Iris Orbit Hose Faucet Timer

I know this is an old topic but I dug my four IRIS Orbit 27087 out of a drawer and got them paired with Smartthings using the DTH in this thread. I was curious if there are any updated Device Handlers that would allow me to open these for less than 10 minutes? It appears that the device handler only does 10 minutes no matter what you set the timer slide to.

Thanks

1 Like

Nope. I tried creating a DTH of my own, and it’s just too simple of a device and it wasn’t worth it. I joined mine as as a Zigbee Switch, and it works great with the new app and Classic. I use the new app’s timer feature to turn on the device, and then off after X minutes. It’s simple and it works.

1 Like

Great idea thank you! I changed the DH to a Zigbee Switch and then just used the Smart Lighting App in the Classic App to turn off the switch after 5 minutes using the Power Allowance setting. Seems to work fine.

1 Like

Looks like this thing needs a new device handler for the new app. It “works” still, but for some reason no matter how I turn it on (classic, new app, webcore) and no matter what time I tell it to turn on for, it always defaults to 10 minutes. I can’t run it longer or shorter. Have also tried just using it as a zigbee switch, same thing.

I’ve tried for weeks to develop a DTH that allows the timer to go past 10 minutes, but that is actually baked into the device itself. I’m sure that the old Iris system may have been able to do it, but there’s no Zigbee cluster and attribute value being exposed that’s letting a developer adjust this. I’ve also not been able to find the Zigbee specs for this timer, which makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to develop a good DTH.

If I remember right, the DTH that’s out there now uses commands to schedule multiple 10 minute intervals that make it seems like it’s running for whatever time you set, but it always defaults to 10 minutes to shut off. Refer to this for more info:

This is a super old device that’s not even supported by the manufacturer, so don’t expect too much there. As far as the developer updating the DTH for the new app, I’d keep your expectations low because that’s a lot of work to replicate the scheduling circus it does, especially when Groovy goes away some day.

I’ve already posted above about trying to develop a DTH, and I’m not going any further. I’m using the stock Zigbee Switch DTH with several automations to run for as long as I like when needed. I know it’s a PITA, but there’s not much I can do about that since I want to use this timer. I’m also using a Spruce sprinkler controller that’s already integrated with ST, so I have automations tied to those integrated zones to turn on the timer as part of my normal watering schedule w/Spruce.

I had this device paired up and working last summer… (2020)

Paired up pretty much instantly… Changed the device type to ZigBee Switch and used it all summer season…

I pulled the batteries and put it away last fall for the winter season… leaving it configured and Offline over the winter…

I put the batteries back in a couple days ago and it remains Offline… I’ve removed it from the SmartThings IDE… but still can’t get my v2 hub to see it…

Other than a possible hub update over the winter, I have no idea why it won’t even try to see it this spring…

It was fairly limited last summer, but I was happy to be able to control the start times etc… & get some life out of this old device.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in Advance

Same thing happened to me. It took a few attempts to get it to rejoin. I believe I went through the join process and had the hub in inclusion mode while reinserting the batteries.

1 Like

Thank you for your note and it gives me hope… tho, currently still unsuccessful…

I see that I have a log indicating that the old device name was not allowed to unsecure rejoin… ??

I don’t know if that helps any or not?
I’m not exactly sure how to get it into the inclusion mode… other than to scan for nearby devices… assuming that is what you are referring to?

Thanks Again for your note .

Yup, scan nearby is what I did. You should also allow unsecured rejoin on your hub. You’ll eliminate a lot of headaches.

Ah… Oh, yes…

I had to edit the hub to allow for Unsecure Rejoin and it connected right up and is working…

& Then change that Unsecure Rejoin back to False…

So thanks for your help and that got it…
An extra step I’ll need to take if I opt to keep this set for Unsecure Rejoin to be set to False.

Thanks Again,
Joe K

1 Like