Hub Firmware Release Notes - 18.18

Chippie, I for one hope you continue to work with/push ST developers to resolve this. I too have many Xiaomi sensors dotted around the house. To me it is clear that the recent update has prevented these sensors from doing the “handshake” after being newly paired… I have removed a device that was previously working flawlessly and re paired it. It does not do the handshake, so I am certain the recent update has somehow broken the ability to pair new Xiaomi sensors.

I do wish that I could roll back to the previous firmware version, but I guess this is not possible :frowning:

1 Like

Lets see if the new .20 beta solves anything. Unfortunately I am not on the beta so have no idea when I will receive it however am sure others will test and report back.

No idea why they are only pushing the .20 update to beta testers and NOT those who have had and still have numerous issues. Guess they have already forgotten that pretty much all issues were discovered in Production and not in the extremely short beta they managed to allocate.

A post by David_Van on the Xiaomi device handler thread unfortunately doesn’t fill me with confidence :frowning:

Me either. I’m on 18.20 now. But reliable as of now even imporoved my zwave issue so far for switches.

Im trying again without using the catchall method, but yeah Im on 18.20 and my sensor dropped off after 2 hours using catchall.

I still find using device health causes issues

I’m on 18.20 and I’ve not seen any problems at all. I do not have any of the Chinese sensors and I am absolutely not using device health…

My advice, turn that off and use a multimeter to check your batteries.

4 Likes

Same here all is good and never been better really. Although I had no issues on 18.18 either.

I have had my share of hiccups but support and dev worked through my issues some months ago and it has been very smooth ever since. Was an issue with my Samsung TV device causing issues with cloud communication. Was a total nightmare for a few weeks.

To those not seeing any issues, have you been in the app on a regular basis? Many sensors that drop offline come back on their own so you may not have see the issues unless you have been in the app at the right time. If indeed you have not experienced issues then why the inconsistency, same sensors, same f/w etc.

@bamarayne the Xiaomi senors are a separate issue really as they are not officially supported however countless people have had ‘approved’ including ST sensors dropping offline constantly, zigbee and z-wave since the update. Wonder if it is down to the size of peoples systems. There must be something that giving some countless issues yet others have experienced zero. I have around 60 devices, is that deemed a lot or not in comparison to the people with zero issues…

I just cannot get my head round the inconsistency we are seeing here.

Also ST why have you still not pushed the .20 update to the actual people who were having issues. Seems like all the feedback is from people who had zero issues in the first place so how can you see if it is actually helping fix the reported issues?

Mine’s a small system with total of 10 devices. No issues apart from battery levels.

Success! Adding my Xiaomi sensor with repeated reset button presses seems to have worked. My sensor has survived the night and is reporting battery %. :+1:

4 Likes

That is good news! Now just hoping they push the update to the majority who have had other issues to see if they are resolved.

How long will it take to do the rolling update? I still don’t have my update yet and would love to get the FW update for my Halo smoke alarm! :slight_smile:

I have sent a few emails to Support now requesting the update, no reply, nothing.

Not many beta people experienced issues so confused as to why they have not sent this update to people who actually have the issues as opposed to the beta group, actually I am not surprised in the slightest lol :grin:

Not use device health and use mutilmeter? Really on over 50 sensors. I don’t think so. And device health doesn’t effect if it’s low you will get that notification using it or not. So not seeing your point. It says if a device is offline period. And that you won’t know until you try it and it doesnt work if not using it.

Because beta people are accepting risk. What it it made it worse? Then you would be mad they pushed it on a weekend.

1 Like

Was this is reply to my post? Sorry but have no idea what you are trying to say? Did you mean to reply to a different post?

Not the point although I fully understand what beta involvement means.
Issues were not discovered in beta (it was very short), this is clearly shown by the replies above, “all ok, but then never had a problem before”. How can they test fixes on systems that have not experienced the issues. Very easy to find people with issues (above, emails etc.) and perhaps they have done that, no one has commented that the have had such contact though.

In my experience the only way to test a fix is to give it to someone who has the issues. This does not appear to have happened, at least not yet.

To be honest I do not think mine could get worse. Sensors dropping for no reason, hub going offline at night at least 3 times now etc. etc. I am not bothered about the weekend push but more to the point I have asked them to push it to me but had no reply. You would think that after all the ‘shouting’ I have done, the frustration I have aired and the emails we have exchanged they would want to shut me up :joy:

Beta testers have accepted the risk associated with testing beta software. To send an untested or under-tested software release to the public - who has not agreed to such risk, would not be a good idea. I do realize that you think it’s already broken for you so it couldn’t get much worse. But it certainly could.

However:
As a former IT manager who had software development and support teams in an FDA regulated environment for many years, I can certainly say that the SmartThings testing process obviously needs to get a lot more robust and better overall. That could mean different protocols, processes and tester population/variations - and more. But historically, the current methods have produced software releases that are much, much too buggy.

2 Likes

I was on Beta and had major issues got the other beta and fixed so far. I reported as such as that what beta is and I would not be surprised they finish rollout with the .20 and not .18. but to push out a beta to someone not signed up and it does get worse I could only imagine the comments in her lol.