Hue Dimmer Switch Connected to ST

just tried using one of these hue dimmers and i got it set up and working, but a few hours later it stopped. ah well, i guess i’ll have to return it.

Why return it because it doesn’t work with this app or it doesn’t turn on/off lights ? What exactly are you trying to do ?

it works fine, the issue is that the remote disconnects from smart things and when you press a button you get a red light, than you have to remove it from smartthings and reset the remote and re-add it to get it to work again.

Okay I understand , I use the hue dimmer switch however all mine are not connected to ST only the hue bulbs are, now the dimmer switches work fine . All my lights are also control by motion sensors but only when it starts getting dark outside. So if someone during the day time needs a light they have to use the hue dimmer switch once the bottom is pressed it take 5 minutes to register that the lights are on in the ST app. I think this is because of the polling delay, however if you use the switch it will still show up in the ST app . So I guess I’m wondering why everyone is using this app for the switch? I used this app before and things are better off without it.

well the purpose of directly attaching the switch to ST is obvious - you would be able to see an immediate action and dont need a HUE bridge - but as you say if 5 minutes is sufficient for you, your approach works but requires the HUE bridge - I tried multiple things and always got to the point where my rules and switch did interfere - as in my automation rules applied a rule as the switch feedback hasnt reached ST - simple example, turn off on motion stop (delay) - someone turns on the light via a switch, ST turns the lights off - surely this could be arranged with longer delays but then you dont save as much power as you could … another scenario - I do have a rule that applies a movie profile, eg turns down specific bulps and switches others off completely - if you want to override this by a manual switch you would need the option to doing so as otherwise, you turn the bulb back up - it takes 5 minutes for the setting to sync back to ST, ST however already re-applied the lower setting based on your profile - which is annoying (my profile looks at the power consumption of the TV outlet - this is reported multiple times per minute and if the environment has changed, the rule will be applied …

as advised, during my current stay I have now purchased 2 Osram Lightify dimmer switches to give them a go and see if they work with ST as they potentially dont look for the feedback that the HUE bridge gives to the HUE dimmer switch …

with regards to disconnect behaviour - I did see that the HUE dimmer switch, didnt disconnect like it does on ST when being connected to an Osram Lightify Gateway - so assumption here, Osram does include additional things in their code that isnt present in any of the available ones for the ST<->HUE dimmer switch integration …

Just wanted to mention that Linear has released their new zwave smart light switch cover in the US which has a similar form factor as the Osram switch (it fits over an existing light switch) and, assuming it can be set up as a button controller with SmartThings, should meet the same use cases as the Phillips dimmer switch and the Osram Lightify smart switch. Since the Linear is Z wave, however, it should not have the drop off issues that Zigbee switches do. So it may be yet another alternative for some people.

well those arent certified for the UK so wont help me unfortunately but good to point it out - though it looks - well - meh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, pretty ugly IMO but if it works it may be an alternative. Sucks that I already have 3 of the OSRAM switches and cannot get that one working reliably.

EDIT: The description says black color but picture is white, wonder which one I would actually get and if I can get white instead of black? I found another listing that doesn’t specify black or white for a few dollars more.

my hue dimmer switch has been working flawlessly since i made my first post here a few weeks back. the trick was to remove then re-add it to smartthings.

Unfortunately for me it doesnt work. No matter how many times i add and remove,… after 30 - 60min the connection is broken everytime… really annoying… otherwise the dimmer is perfect for the setup i have in mind.

same here - is there any further development/troubleshooting on this device handler? else I need to sell mine :frowning: I dont want to use the hue bridge as then I cannot use the switch as an override smaller than 5+ minutes …

not sure if some additional debugging could be enabled in the device handler to show where it breaks …

Hi @mrsmartypants is this still working for you?

it loses its connection after a few weeks, then i have to go into find new device in smartthings and press the button on the back of the remote and it starts working again after fiddling around a bit.

Thanks, looks like I’d best just add them to the hue bridge then.

Even without connecting the remote to ST – I can’t seem to get the hue bulb (no bridge) to connect to both smartthings and the dimmer switch. Every time I connect one, the bulb disconnects from the other. Is this normal? I was hoping to be able to control the bulb both ways – via ST (or echo) or the dimmer switch.

That won’t be possible.

A zigbee device can only connect to one coordinator. If you connect the bulb to the dimmer switch, it will not be able to connect directly to the SmartThings hub, and vice versa.

The Hue bridge works differently, which is why it is a “bridge.” In that case, the bridge is the zigbee coordinator for the devices connected to it, The bridge talks to SmartThings over the local area network (not zigbee), and when SmartThings wants a bulb to do something, it tells the bridge and the bridge tells the bulb.

There’s no similar arrangement between SmartThings and just a Hue dimmer switch.

So once you connect a Hub bulb directly to SmartThings, it is no longer available to talk to the hue dimmer switch, and vice versa.

2 Likes

In testing, I have found the Hue Dimmer Switch to reliable as a Button Controller with the above code and when you turn on “Allow Unsecure Rejoin (Most Compatible)” on the hub. Please know and understand your security risks before doing so.

Has anyone else had success with this?

Andie - is it still working reliably?

I am curious about this myself. Is it still working? It’s also my understanding that the security risks are very, very low. Anyone care to chime in on this, please?

1 Like

I have about 8 of these and they are still spotty, Even with insecure rejoin enabled (i understand the risks)

I have recently discovered though that they have a second Zigbee Endpoint and it is ZHA as opposed to the ZLL one that this device handler uses. I had previously used these on the HUE bridge with very customized befores for all of the buttons. It has always struck me as odd that none of this seemed possible with the clusters advertised.

The biggest one being battery, HUE can get the battery status but there is no cluster 0x0001 for that… But there is in endpoint 2. I think that Endpoint 1 is intended for connecting directly to bulbs and 2 might be what HUE uses when you connect it the the bridge.

So far I am having a hell of a time getting ST to talk to the second endpoints reliably and the dimmer loves to go to sleep and not wake up, but I have gotten battery information out of the second endpoint so there may be hope after all.

Here is the RawDescription if anyone is interested in the second endpoint

zbjoin: {
    "dni":"DAD6",
    "d":"00178801103317AA",
    "capabilities":"80",
    "endpoints":[
        {
            "simple":"01 C05E 0820 02 01 0000 05 0000 0003 0004 0006 0008",
            "application":"02",
            "manufacturer":"Philips",
            "model":"RWL020"
        },