MiLights/Limitless LED (v6) + HaBridge + Node + Google Home

milight
googlehome

(mitch) #1

Hi All,

I have used this forum quite a bit and wanted to contribute back. After many painful hours and weeks trying to setup my MiLights (LimitlessLED, EasyBulb, etc) to work with Smart Things reliably I finally landed on a formula that works.

What I was trying to do

• Google Home control my MiLights (v6 hub)
  • SmartThings to build automation on my MiLights (e.g. Motion sensor to turn lights on, routines)
  • Use most of the MiLight features (e.g. Night Mode)
  • Not have something that left my home network (e.g. wanted it to be fast) and reliable (I tried a lot on here that would crash)

What you need

• MiLights + v6 Hub
  • SmartThings Hub
  • System capable of running Node script and Ha-Bridge (rPi, Windows, Linux, Mac all support) running 24/7, most people in this forum seem to have a computer running 24/7

Overview

• Google Home talks to Smart Things (Note: Google Home can talk direct to Smart Things, however it means you need to run more items to keep HA-Bridge and Smart Things in sync)
  • Smart Things sends commands to Ha-Bridge (on, off, brightness - color is not supported in this without using silly names)
  • Ha-Bridge executes a local node script
  • Node script (not written by me - used by many others already and reliably: https://github.com/mwittig/node-milight-promise) sends a signal to the v6 Hub to control lights

Software Setup

• Install HA-Bridge on your preferred device (https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge) - Lots of people have created videos on how to install / update HA-Bridge
  • Install NodeJS (https://nodejs.org/en/) - Again, many instructional videos already on how to do this
  • Make sure you installed them on the same server (for ease of use)

Set-up, test and integrate Node script with HA-Bridge
I followed these instructions: http://codecorner.galanter.net/2017/02/24/full-control-of-your-limitless-ledmilight-v6-bulbs-from-amazon-echo/

I wrote my own code at this step, you can also look at heaps of examples written by the node-milight-promise author on the Git Readme page(https://github.com/mwittig/node-milight-promise). My version added more commands to give me more flexibility within HA-Bridge, including controlling colour warmth (I found this really useful as it would automatically set the bulbs to my preferred setting - incase we’d changed colour or otherwise accidentally). My code repeats itself a little as I was testing different ways to operate it within HA-Bridge (I left this in so people could see different options).

var Milight = require('./src/index').MilightController;

var commands = require('./src/index').commandsV6;

var light = new Milight({
    ip: "192.168.x.xxx",
    type: 'v6'
}),

zone = process.argv[2],
action = process.argv[3];
white = process.argv[4];
bright = process.argv[5];

switch (action) {

case "on":
      light.sendCommands(commands.fullColor.on(zone), commands.fullColor.whiteTemperature(zone, white), commands.fullColor.brightness(zone, 100));	
      break;

case "allon":
      light.sendCommands(commands.fullColor.on(zone), commands.fullColor.brightness(zone, 100));	
      break;

case "off":
      light.sendCommands(commands.fullColor.off(zone));	
      break;

case "dim":
      light.sendCommands(commands.fullColor.on(zone), commands.fullColor.whiteTemperature(zone, white), commands.fullColor.brightness(zone, bright));
      break;

case "alldim":
      light.sendCommands(commands.fullColor.on(zone), commands.fullColor.brightness(zone, bright));	
      break;

case "night":
      light.sendCommands(commands.fullColor.nightMode(zone));
      break;

}

light.close().then(function () {
  console.log("All command have been executed - closing Milight");
});
console.log("Invocation of asynchronous Milight commands done");

My HA-Bridge commands:

• Turn on a light as warm white (e.g. for living room): node "[full-path-to-code]\led.js" 1 on 10 - Light 1, turn on, to a warm white colour
  • Turn on a light as a cool white (e.g. for bathrooms): node "[full-path-to-code]\led.js" 1 on 100
  • Turn off: node "node [full-path-to-code]\led.js" 1 off
  • Dim warm white lights: "node [full-path-to-code]\led.js" 1 dim 10 ${intensity.percent}
  • Set all MiLights into night mode: "node "[full-path-to-code]\led.js" 0 night

Once you’ve tested it all works via the HA-Bridge interface - just one last step.

HA-Bridge -> SmartThings

• Open SmartThings app, Add a Thing, all the lights you just created will show-up in here

Controlling it via Google Home

• Link SmartThings and Google Home, it will automatically populate all your lights. You will be able to control these lights throuugh the standard commands. E.g. “Hey Google, turn on the [name of light]”, “Hey Google, set the [name of light] to 50%”.
  • To control items like “Night Mode”, I added a light called “Night” in HA-Bridge, then I say “Hey Google, turn on Night” - in the example above, it will put all lights into the Night Mode setting
  • This will not control color

Hope this helps others trying to do the same, I strung together a few examples and tweaked some code along the way - big thanks to:

[RELEASE] New Milight / Easybulb / LimitlessLED integration
(Darren) #2

I like it. Very similar to how I set my milights up in the end but also different.

Just to add, ha bridge will show up in ST as a Hue Hub. My 24/7 pc like you to keep things local is a PI3 :grinning:

(Josh) #3

What version of HA-Bridge do you use. I have it installed and Google Home finds it fine, but when I try to add it via SmartThings it never finds it.

Thanks,

(mitch) #4

Hi, I’m using 4.1.4, I planned to upgrade but haven’t had time. I left the
HA-Bridge on the default settings (port 80 - if google home found it, you
likely have this port in use) and I gave it a static IP address.

I’ve never encountered this issue myself.

(Darren) #5

I use version 4.5.5 and I see 4.5.6 is now available.

(HH) #6

Hi, I was wondering if I could seek some help with the node-milight-promise.

I have followed the guide and managed to install NodeJS & HA-Bridge but encountered problem with node-milight-promise. Followings are steps I took;

1. Setting up rasberry pie 3B, installed NodeJS & HA-Bridge.
    “node -v” returns v9.4.0.
    can access HA-Bridge Web Interface.

2. Installed node-milight-promise within “habridge” folder using “npm install node-milight-promise”, which created “/habridge/node_modules/node-milight-promise”.

3. Copied Yuriy’s script “/habridge/led.js” for testing purposes.
    only changing ip to Wifi Bridge ip address.

4. Testing “nodejs led.js 1 off” within “habridge” folder; Zone 1 off.

5. Received msg;
    “Invocation of asynchronous Milight commands done”
    “All command have been executed - closing Milight”

6. No response from LEDs.

*** I can control LEDs via app. I can scan WiFi Bridge via LimitlessLED admin tool for windows.
*** LimitlessLED Wifi Bridge, model no. iBox2 (the one w/ black strip, I am guessing this is V6?)
*** This is best I can provide in my knowledge and skills, please let me know if there is a log I could access & provide?

The Question is what am I doing wrong, and is there any way I can test if Wifi Bridge itself or node-milight-promise is working properly? I am not sure where it went wrong.

Is node-milihgt-promise sending commands properly?
Did I make mistake invoking commands?
Did I make mistake installing node-milight-promise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated~!

(Steve) #7

Hi HarumHong. I’m working on a similar issue but the LimitlessLED.com site seems to be offline.
Are you able to upload a copy of the LimitlessLED Admin Tool for me please and post a link?

(Brian Freund) #8

In case this helps, I found a copy of the /dev page:

(Steve) #10

That’s brilliant - thanks Brian.

One other thing while I think of it… do you know if anyone captured a copy of the LimitlessLED v6 Admin Tool? It would have been on their site as LimitlessLEDv6.zip

That’s been really hard to find elsewhere.

(Brian Freund) #11

Ah, that I’m afraid I’m not to certain on. I unfortunately don’t have a copy, best of luck!

(Ben Krajancic) #12

Hi everyone, I’ve made a repo that has a full archive of the dev page, https://github.com/Fantasmos/LimitlessLED-DevAPI

Not sure if it can help @Jellygoop , but https://github.com/Fantasmos/LimitlessLED-DevAPI/tree/master/Jan10 contains some code for emulating the V6 bridge. Hopefully it can be used in place of the admin tool!

(Steve) #13

Thanks Ben, appreciate you putting this together!

I actually found a copy of the v6 Admin Tool as well over the weekend. Link below…

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=87358.0;attach=38542

(Ben Krajancic) #14

Great to hear, i’d be happy to add it to the repo as well (but I can’t access it as there’s a login required to access it)

(Steve) #15

Sorry Ben - didn’t think that one through.

I’ve uploaded it to zippyshare. Hopefully you can access form there.

Steve

(Ben Krajancic) #16

Thanks a ton, i’ve added it to the repo!