Love/Hate relationship

I have been switching over from Wink to SmartThings and slowly. I mean slowly getting my house back in order with home automation. I still have a lot of researching to do and figure ways to utilize devices Wink Relays and other devices finding not supported by SmartThings natively. Thus my love hate frustration. For starters finding SmartThings will support a lot of devices, but also finding out some of ways I used devices in Wink are not the same. I had robots in Wink setup to control devices or even shut off all lights inside house, lock doors at night, and make sure my garage door was shut. I could use any standard z-wave, wifi, and Zigbee switch to stay powered on but control smart lights with out bypassing wires in walls. Which is a issue because most Lutron, Leviton, and even GE light switches have way to turn power off manually for safety or disconnect. I run in my house all three companies of light switches plus GE-Quirky, and Wink Relays. And as far as Smart Lights, Philips HUE, and WIZ, GE Wink Lights. I am trying to find ways to control WIZ lights off light switches. So far I have added WIZ motion sensor to my Garage and WIZ remote. Couldn’t get my Leviton Dimmer switch to play nice with HUE’s or WIZ lights… Actually had issues with lights acting up and not working right. Been researching Z-wave S2 switches or few WIFI switches that might allow me to get the job done with option to wire lights as normal but control in setting manually to connect as remote switch and keeping circuit open on switch. Which is fine as long as there is manual shut off on the switch. I also finding that some products will work with Amazon Alexia, and Others Google Home Hub. So right now I have 2 Alexia Displays, 2 Google Displays and 2 tablets on test bench to try to control items not supported in SmartThings. I am about to get Habbitat Hub to fill the void for devices not supported with out jumping through hoops, and use Tiles and IFTTT to take back my house and expand devices I always wanted to control from several touch pads/ tablets. At some point I also plaining to do take over of current alarm and replace with Alarm.com. Which is so much more straight forward to me, seeing I install them. Which is great product for straight forward automation. But like everything in my life trying to cut down things to one single App to control my life, and control my house, and some day expand to other places. My frustration also into products I have had for years like MyQ, Nest, and new to my list Ring. Companies that limited device support into Smart Hubs and or only working with one brand if at all like Nest Smoke detectors. I was in love with them for years till they got bought out, love knowing if something where to go wrong in the house. I could have automaton to unlock the house and open garage door and notify people of issue in the home. Turn all lights on in house, activate outdoor siren all this. To make sure my two dogs where safe, I have 4 of Nest Smoke detectors in my house. Because switch from Wink to SmartThings has deactivated my link to hub integration native control… I also finding that SmartThings is great amount of supported devices but way to much work to deep dive into companies products to see what actually works. Side frustration is finding junction box recessed RGB lights that work on Z-wave, Zigbee or WiFi… If you have every been in Lowes or Home Depot there lights like Halo that allow you to have lights appearance of can lights for way much cheaper and small hole on ceiling. To me can lights are thing of the past, know a lot of developers and contractors who have switched to junction box lights from traditional can lights. For cost, energy savings, and ease of install. Been working my house home automation for years, and remodeling the house too. I have also at one point thought about Control4 and Crestron install. Who knows might still end up going that route. Just the cost that I rather put into house or needed upgrades as needed…

My next project that got me to write this was researching outdoor RGB Patio String lights that I could hang in the yard and change color all year long for mood lighting or parties. With out having bright RGB spot lights blinding guests or us when we are outside at night with the dogs, or in the hot tub… I also trying to get Denon receivers and Apple Airport hubs with Airplay2 to intergrade into my mix of control. I love to have ways to control lights to change to music types and locations throughout out my house indoor and outdoor. But not limited to control of TV and devices. Makes my head spin how much could be done if like the days back DVD vs HD DVD vs Blu-ray vs Streaming. Everything went to streaming… Wish home automation had single unity of support like Security Cameras which is call ONVIF, does not matter brand of camera if it supports ONVIF it will work with your system… Getting so tired of Wink vs SmartThings vs Hubitat vs HomeKit vs what ever… Z-wave, Zigbee, Bluetooth, WiFI, etc should not be limited to certain hubs… Should be in perfect world just be able to work…