Low voltage residential light switches

I did a quick search and did not find much as far as low voltage light switches for the home.
If we build our next house I would like to avoid having 120vac running “through” the light switches and instead just run to where it needs to be (lights, outlets, etc).
So I am looking for the switches to be “smart”/wifi to control a relay at the load (light, outlet, etc.).

Does anyone know of a hi-tech house that does this or a company that has products like this that can be installed in a house in 2018?

Technically the fibaro dimmers have 0v switches to them as I understand. So the device takes 120-240v but you then take a switch cable from there to dumb push switches which is at 0v.

Screenshot_20180717-234311

So you can install the device at the light and then take a 3 core down too the switch at 0v

why? This is more common in commercial buildings with proprietary lighting systems.

I wouldn’t want a residence uniquely wired this way. You’d better talk to an electrician.

Yes you right this is how lighting control systems are done in commercial set ups. This is what I do for my job, I set them systems up and I’m a electrician :slight_smile:

I’m currently rewiring my house and fitting in smart controller’s, but I’m taking all the feeds down too the switches because then they can be changed or revert back to conventional switching.

1 Like

Wouldnt it be “safer” if the high voltage/high amps ran only to the devices. When I say high, I mean in comparison to lets say a 5vdc tiny amperage remote switch.
I would think the runs could be made more efficient and have less opportunities for sparks, which I would assume have a greater chance at occurring at any place the wire has been spliced and connected.
I know it may sound silly to some, but every time we flip a switch we are putting our hand within inches of 120v/15amps. I realize residential codes make installations safe and the plastic boxes prevent fires. But I see all future devices in a house being controlled through wifi by a mobile device or remote control. So why not just make these switches simply wifi and not directly connected to power?

Check with your local township, but I think in most places in the US you will find that you will be required to provide a certain number of 120 V switches and outlets per room, whether you intend to use them or not. This is intended to make life simpler for people buying single-family residential homes, as they can assume that all wiring is pretty much the same. It also makes life simpler for building inspectors, public safety employees, and insurance companies. But again, check with your local jurisdiction as they may not have the same requirement.

safer, schmafer. Sure, low-voltage is safer. Let us all be super-safe at all times.

This “safer must be better” inclination, is why humans are devolving. Nobody can eat peanut butter in public schools. You won’t be allowed to drive the self-driving car (which is OK by me since I’d rather take a nap). Morons won’t vaccinate their children. Owners must wear arc-flash protection when working on 120v circuits.

Yes some of the above is hyperbolic fiction, for now.

My initial point, and as Jroberts noted, is that houses are wired to standards that make construction and the ownership risks predictable. Deviation from standards is additional risk (financial, operational, whatever) to buyer.

Since OP is an electrician and knows the code standards, and is capable of restoring the wiring to whatever code applies for resale, then whatever is nonstandard can be restored by him, his sub, or disclosed to buyer.

all just my selfish opinion.