Ikea Tradfri versus Philips Hue power socket

Hey All,

My installation consist of a mix of Philips Hue things and other…
I have a Hue Hub, but would like to use it as less as possible, as i also have a smartthings hub and that one gives me more possibilities…

Now i have Linked Philips Hue power sockets directly into smartthings…and i see them in my device list as Local devices…and they work as intended…

I now purchased 2 Ikea power sockets (because they are cheaper)…and i have linked them also to smartthings (Reset button, add new device in smartthings, shows up there).

I now noticed that the Hue power sockets are listed there as local devices…with zigbee id etc…
When i look at the Ikea power sockets i see there are there as cloud device…

Anybody an idea why this is…and are there pro and cons for local/cloud devices?

Thanks already for any insights…

PS. Both are working just fine…

Once the transition is complete, all hub-controlled zigbee and zwave devices Will be using edge drivers and running locally, so there’s no distinction there. :sunglasses:

Where are you looking to get the “local“ information?

Anyway, I will leave it to others to comment on other aspects of the two devices, I only use my hue plug with a hue bridge.

Are you using edge drivers? if so. it should be local. do you see them as placeholder in Type column of devices?
As i remember reading somewhere, the IDE shows those the Execution location incorrectly. it may actually be local. I dont think the will work on showing the correct info in the IDE since it likely to be phased out with groovy.

1 Like

Yep.

I see this in the device list…

Voordeur is the ikea plug
Waterval is the hue plug…

so i will leave them as is…will see what the future brings…

I’m not using edge drivers for these…
The hue i see local…the ikea as placeholder…

Ok thnx…
So the ide interface will be gone after the move…it’s a pitty because it was a good place to debug automation rules, and other stuff…
One of the nice things there is also you see the zigbee route a device is connected to…so you can see when you remove a device the other won’t work anymore probably due to distance…

Is there a replacement foir the ide web interface coming?

There hasn’t been an official announcement. Some of the IDE features are now available elsewhere. But nothing for routing information yet. :thinking:

See the following topic. You can ask specific questions there.

Life after the IDE: Questions and Answers

hey there dutch man :sweat_smile:
as i understand, your ikea plug is on edge driver but the hue plug is not.
do you use a custom Device Handler for the hue plug?

the way I check if the device is on edge driver is to look at the menu of the device by pressing the 3 dots on the device page and if I see Driver menu item present then its on edge driver. sometimes the menu item only comes up after a few seconds, so be a but patient on the device page.
If no Driver menu item then likely the device is still on the groovy

1 Like

Thnx for the info…
I checked the Ikea plug has a driver tab…the hue plug has not a driver…
i don’t use any custom, not for the plug…i just added it as a device and selected zigbee power…that’s all…

So what is now the correct thing for the future…the Ikea plug or Hue plug?

edge driver is the future.
so ikea plug is doing fine. hue ones should be going onto edge soon if i am right. so both should be fine for the future.
i would go with ikea ones since they are cheap and work similarly.
check if you have issues with stability or errors in reporting statuses. ikea ones as i know for sure that they act as zigbee repeater/extender(maybe hue plugs do so too)
I went with a xiaomi/aqara plug because it has power/energy reading too. be sure to get the right model if you are looking into it.
Update: its the aqara SP - EUC01 that i have. around 25€