How can I have my Aeron Siren give a short beep when a door is opened or closed?

Can anyone help me to have my Aeron Siren give a short beep when a door is opened or closed??? thanks!

You can use a custom monitor in SHM or other SmartApps like Speaker Notify with Sound or CoRE to make it beep if you’re using the device handler below.

1 Like

Thank you.

But how do I install this and use it? Please bear with my inexperience. Thanks!

=============================

GARY A. ROSENBERG

Attorney at Law

Professor of Law

Voice: 818-883-9545

Facsimile: 818-883-0977

grosenberg@logar-online.com

www.logar-online.com

Law Offices Of Gary A. Rosenberg

A Professional Corporation

6400 Canoga Avenue, Suite 205

Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Thanks but I don’t know how to install this? What are the detailed steps I need to use to make this work? Thanks for your help!

This page explains how to use custom SmartApps and Device Handlers:

OK, I’ve been able to create a new device handler with the code - but how do I edit the device itself to use the new device handler??? I don’t see where I can do that

Go to My Devices in the IDE and then click your device and change the “type”. The custom device handlers will be located at the very bottom of the list.

Once you’ve changed the device handler, open the device in the mobile app, go into the settings and tap Done.

Thanks and I got this to work. However, now the question is what to specifically do to have the alarm just make a “beep” (NOT an alarm!) when a particular door opens or closes. Any help there?

Which SmartApp do you plan on using to monitor the door?

I’m not actually sure – that is part of the help I need as to what is best to be able to just make a beep when opened and closed. I want to be able to know if a door in my home is being used when I’m not near it

Thanks!

GARY A. ROSENBERG

www.logar-online.com

Woodland Hills, CA 91367

THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED, AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE COMMUNICATION TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY TELEPHONE AND RETURN THE ORIGINAL COMMUNICATION TO US AT THE ABOVE ADDRESS VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE. THANK YOU.

Here are instructions for setting this up using Smart Home Monitor.

1. In the mobile app, go to the dashboard page.

2. Click the settings icon

3. On the Configure screen, tap Custom

4. Tap New Monitoring Rule

5. Choose Open/Close Sensor

6. Select the sensor you want to monitor

7. Specify whether you want it to monitor for open, closed or both.

8. Tap Next

9. Tap Audio Notifications

10. Choose the Siren from the Audio Player drop down.

11. Change the Notification field to “Custom Message”.

12. Enter custombeep1 into the play this message field.

13. Tap done.

The device handler has 6 beeps preset that you can use. custombeep1, custombeep2, and custombeep3 play 1 beep and custombeep4, custombeep5, and custombeep6 play 3 short beeps.

There’s additional information on the page with the device handler that explains all the other beep related things you can do.

1 Like

Kevin

Thank you so much for the help and instructions!

Gary

1 Like

Thanks Kevin. It is working except even though I set the beep as a single beep - it keeps beeping about 3 times! I've tried different settings but it seems to keep doing it.

Any suggestions?

GARY A. ROSENBERG

Attorney at Law

Professor of Law

www.logar-online.com

Woodland Hills, CA 91367

O e more thing. If I set it to beep only when open - it also beeps when closed! Help!

Can you post screenshots of the page where you specify what you want to monitor and the audio notifications screen?

Kevin,

Here you go.

It seems that there are multiple (I think 2 now) beeps when opening or closing the door. Also, when I have tried your custom beep buttons, there are no changes.

Thanks for all of your help on this – you are great and appreciated!

Gary

Can you post a screenshot of the device’s settings screen in the mobile app?

You can see that I have posted the screen shots for you. Why am I getting multiple beeps when the door opens AND when it closes - even if I set it to just bee upon opening?

In my last post I asked for a screenshot of the device settings, which you haven’t posted…

Ooops! Sorry - here they are