Iris Smart Button

Anybody have trouble getting this device to reset? I have one that I have tried about 20 times to reset after I excluded it from my v1 hub, but can’t ever get it to go into pairing mode to enable it on my v2. I have removed the battery, press and hold the button while i put it back in, and release the button after a few seconds. I have tried releasing it after 1-10 seconds, waiting every number of blinks, i just can never get the blue light back… any advice?

Not gonna lie, it’s a pain in the ass.

2 Likes

Not what I wanted to hear exactly, but misery does love company…

I’ve about given up on the Smart Buttons. Two were finally able to reset/connect. I returned the third one before I got Hulk-mad. Unless you have to have a single big-button, you might consider the Iris Key Fob. I works great although the presence function is pretty iffy.

unfortunately I threw the box away after i got it working on the v1 hub, so i can’t return it. i’d have given up days ago if I could get my money back on this piece of junk… all i’ve got to do is squeeze it and it resets…

The first time I was using the “Connect New Device” in the SmartThings App, I never found the button. I went back (using the top left “arrow”) and there was an unconfigured thing. That was my button. I tried configuring it and it didn’t work at first. I deleted the thing and performed the steps to reset and it worked.

I just followed the factory reset instructions here, although I suspect that’s what you are already doing:
https://support.irisbylowes.com/link/portal/30143/30206/Article/545/Next-Gen-Iris-Smart-Button

Finally just sat down next to the hub in pairing mode and just keep popping the battery out and back in and holding/pressing the button until i saw it identify. thanks for all the help guys.

So I half screwed up and bought one of these buttons, for the most part it works. What I failed to think about before I bought it was that it is Zigbee and all of my devices run on Z-Wave. The button works, but not where I need it because of the distance to the hub and not having any devices which will repeat the signal for me. It is literally the only Zigbee device I own, everything else is Z-Wave. So if you are looking into buying one make sure you have other Zigbee devices in the house which will act as repeaters otherwise you may not get the results you are looking for.

Can someone please provide some troubleshooting tips? I’m new to custom device handlers.

I have tried both Mitch P’s device handler and the modified one by Canalrun. I added the code to the IDE and then self published it.

I’m then able to get the button to register with the hub, but only as a Thing. I have then gone back to the IDE to edit the Thing device. I changed the name to “Iris Smart Button” or “Iris Smart Button II” (depending on the name defined in the code). I changed Type to “Button Capability” and the Version to “Self Published”.

Back in the phone app, I added the Button Controller to control a GE Zwave dimmer switch (which works fine turning it on and off from within the ST app). Basically, button presses do nothing. When I look at the “Recently” history in the ST app, it’s empty.

I have reset the Smart Button numerous times.

Also, when I tried adding the Button Controller yesterday, I recall seeing a setting that told the controller to be a toggle. I don’t see that any longer during my more recent attempts to get this to work.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

You don’t need to rename the device. The type should be set to whichever code you are using. The self published types should be at the bottom of the list. Once you’ve added the code, it should pair as an Iris Smart Button, not a Thing. If it’s still pairing as a Thing, then something else is going on.

Yes. It has never paired as an Iris Smart Button. Not sure where to go from here.

I got this going after purchasing a new Smart Button, which paired right up. I’m guessing the first one was defective.

How is the battery door removed to remove the battery?

The iris/lowes video shows the battery door already open.

Try this:

1 Like

@mitchp

Hi all, I am using the following device handler:

Device Handler

• My button reports constantly -557*F
  • The “held” command does not work

Are you guys experiencing the same issues?
Are you using a different Device Handler?

Thank you for your support!

Not sure why you expect it to work, when the code says this in the updates section:

03-25-2016 : Modified to always be Pushed (for the way I use these buttons). Lines 160/161 can be changed to revert back to normal operation.

LOL that made my Monday morning!

But yeah, seriously, always read the change log @amegn1000, it’s amazing the little things you’ll find in there when we have so many versions of different apps and handlers floating around.

This device is so unreliable to begin with though, I’d almost just recommend having a single action and leaving the handler you have in place.

Hey!

I manually chaged the lines 160 - 161 to:

//return createButtonPushedEvent(button)
	return createButtonHeldEvent(button)

But, I am still freezing in my living room, apparently it is -557*F, pretty usual for a summer in Florida! :joy:

Anything I can do to fix the temperature issue?

Thanks!