Is smartthings still relevant?

• Just like HomeKit is an add on for AppleTV and iOS.
  • Just like Smart Home is a small feature of Alexa (and Alexa exists to collect marketing data for Amazon and provide frictionless shopping).
  • Just like Google “home” is an add on for Google Assistant which starter as an Android feature, but is just a path for Google to get more engagement and more advertising revenue.
3 Likes

@jupiterfish you came back after two years… just to tell us you are leaving?!

Wut?!

3 Likes

Ha, ha, ha, good one @Benji ! He came back to remind everyone how unhappy he is with his set up. Hmmmmm

1 Like

So actually 3.5 years… wow…

2 Likes

I wonder what he’s been doing during that time? Lol

I guess we could recommend HE, but that’s about like ST was back in Jan 2016…

Hmmmm…

2 Likes

I have just had Home Assistant (where I made sensors from Arduino etc), also Google Home. Now I have bought about 2500$ in Smartthings V3 stuff

There are many hubs, but what made me like this one was the fact that it has both zigbee 3.0 and zwave plus, also the UI looks OK and it supports many things out of the box.

Then there is the fact that users can create Device Handlers and share them. So I am thinking now I dont have time to fiddle with Home Assistant. If I do however grow out of Smartthings, Home Assistant supports Smartthings anyways :stuck_out_tongue:
So then I can just use Smartthings as a more technical hub for communication and create scenes etc. inside HA.

My initial impressions of smartthings is good though, I have two hubs, 3 cameras, a lot of buttons, motion sensors, all in one sensors etc. Then I have bought a lot of dimmers etc. Also I have already Ikea Traadfrii and some switches etc.

1 Like

started using apple homekit with homebridge. …merged all these shitty hubs together into a superhub. i now can buy whatever device I want and add it. all managed by apple homekit which is stable as hell. Welcome to the future…i built matter before it existed. your welcome.
did they kill the Samsung ide yet?

Samsung missed their target date for transitioning to the new architecture, so IDE is still up for now. It is expected to be discontinued once the transition is complete.

I, too, use HomeKit for my mission-critical use cases, but there are some very interesting plans for smartthings over the next year or two. It’s true, we won’t know what we actually get until we get it, but I am mildly optimistic.

First, they are definitely moving towards more local operation in a big way. And it’s already here in beta. See the following:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

Second, SmartThings has announced support for matter, although it’s only going to be one way. They’ll be able to bring matter-compliant devices into the smartthings app, but they are not going to expose devices connected to a smartthings hub to other matter-compliant apps. Still, matter will bring together a lot of devices.

Matter - smart home connectivity standard (formerly Project CHIP)

It’s not ideal. If Samsung had supported two-way integration, you’d be able to bring a SmartThings/Aeotec hub and all its connected devices into, for example, Apple home. Without using homebridge. but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen that way. Still, half a loaf is better than none.

Again, we will have to wait and see what actually gets delivered, but the trajectory is definitely an improvement. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I, for one, am happy the transition is going slower than Samsung anticipated. The only reason I’m still on Smartthings is so I can continue to use WebCoRE. All my automation runs on WebCoRE. I know I’ll have to move to Hubitat to keep using WebCoRE once Samsung kills Groovy and the IDE and I’ve already purchased the Hubitat Hub to do just that. I’m also hanging on in case the end solution for the new SmartThings turns out to be better than I think it will be. But I doubt it will be.

I’m not at all averse to changing things. After all, running any of the current HA systems requires flexibility and willingness to change. But, to me, the current direction seems to be a step backward.

I’m hoping it’s still relevant, since I bought an Aeotec V3 hub last week :slight_smile:

I was drawn in by the Edge drivers and the fact that SmartThings supports the Ikea buttons and motion sensors that my current hub (Hubitat) does not and will not based on what the Devs and Management have said. Zigbee 3.0 and future Matter support(?) are bonuses.

I went to Home Assistant years ago and never looked back. No regrets what so ever. Anything you can do in WebCore you can do in Node-Red with even more capability. To each his own.