem to have a cloud implementation so I think the only possible way is the local bridge. But you need to be able to see the commands to even start Bridge/DTH development. There just isn’t enough interest to justify the work on this.

I’ve already swapped out all of my Mini smart sockets and my TP-Link HS100s with Wemo Minis. I just keep picking them up on eBay cheap.

Cool.
My use case is specific, and really warrants no reporting on power consumption or anything. Only automation needs to a) turn off when told by Alexa, and b) turn back on when turned off. Via IFTTT and a simulated switch, this was easy. So I’ll leave it at that.

1 Like

This smartplug type uses a CDTech (China Dragon Technology) CDT-N582660-00 802.11 b/g/n wifi module. Specifications PDF here.

In addition to HTTP for cloud server control, it does also support TCP, UDP, & FTP. Firmware can be updated either through the physical UART interface on the module itself, or via cloud server.

Although this module seems to be derived from the ESP8266, it’s not identical. You’ll find many references to the ESP8266 being used with Arduino-based IoT projects here on the ST Community Forums, but there’s one thread dedicated to burning custom firmware to SmartLife H801 RGBW strip controllers to convert them from being cloud server-controlled to local-network controlled, and directly accessible by a ST hub through a combination of a custom device handler, SmartApp, and service manager written by @erocm1231. This firmware also works on certain Arilux RGB/RGBW LED strip wifi controllers, which use the ESP8266 module.

The big issue with using a similar custom firmware solution to give direct SmartThings control of these CDT-N582660-00 module-based smart plugs is that you will land up destroying the plastic case in order to gain physical access to the UART programming interface. So we’re left with the method of updating the firmware over HTTP, and you’d need to know how the company that made the TuyaSmart iOS/Android app has designed the method for firmware updates.

As much as I’d love to stop using the TuyaSmart app to control the two of these smart plugs that I have, there is basically no information on the web regarding how the CDT-N582660-00 is programmed to connect to their servers for cloud control, let alone firmware updates.

If anyone has found any information about hacking the CDT-N582660-00 wifi module, I’d love to hear it, so perhaps a similar method to @erocm1231’s could be created to release these smart plugs from 3rd party cloud control.

1 Like

Hello, I am trying to get that done as well, how did u get the bridged? Thanks a lot!

Hey there,

Basically you need to create an IFTT account and register your ST and SmartLife accounts in it.
Then you need to create one virtual button on ST (via the API website/ Devices) per each SmartLife device you want to bridge. The name of the virtual button is “On/Off Button Tile”.
Now fo to IFTT and create 2 applets for each device (one for ON and one for OFF). Basically the idea is “When this ST button turns ON then turn ON this SmartLife device”. Do the same with OFF and for each of the devices you need to bridge.
Then if you are using Google Assistant or Alexa, make sure you unlink your SmartLife account from it and only link ST to your assistant.
For the most part it may take one extar second to see results when you request them.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone had any luck getting smart socket integrated with ST? IFTTT doesn’t show the virtual button i created in ST

Did you add the virtual button to the IFTTT smartapp inside the SmartThings app?

Make sure you press the virtual button a couple of times on the ST app and re-connect your ST service on IFTTT so it can refresh your devices list.