Ikea button (dimmer) not working

I just realised that all my square buttons were also not working and i thought their batteries were dead.

I managed to get them working again by re-pairing them without deleting them.

You are lucky. In my case the buttons can’t be reset and do need new batteries, roughly every two days or so.

Im running into the same issue. Ive deleted them, changed, batteries, repaired them. Done everything I can think of. Ive had them route through a repeater, pair directly to the hub. Anyone have any other ideas? Ive got a strong network and dont have issues with other Zigbee devices.

Something strange is happening, both my buttons batteries have depleted on the same day, they only lasted about 4 days. The same thing happened afew weeks back, but I didn’t realise what happened.

I added new batteries and had to repair them, now they are working again
for 4 days more?

ST have messed up something recently, as the buttons worked fine for the whole last year
now recently all hell is breaking loose in my house.

My little kid just asked me, “the house isn’t smart anymore, is it, as you are always changing batteries and re pairing devices”

that comment is pretty shameful for ST! May be it should be renamed Dumb Things? That would be very appropriate for the mess they have created since the past 6 months.

2 Likes

I agree, no issues so far yet all my ikea buttons suddenly died, replaced with new batts (after they all previously said 74% batt left for some reason)

They lasted a day then gone again. 7 buttons in total. all dying at the same time. smart things have def messed something up - is best way to alert them just by leaving feedback in the app would you say? It’s infuriating.

1 Like

Yes, I have an Ikea Button and was working perfect until about a month ago

No it just doesn’t respond.
If I delete it and Pair it again it works, but for just a few days

In my case is the 2 button (on and off)

I’ve just gone through my 3rd set of batteries, I can’t afford to try a 4th set, so i will just sit tight and hope ST fix this problem in their next update :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Same problem buttons not working few days ago then replaced battery’s in all 3 then worked for a few days now not working again but still reporting 100% battery :pensive:

My IKEA buttons aren’t working now either. They’ve been fine for months but now (although they are showing as online) no actions are being recognised.
Please help- this is a real pain.

2 Likes

Confirming this as an issue for me too. I have 8 Tradfri 2 button rocker style puck dimmers in my house. After a recent power outage they all stopped working. I thought maybe it was related to the outage and maybe something put them in a strange state that drained the batteries or maybe an update made it through after the reboot. I started replacing batteries and adding some of them back again. Luckily, the ones I added came back as if nothing happened but noticed the ones I fixed started dropping again after maybe 3 days, assuming batteries died. They’re all on the same firmware version, 22010631.

All mine have died. I replaced the batteries and they work for 2 or 3 days then die again. Is ST working on this issue?

I’ve tweeted and tagged both them and IKEA support

Feel free to add your own comments and tag them again and again until they respond though as so far as I’ve had nothing.

I suspect since Samsung are selling smart things they just don’t care

UK Support assured me yesterday that Engineering state they are aware of the issue and are actively working on it.

I had to check as things went quiet on the subject about two months ago and I didn’t know what the latest score was.

Brill news, let’s hope it’s not long!

What has worked for me twice when I’ve had this issue

1. Remove battery - I had mine out for a couple hours while I went to get new one, you probably don’t need to leave it out that long though

2. Replace the battery
  3. Go into the app and add a new Ikea button, specifying the same room location etc., then press the pairing button 4 times quickly
  4. When the button is re-added, give ST 2-3 minutes then try the button
  5. If it does not work, change the device handler to the Ikea motion, wait 1 minute then change it back to the IKEA Button DTH.

All the pressed and held actions were preserved.

I’d hoped this had been resolved since this thread had gone quiet for ages, just tried mine again and STILL does the same after a couple of days - I can’t afford to go through 8 or 9 batteries a week! Anybody else still having issues? What can we do to get smartthings to listen?

Most of the discussion ended up in the thread for the five button remote. Last I heard is that ST were unable to replicate the problem. This surprises me as it seems to be triggered by changes in routing. Even rebooting the hub usually causes it. Unless it is specifically certain firmware versions of Tradfri Outlets that cause the issue rather than the buttons themselves, I am baffled it isn’t repeatable.

I’ve ripped out all my IKEA buttons except a couple that only I use. I’m still getting through batteries even with just two so they’ll probably have to go too.

Anybody has any luck as yet? According to smart things beat on Twitter this is IKEAs issue, yet their customer service doesn’t want to know as I’m only just out of one year warranty, despite this update being pushed whilst I was still within warrantee.

I’ve given up and purchased their Tradfri hub to see if get the same issue but it doesn’t seem to want to find anything other than IKEAs own devices. Interestingly though the dimmer button seems to be installing an update but it’s been going on forever.

Anybody else have any ideas? I’m so annoyed I’ve spent hundreds on kitting the place out with their switches and they’re now all unusable

I can’t see an end to the problem unless the flaw is actually in a particular chip manufacturer’s stack and that gets fixed.

IKEA seem to be withdrawing the five button dimmer and haven’t listed the on/off button for months in the UK. I probably should have anticipated this. IKEA always seem to withdraw the products I use.

I have repurposed a number of my buttons and outlets to use on the IKEA gateway to power my ‘infrastructure’ - router, ST hubs, Broadlink etc. They seem happy there, it is something I wanted to address so isn’t completely contrived, and it cuts my losses.

Still leaves me with a handful of useless buttons. Also the Ikea Motion Sensors I used to replace my Aqara sensors are basically a steaming pile of excrement. The outlets are a bit suspect too, though I am hoping that updating them all to the latest firmware has helped.

I found a friend who uses the tradfri gateway and gave him all my buttons. I probably won’t ever consider IKEA iot products in future unfortunately