Iris Smart Button

Thanks. Got the blue light and tried pairing about 10 times and no luck. Sigh.

Will try again later!

Make sure you start Connect New Device first and having it searching before you reinsert the battery. I let it set there what seemed like forever and once time it found it and another time it didn’t. But I closed the Smartthings app, opened it back up and there under items that need to be configured.

Mine doesn’t light up at all (anymore). Even with a new battery. Looks like a dud. Same with the motion detector that came with the Lowe’s set. Can’t get that to work correctly either. At least it will pair but that’s it. A couple of temp readings, battery readings and that’s it…

I finally got it working as a wall-mounted light controller. It took forever to pair it properly but now it’s working well. I actually moved away from the hub a bit and the pairing seemed to easier.

No Lowes by me carry this - huge bummer. I really want something like this to control a bedroom light. Any other new devices like this that are available to purchase elsewhere?

Here are some other possibilities:

Actually found this thread from that thread, ha. :slight_smile: Thanks though, so it seems I’ll have to be patient for it to show up at my Lowes.

It’s either this or Flic, but seeing as how Flic still hasn’t even shipped and is about $15 too much…

Flic has shipped, I bought several from Amazon. But it does cost more and needs a bluetooth device nearby.

Is the Iris button not available online?

Ah, so their website must be backordered as they say January. Thanks for the heads up JD. I haven’t messed with IFTTT but maybe I need to at this point. The only concern is I heard lag is pretty apparent which would be a downside as I want it instant on while walking into the bedroom before I trip over something (currently have that issue which is why I want something).

The iris button doesn’t show available in stores (100mi.), even tried 90210 haha. Won’t even give me ship options. Very odd.

Pm me I have one new in the box I don’t need.

When people are pairing this does it correctly identify the device with the custom device type? I only get it to show up as a Thing. I changed the device type in the IDE and was able to see temp and battery but it didn’t respond to button presses. I’ve been trying to re-pair since but I never get the blue light to show up on reset. It still appears as a thing in the unconfigured devices screen.

Sometimes you have to tell someone it doesn’t work just to get it to start working. So now it paired as an Iris Smart Button, although I still never saw the blue light. It’s reporting temp/battery. The light flashes green when i use the button, but there’s no response in Smartthings. There’s nothing in the recent tab and the lights I’ve attached to it with button controller don’t respond. Ideas?

Editting on - OK so the button has finally turned the light on and off. Is there no support for long press on this device? Because that doesn’t appear to work. There is definitely a battery contact issue with this device and pressing on the back of the device to make sure the battery is making contact got it working. I think green light means the power just came on, that’s what shows up when i press the back. Red light comes on when the button is pushed. Can people confirm the lights? I’m going to try to shim the battery in there with some paper to make the contact more secure.

Edit2 - Long press is working. I had to redo the button controller ap. Everything is good except for poor battery contact. Watch out for that.

1 Like

Ok, that’s making sense to me now. Sometimes I see the green light, but sometimes I don’t. Also, sometimes the press does’t work the first time after sitting around for a while and I have to press it a second time. Sometimes the first pres registers as a “held” event, even though I just pressed it. Are you experiencing anything like that?

That’s on my list of issues to address. I believe it stems from either the messages arriving out of order, or the platform not processing them in order.

[quote=“johnconstantelo, post:71, topic:29438, full:true”] sometimes the press does’t work the first time after sitting around for a while and I have to press it a second time. Sometimes the first pres registers as a “held” event, even though I just pressed it. Are you experiencing anything like that?
[/quote]

I think your battery isn’t pressed against the terminal. That’s probably when you see the green light right? So you press the button and it makes connection to the battery again, but it doesn’t register a button press because it was off. So far I haven’t seen anything weird with button presses. Seems like releasing any time before the second red blink is a press and during the second blink is a hold. All I’ve done is some short testing.

1 Like

Fast reply @mitchp, thanks! I don’t have the button really being used yet, so I can wait and experiment.

@compliance, I think you’re right. It’s just sitting around right now, so I’ll poke it later tonight. I bet I see the green light. I haven’t played with it much either.

Before trying the button hold the sides and press on the back. I bet you will see the green light.

So after 3 weeks of thinking this button was a dud I took a knife to it and bent the battery contact all the way in the back in towards the battery a bit more. The button now works! Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m getting anxious for the delivery of my SmartThings kit. I am going to want to dive right into using it.

I can see myself buying a SmartButton – or three.

I see the above code contributed by Mitch Pond and I’ve seen similar code contributed by others on this forum.

I’m going to go ahead and expose my newbie-ness. It might be obvious, but how does one go about using code such as the above? Can someone give a real quick tutorial or pointer?

Would code, such as above, be a called a “custom device description” or something like that?

I see the button mentioned seems more like an indoor button. It would be great to have an outdoor version of this button that could be used as a doorbell. I currently have a cheap wireless doorbell with two buttons that generate different flash patterns and five receivers/flashers plugged into outlets all over the house. I would love to have something equivalent that could be used with ST.

Barry.

I’m also a noob and just did it without any hassle.

You’ll want to go into https://graph.api.smartthings.com/

Add new Device Type. Then click from code tab. Paste the code above. Then publish it to yourself.

Once you start syncing the smart button, it’ll be recognized as an Iris Smart Button. From there, you can configure a smart app. For example, my button turns on my bedroom lamp. If I hold it, it runs the good night routine.

BTW: Thanks so much for the custom device type to make this work! It’s one less thing to hear complaining about in my house. :smiley: