How to get an alert in case of power outage/failure?

Actually I’d prefer both approaches … the batteries out method and one of the wellness check SmartApps.

Would this Wellness Check SmartApp work with my sensors? If so, how do I “download” or use the app? … https://github.com/erocm123/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/smartapps/erocm123/device-monitor.src/device-monitor.groovy

Thanks again!

Custom code FAQ. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Another option is the following:

If you have an android phone or tablet that you are planning to use as a main controller, install tasker and sharptools. Then set Tasker to toggle a virtual switch when the power goes out which can trigger a notification.

Alternatively you can use core and tasker to do the same thing and bypass the virtual switch completely.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Cool idea … I’ll try to do that too. I actually use Automagic Premium instead of Tasker, but hopefully it will work.

I’m happy to see all these good ideas.

Thanks!

Tasker is pretty powerful. You can even use it and a few other plugins together to control your home. Case in point:

2 Likes

Very cool … it sure is going to take me a while to absorb all this. It sure it fun, though!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Well … I got the "Device Monitor - Get Notified if Devices Stop Reporting " working, but noticed it only alerts me after the device has been inactive for an hour. So I’ve been trying to figure out the solution which uses a relay with a door/window sensor. I think I get the basic concept, but was wondering if anyone has any specifics of how to wire the relay to power and then how to wire the relay to the z-wave window sensor so it will send an alert.

Thanks for any help!

I have AT&T Digital Life - they use z-wave for their devices, but some of their devices have a battery backup - I have integrated that into ST (I can see all window and door contact sensors in ST) - and some of the devices (keypad, repeater, siren, DLC) will let me know if the power is off of mains or battery. But I’m a special case :wink: Perhaps one could find a device that has a battery backup - maybe the wired Nest Protect, for example? and use that to figure out power status.

1 Like

Thanks … That sound’s like a good solution. Although, I’m wondering if it will have the same delay as the wellness check SmartApp. It probably will depend on what device I find, so I’ll do more searching to see if there’s something what would send an immediate alert.

That’s why I’m leaning toward a relay with an open/close sensor. It sounds like it sends a quick alert … that is if I can figure out how to do it and what sensor to get.

The Aeotec siren has a battery backup. Check the DTH to see if it provides information on the power supply, whether mains or battery - you should get an immediate warning, if the siren reports that.

2 Likes

BTW, I tried this yesterday and it worked great! Thank you for the suggestion. It has a 10 minute delay, though, to get a notification. Is that a factor of the ST Hub?

It looks like I still have a ton to learn, since I didn’t know what a DTH was. Now I know it’s a Device Type Handler. I think I found the Aeotec Siren DTH at … https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/ide/device/create. How do I tell, from reading the DTH, whether it has a power supply alert function? Or should install the DTH and see what choices it give me? Sorry for the ignorant newbie questions.

I don’t see any power related thing in there :frowning:

1 Like

Are you looking at the Metadata to figure that out? Based on Metadata, it looks like the Aeon Multisensor 6 might have the capability for power supply, if I’m reading it right … https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/ide/device/create

capability "Motion Sensor"
	capability "Temperature Measurement"
	capability "Relative Humidity Measurement"
	capability "Illuminance Measurement"
	capability "Ultraviolet Index"
	capability "Configuration"
	capability "Sensor"
	capability "Battery"
	capability "Health Check"
	attribute "tamper", "enum", ["detected", "clear"]
	attribute "batteryStatus", "string"
	attribute "powerSupply", "enum", ["USB Cable", "Battery"]

:slight_smile:

That’s the multisensor, not the siren. Yeah, that powerSupply would be it. The multisensor can’t be powered by both, unfortunately, so it won’t serve your purpose.

1 Like

Hmmm … so it looks like I’ll be searching to find the perfect device and/or figuring out how to make a relay work with an open/close switch. Still so much to learn, which I enjoy.

Thanks so much for the help and please let me know of any other suggestions you might have.

:relaxed:

The relay would have to be an always-on, energized coil. Consider power consumption as well, after all, you’ll be running it 24/7. I’d rather find a device that can run off both power and battery and disclose which it uses.

2 Likes

@Olliesshop
The mimolite sends a notification instantly when power drops.

I use this device as an input to read the open or closed status of an automated skylight, the skylight has digital inpuits and outputs. Sending notification of a power loss is an added bonus.

The meta data is “Attribute” “Powered” and the smart app that I use to get the actual notifications is
"MimoLite Power Is Out"

@Olliesshop Also, many UPS’s can be connected by USB to a computer and the computer can be programmed to send out an email when the UPS detects power loss. I have a Synology NAS, that has a USB cable to the UPS and the synology NAS sends me notification if I ever lose power.

@bridaus are you saying remove the batteries from the ST Hub and NOT have the hub plugged into the UPS?

Or are you saying remove the batteries and leave the HUB attached to the UPS to get notifications?

I have my hub plugged into a UPS as well and would prefer that the hub remain active during a power outage.

1 Like

FWIW, I have my Ademco Vista 20P alarm panel integrated with SmartThings via an Arduino and AD2Pi from Alarm Decoder. The alarm panel detects when its on its battery and I have mine setup where it will alert me when it goes from AC to battery and battery back to AC. I get this notification immediately plus the added benefit of having my hardwired alarm panel integrated into SmartThings. Full disclosure I have a UPS that my cable modem, router, and SmartThings hub are plugged into which keeps it alive during short power outages. The ADT alarm panel integrated is is documented here:

Stan and I are close to publishing a new version that will include the feature above.

1 Like