List of Compatible WiFi Outlets?

Is there a complete list of WiFi outlets that work with Smartthings? If not, are there any devices that are confirmed to work? I am looking for at least 1 or 2 brands of outlets that are cheap, and cheap seems to equal WiFi. I have 4 WiFi Etekcity outlets that work great with voice commands via Google Home, but I really want outlets that I can control from ST and webCoRE.

I have already “broken the bank” on many Z-wave devices: wall switches, motion sensors, temperature sensors, etc. It would be nice to get a handle on some WiFi devices you can ideally control directly with ST (not a cloud app), or even with ST via cloud app if that is really a requirement.

The official compatibility list is the safest choice for this. WiFi can be really tricky. Just open the app to add a device and check what’s listed there. Remember that if a brand is listed that doesn’t mean that every model of that brand will be in the smartthings integration, so you do have to do some research.

Meross, TP Link Kasa, and Currant are some Brands that currently have smartthings integrations through the app. But more are coming.

Alternatively, see the community FAQ for methods using either IFTTT or Alexa as a “man in the middle.“ ( The topic title is a clickable link.)

Otherwise you just have to search the forum for the specific brand and see if anyone is using it.

I personally use Meross and like them very much. They are ETL safety listed, some models also work with HomeKit, and they are very inexpensive. They also have a nice form factor. They are often sold in multi packs which bring the price down even lower.

https://www.amazon.com/meross-Smart-Plug-HomeKit-Pack/dp/B084JHJBQT/

1 Like

It looks like most people using etekcity are using the vesync IFTTT channel.

Thank you very much. This is helpful. Unfortunately IFTTT is okay, but reliant on Etekcity cloud (VeSync). It would be nice if ST could connect to WiFi outlets over WiFi so there is no cloud dependency.

Have you heard of anyone using a sniffer on their home network to reverse engineer the protocol for Smart WiFi devices? It seems as though someone on this forum who uses a sniffer regularly to decode communications could do so for WiFi outlets and many other devices. Even if they cannot write the code, possibly publish what is learned from the sniffer.

If many WiFi devices were supported, I think the lower cost of entry would really help Home Automation get more traction.

As discussed in multiple places in the forum, the real issue is that WiFi does not have a standardized format for Home Automation commands, Unlike zwave and the zigbee that smartthings uses. So the commands are different for every individual manufacturer.

Smartthings has made the decision that it is a better use of their time and resources to wait for the manufacturers to come up with an integration for their specific models and then smartthings will certify it. IHome did that early on, and more brands are now doing it, particularly with the new platform which is easier for them to work with. That’s why some of these will only work with the V3 app.

There’s no question that the lower cost helps with Home Automation popularity overall, you can see that in devices that work with echo. But that doesn’t mean it’s worth it to Samsung, because every new brand means additional customer support costs and headaches. They really want the device manufacturers on board to handle that part. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The small savings are not worth the trouble.

As far as I know, the currently compatible WiFi plugs are Cloud-to-Cloud integration. Meaning yet another potential point of failure.

If you have a reliable ZigBee and/or Z-Wave network, then treasure and respect it by building upon it / them.

2 Likes

it is between 4x and 8x more for Z-Wave vs WiFi depending on brands. I’m not that impressed with my Z-Wave switches and dimmers that I paid $50-ish for. The LED on them is supposed to be on when the switch is off and vice versa. Out of about 15 of them, 3 are the opposite. I have to re-join the network with 2 of them periodically. Two others won’t turn on at times, and then they do a few days later. I have Samsung WiFi (purchased new this year) with 3 routers, one per floor. Each has a Z-wave radio. I have about the strongest signals you can get. At this point I have had better experience with my Etekcity WiFi outlets than the Z-wave devices. In 6 months I have had to unplug one and plug it back in.

Given there are under 20 brands of WiFi outlets and other WiFi devices, it seems some creative engineer would have sniffed their home network and figured out how to direct connect and bypass the cloud service the WiFi devices use.

Thank you for all of your replies, much appreciated.

You misunderstand SmartThings’s integration process.

SmartThings only provides the platform, API, and publication standards / certification request process.

To get their particular WiFi outlet(s) / device(s) integrated, each manufacturer has to put in the effort and expense. If done properly, SmartThings will be overjoyed to give them WWST™ certification.

BTW: Most, but not all, WiFi integrations are “cloud to cloud” so far. I think it’s easier to code, probably.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help. Is the full API that is available to manufactures also available to users? If so, assuming the protocol used over WiFi can be reverse engineered, is there any reason the manufacture has to be involved?

I have used products like wireshark in the past to reverse engineer protocols, and am considering attempting to do so. If I will not have access to all of the API calls the vendors of hardware do, there is not much point in attempting that.

SmartThings’s Platforms API is public.

As for the device manufacturers, some (maybe most?) do not publish their APIs. They possibly want to lock you into their App(s) or want to avoid the security risks and other overhead of a public API.

If you’re able to get it working via network sniffing, well…enjoy the project.

1 Like