Install and integration question (Samsung Connect and Homeseer Switches)

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am not posting this question correctly. Also, I am new to smart home technology. I have 4 different lighting circuits each with either 3- or 4-way lighting. After reading the WireCutter and other reviews of various switches I decided to purchase several HomeSeer HS-WD 100+ and HomeSeer HA-WD 100+ Companion switches. Also I have purchased a Samsung Connect Pro and Ecobee4 thermostat. I know I will need to add some code to the Samsung in order to unleash the full capability of the HS switches. Does this configuration seem reasonable? On the 3- and 4-way circuits on which I add the HS-WD 100+ switches, must I install the Companion switches on the other legs of said circuits or may I use “dumb” switches? Thank you!

Welcome! :sunglasses: I’ve moved this to projects so you can get individualized responses to your questions.

As far as the three-way and four-way set ups, yes, you will have to use the companion switches which are designed for use with the Homeseer masters that you have selected. (This is generally true of all brands of smart switches with the exception of the newest Zooz switches and some models of Lutron Caseta switches, both of which can sometimes be made to work with existing toggles depending on the exact wiring.)

With regard to the Advanced functionality, I know how you would do it with the original SmartThings hub, I just don’t know if that same process works with the SmartThings connect Wi-Fi system. With the old system you would find someone who had written custom code, copy their code and paste it into your account. Here’s the FAQ for that process:

And you would typically find custom code by looking on the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki. In this case you would search in the device type handlers section and look for the lighting list.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Device_Type_Handlers

But again, I just don’t know One way or the other if that process will work with the new Samsung connect.

@slagle @Tyler

1 Like

Thank you for the extensive response. Very helpful!

1 Like