Lutron Z-wave @ Home Depot

(Joel T) #1

Home Depot is finally getting with the program, and isstarting to sell some Z-wave/HA stuff.

They had Lutron switches for <$50. I’m hoping they have Instant Update, which is something lacking in the GE switches from Lowes, etc. at a similar price-point.

I think this one is sending instant updates, but is the standard Z-wave switch device type insisting on polling before updating status? From my logs below (device GUID masked), the “null” events show up instantly, but of course my system doesn’t update (turn on other lights) until the “on” event is parsed 2-4 seconds later (for this capture). Sometimes the delay is longer - pretty much akin to the delays seen with GE/Jasco… Would love to get rid of the delay. Anyone with experience with these?

xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 8:40:07 PM: debug Parse returned Porch Light Switch switch is off
xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 8:40:05 PM: debug Parse returned Porch Light Switch switch is off
xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 8:40:03 PM: debug Parse returned null
xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 8:39:32 PM: debug Parse returned Porch Light Switch switch is on
xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 8:39:30 PM: debug Parse returned Porch Light Switch switch is on
xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 8:39:26 PM: debug Parse returned null

(Juan Risso) #2

Hi! This is a problem regarding a patent. That’s why switches can’t send notifications to the hub after being actuated. This affects all the zwave switches. To get around this we poll after sending the command to confirm the state.
This patent is do to expire in less than a year.

(Joel T) #3

Juan,

I get that, but I understood that Lutron was the company that owned the patent, and thus expected it to be supported by this particular switch. Are you saying the hub itself is prevented from receiving instant updates because of this?

It’s weird, because I have a GE switch about 15 feet away that updates much more quickly than this Lutron, each and every time.

(Juan Risso) #4

No, this was implemented at the zwave specification level. What’s the model of the switch? I will check if we have it here at Smartthings and sniff it if I can :smile:

(Scott G) #5

This is an interesting bit of info! Do you think the current zwave switch makers (GE, Linear) will quickly update their switches for instant-on? Do you know exactly when this will occur?

Thanks for any insight!

(Juan Risso) #6

The problem is that most of the old devices don’t support OTA update. This function was introduced recently, in new devices, so I don’t think old devices can be updated.

(Scott G) #7

I meant for new stock. I hadn’t even thought of updating firmware although that would be awesome if it is possible.

If they incorporate this into new stock, it probably means great deals on the legacy stock for switches/locations where instant-on isn’t important as well as more options with this feature, which would be key for using ST to turn on/off multiple lights based on a single switch to minimize delays. Great for everyone!