How to reach Temperature from Different Sensors via Virtual Switch?

Hello,

I am try to create a virtual switch that will read Temperature readings from various sensors that I have around the house, such as, motion sensors, open/close sensors and water leak sensors.

I tried to install: Mariano Shared Beta Driver - Beta Edge Drivers and installed it on my hub as well as installed the individual Thermostats that were available to install (Zigbee and Z-Wave), however, I am running into the following issues/ questions:

1. I cannot add a virtual device for some reason after installing these drivers, I tried it in the past with other drivers and it worked fine but right not for some reason it’s not working.
    When I got to discover devices “near by” it finds no devices to add.

I unplugged and plug back the hub but that didn’t do anything. anything else I can do to fix it so I can add these virtual devices to my hub?

1. Would the proposed solution of adding virtual thermostat work? can these read the temperature reading off of the various sensors?

2. Is there a better, easier solution that you can recommend?

What is it you are trying to accomplish? Are you looking to turn on a virtual switch if any or all temperatures are above/below a specific value?

Perhaps if we knew what the end result you are seeking members of the forum could make more solid suggestions…

3 Likes

I am trying to read the temperatures from all the sensors that have the ability to read temp but that it’s not their main function and display it as a virtual sensor that just tells me the temp.

For example, I have an open/close sensor from Smartthings that has Temp. reading but when I go to the Smartthings app, I see Open/Close and I need to click on the sensor to view the actual temp. I was hoping a virtual sensor (thermostat such as the one shared by Mariano) can do that.

Recommended simple solution

SmartThings platform: Using SmartThings’ virtual device feature, you can simply create and manage virtual sensors. Use its automation features to aggregate temperature data from different sensors into a virtual device.

IFTTT or other automation tools: Use the IFTTT (If This, Then That) platform to automatically transmit sensor data to virtual devices. This approach usually does not require complex programming and can achieve cross-platform integration.

You don’t need to do anything, you’ve already done it in the status tiles of the App, click on it and you can see the temperature of each of the devices that measure temperature.

You can see it on the main favorites page or in the room where each device is.

1 Like

Thank you, Mariano. It shows it for some devices but not for all. I have other devices that are not Samsung and they have Temperature and readings but it only shows their main functional status.

For example, I have an open/close sensor that has a temp function (not Samsung) and it’s not showing it in the favorites.
Same with a motion sensor, I can see temp when I got to the sensor but it’s not showing up when I look at the house temp by room in the favorites panel at the top of the app.

Thank you, Iliana.

I tried to install: Mariano Shared Beta Driver - Beta Edge Drivers and installed it on my hub as well as installed the individual Thermostats that were available to install (Zigbee and Z-Wave), however, I am running into the following issues/ questions:

I cannot add a virtual device for some reason after installing these drivers, I tried it in the past with other drivers and it worked fine but right not for some reason it’s not working.
When I got to discover devices “near by” it finds no devices to add.

I was able to create a vEdge virtual device, however, HOW do I have it read and take the temperature from another device and display it as it’s own temp in the Smartthings app?

You can use Rules API rule for copying temperature value from real device to virtual device.

Rules API rule example:

Thank you, this is very helpful. Is there a good guide that you can recommend that will walk me through the step by step as to where to paste this code and where to get the device IDs from and to (assuming virtual sensor will receive them).

You can use my.smartthings.com advanced to make Rules API rules

I am trying to use the script and I pasted the device ID from the web interface “device id” section and it gives me this error.

Any idea why?

I tried with “Device ID” and without “_”. First error is with " " and second one is without " "

Maybe this example will help you