iOS mobile presence.... Sigh

My son’s iPhone does the same thing as WambleJ’s. It always reports him present whether he is or not (iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.1). I first set it up at the dentist’s office (5 miles from home) and it said he was present. My iPhone works fine (and always has), and its comings and goings trigger reports in the “Activity Feed.” The activity feed for my son’s iPhone has never registered - completely blank. I’ve tried setting his phone as a presence sensor in multiple ways - “Presence Change Push” app, “Stay connected to family” under the dashboard, etc. Nothing works to recognize his iPhone as a presence sensor, even though I’ve set the geofence on his phone and the app says it will be a presence sensor. I’ve tried opening & re-opening the app, deleting and re-installing the app, logging him off and back on, all to no avail. If anyone had any suggestions, I’m all ears.

What about removing app and reinstalling it? That and/or deleting his account and re-adding it.

I’ve tried removing the app, but not deleting his account - only logging him off and back on. I’ll try to delete his account and then re-create it. Thanks.